Wilson's Knee Brace

Foghawk

Reaction score
So, Wilson hasn't been listed on the injury report for a few weeks now yet he is still wearing a brace on the left knee. It's something I've been looking for at the start of the last few games, just to see if he'd lost it yet or not. Now I'm starting to wonder if there isn't more to the injury than just a "sprain"? Just a precautionary measure? MCL tear? Something a little loose in there?

Just curious what others, especially anybody in the medical / rehab field may have to say about this?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
A sprain is a tear. His brace did break last night and I believe he came back in with it off. I think it was after one of the reviews. Since they allowed that, that tells me it is precautionary at this point. I don't recall if he came back out with it on during the next series.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
My educated guess is that the brace is entirely precautionary at this point to give him some extra protection from further injury for that MCL. The ligament is mostly "healed," but will continue to heal and strengthen. I expect him to finish the season in the light knee brace.

Seafan

Reaction score
The brace provides support for the knee. The MCL is either stretched or torn. It isn't doing it's job. The brace helps to stabilize the knee joint.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2bsfxz03 said:
A sprain is a tear. His brace did break last night and I believe he came back in with it off. I think it was after one of the reviews. Since they allowed that, that tells me it is precautionary at this point. I don't recall if he came back out with it on during the next series.

Wilson came out around 2 weeks ago and said he was keeping it on for "a while" as a precaution. Also, he seemed to think it did not limit him much.

cosmicdebris

Reaction score
I'm no medical expert but it is my understanding that the MCL adds stability to the knee. I imagine it is still weaker than normal so he may have it just to be protected from an even worse injury to the other ligaments in his knee.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It's all speculation, although reasonable, it's still speculating.

Unless he/they come out with something official we just won't know for sure.

Now, if he has a surgery on it in the off season, we'll know that some of us were "spot on".

I've known a couple of guys that I played softball with that although they were told that they were healed up 100%, and no further damage would/could be done, still wore a brace because it gave them confidence.
Although this is me speculating, it's another possibility. Maybe he's just not sure in his own mind, and he likes the added confidence.

IDK.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Hard to know how open he truly is but around two weeks ago he answered a Q about that, and said that he could easily play without the brace but would wear it for a bit longer, yes 'out of precaution.'

Hawks46

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1nv9ztxf said:
Hard to know how open he truly is but around two weeks ago he answered a Q about that, and said that he could easily play without the brace but would wear it for a bit longer, yes 'out of precaution.'

This is exactly what I would say if I wanted to keep people from taking shots at my injured knee.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
cosmicdebris":xoxnagwp said:
I'm no medical expert but it is my understanding that the MCL adds stability to the knee. I imagine it is still weaker than normal so he may have it just to be protected from an even worse injury to the other ligaments in his knee.

In my educated opinion, you are about 99% correct.

sutz

Reaction score
By the rules, I believe the team is not required to list a player on the injury report unless he misses or is limited in practice. Russ has been full participation for several weeks, so even if his knee might not be "100%" yet (and we just don't know for sure) the team doesn't have to report or discuss it if he's not missing practice. In fact, teams will avoid discussing injuries to preclude opponents from targeting, you know, the whole "sweep the knee" thing. And of course, in the pressers, if the press asks about it, the team in general will give them the old "he's fine" line.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RW ran the ball just 3 times Thursday night but all 3 went for first downs. He has for sure been much more mobile in the past few games than before, his carry stats do show it.

But in that same presser when he answered about the brace he did so hesitantly and added that 'I don't like to talk about my injuries.'

253hawk

Reaction score
A lot of OL wear braces on both knees even though they've never had a knee injury in their lives, because they know they'll inevitably get rolled up on. Granted, they don't need to be as mobile as a shifty QB.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russ wore it just because we were playing the scummy Rams.

OP
OP
Foghawk

Foghawk

Reaction score
sutz":1e2nduns said:
By the rules, I believe the team is not required to list a player on the injury report unless he misses or is limited in practice. Russ has been full participation for several weeks, so even if his knee might not be "100%" yet (and we just don't know for sure) the team doesn't have to report or discuss it if he's not missing practice. In fact, teams will avoid discussing injuries to preclude opponents from targeting, you know, the whole "sweep the knee" thing. And of course, in the pressers, if the press asks about it, the team in general will give them the old "he's fine" line.

I wasn't sure about the rule on this, but what you're saying makes sense.

OP
OP
Foghawk

Foghawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2hzuovtc said:
RW ran the ball just 3 times Thursday night but all 3 went for first downs. He has for sure been much more mobile in the past few games than before, his carry stats do show it.'

I agree, but he still looks to me like maybe 80% - 85% when running. Seems more hesitant to go for it, I thought there were a number of times he should have kept it on RO plays against Green Bay. :229031_shrug:

chris98251

Reaction score
Goff had a knee brace as well, as far as Wilson, he may be protecting it long term tendons and ligaments take a long time to heal once torn and or stretched and the looseness feeling may still be there or the Dr's believe so since it really has not had time to tighten up with him playing and practicing, or he could have other issues that nobody but insiders know and after the season we get Wilson is having a clean up on the knee or some other small procedure.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3mq464yw said:

Depends on what degree of sprain it is. In a first degree sprain the fibrous of the ligament are stretched but still intact.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
253hawk":3dovsgpv said:
A lot of OL wear braces on both knees even though they've never had a knee injury in their lives, because they know they'll inevitably get rolled up on. Granted, they don't need to be as mobile as a shifty QB.

I wouldn't be surprised if Russ wore it just because we were playing the scummy Rams.
Wise move. Those bums were diving at knees all day long. Knowing our luck, and the Rams' owner, Bounty Gate Williams will be retained.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

sutz

Reaction score
253hawk":2pgb03qq said:

You see a lot of that in college. Some school programs may be requiring them. Perhaps they carry it over to their pro career.

RW92

Reaction score
Does anyone think he will wear it during the playoffs?