Re-watched the Rams game

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
A few things stood out.

- #99 Donald on the Rams is a very bad man. He's probably singlehandedly the reason we didn't throw up a 40-burger against them. Dude is scary and talented.

- Baldwin had a really bad game. In spite of the touchdown, he was almost invisible this game, and even when he was there, the passes were short and didn't go for the first down if they were caught.

- Lockett had a beast of a game. We could have targeted him twice as much and probably have gotten twice the yards and twice the touchdowns out of him. He's emerging into a superstar.

- #16 Goff, the Rams quarterback, is a huge pile of suck. Seriously, he was terrible this game. Accuracy off, bad decisions, bad mechanics. The works. Even his hand-offs to the running back were terrible most of the time. His terrible aim is the only reason we didn't have a couple more picks this game. I wouldn't trade our #16 for their #16 even if they threw in a first round draft pick and a happy meal.

- Overall, linebackers had a helluva day. All of them were pretty much spot on. Morgan was absolute money on a tackle for loss.

- The run game wasn't there. At all. Aside from a couple of back-to-back solid runs, no one had any success running the ball on the Seahawks side. No one.

- Ifedi was beat all day. Like a red-headed stepchild. Like a rented mule. Like the printer in Office Space. And the penalties. He did not have a great game at all.

- Their fake punt was one of the worst fake punts I've seen. Telegraphed the whole way, and he badly underthrew a receiver who wouldn't have even made the first down anyway. Ours, on the other hand, was one of the most well executed fake punts I've seen in a while. Aside from the Ryan fumble at the end, it couldn't have been drawn up better.

- Wilson wasn't spot on, but he wasn't bad. Yes, the late interception was all on him, and I didn't see a damned thing that would have made me believe he thought he had a free play there. It was just a stupid decision on his part. But if he'd have directed every pass he threw to Kearse toward Lockett, he'd have been almost perfect on the day.

ballard1951

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1bh3kbzk said:
A few things stood out.
Like a red-headed stepchild.

As a European, I am not familiar with this expression. Whats wrong with redheaded stepchildren? I have one, and she is cute and really smart.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thanks Sailor. I only caught part of the 2nd half due to an office xmas party but plan to go back and watch it in it's entirety. Wasn't expecting Goff or the LA offense to have much of a day. Glad to see that we scored some points.

I always come away from Rams games feeling like they're just not a good measuring stick for our defense at all. Their offense is just terrible.

Seymour

Reaction score

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As much as I defend Bevell, I think we've abandoned the run game far too soon in a lot of games this year............the Ram's game included.

I understand that the Ram's have a great front seven that makes it very hard to run on. But as we were building a lead I wanted us to try and pound the rock more and more.

With as bad as this O-line is at pass protection, IMO it's imperative we try to run more, even if it's unsuccessful at times. Can't keep being one dimensional letting these good front sevens (another one coming in this weekend) just pin their ears back and tee off on Russell.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good point. A few stops and they just seem to abandon it. Many times, they wait until the beginning of the 2nd half to start running the ball. Even in the Green Bay debacle, the one thing that WAS working was the running game. Impatient sometimes imo. Rawls had 5+ yards a carry in the GB game. Just because the team is down doesn't mean you should just stop pounding the rock.

AgentDib

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3uxw1ias said:
Even in the Green Bay debacle, the one thing that WAS working was the running game. Impatient sometimes imo. Rawls had 5+ yards a carry in the GB game. Just because the team is down doesn't mean you should just stop pounding the rock.
Teams definitely abandon the run too quickly. The YPA on a running play is less than half that of a passing play and it's easy to see how coaches get lured into Norm Chow syndrome as a result. Part of the benefit of the running game is allowing your defense to rest and so having a strong head coach that can keep both sides of the team working in unison is important. A couple of times each previous year Pete has had to come out and emphasize that we are a running team.

That being said, I understand why they went away from the run in GB. Not simply because of the score differential at half time, but also because of how sharp Rodgers was looking (80% completion rate, 10+ yards per target?). A neutral observer would have expected GB to add a couple of scores and they likely would have done so even if we hadn't made it easy for them with all of the INTs. Based on how that game was looking at half-time our best shot probably was to let our franchise QB air it out, and unfortunately he and the receivers were both pretty off that day.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I am glad we did not totally blow the doors off the Rams. Blowouts leads to complacency with this team. As much as they preach one game at a time this team is emotional so it is even harder to do. This team tends to play better if they feel they are not doing well as a unit. We played well enough to win but did have some things we can improve and focus on. I am happy with the way things went.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ballard1951":2z0fnrwx said:
Seahawk Sailor":2z0fnrwx said:
A few things stood out.
Like a red-headed stepchild.

As a European, I am not familiar with this expression. Whats wrong with redheaded stepchildren? I have one, and she is cute and really smart.

I believe the expression comes from Europe. I cannot find a source but I read somewhere, long time ago, that after the potato famine in Ireland (1845-1852), many of the children were adopted by English families.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2g26yif1 said:
- Wilson wasn't spot on, but he wasn't bad. Yes, the late interception was all on him, and I didn't see a damned thing that would have made me believe he thought he had a free play there. It was just a stupid decision on his part. But if he'd have directed every pass he threw to Kearse toward Lockett, he'd have been almost perfect on the day.

Seriously? You didn't see the RDE, #97 Sims lurch forward slightly before the snap? He didn't appear to cross the line, but if you're seeing that movement out of the corner of your eye I can see where he would think there might be a free play there. He's lined up over Fant. They even did a zoomed in replay focusing on Donald and Sims is in the shot.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Seanhawk":71rjjctk said:
Seahawk Sailor":71rjjctk said:

Seriously? You didn't see the RDE, #97 Sims lurch forward slightly before the snap? He didn't appear to cross the line, but if you're seeing that movement out of the corner of your eye I can see where he would think there might be a free play there. He's lined up over Fant. They even did a zoomed in replay focusing on Donald and Sims is in the shot.

Yep. Saw that. Just re-watched that play again. Wilson was pressured by Donald and threw it into triple coverage. There was no flag, no indication the play was anything other than a standard play. The defense was jumping around on the play just as they had on many other plays. Great quarterback, stupid decision.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":6dok07i3 said:
Seanhawk":6dok07i3 said:
Seahawk Sailor":6dok07i3 said:

Yep. Saw that. Just re-watched that play again. Wilson was pressured by Donald and threw it into triple coverage. There was no flag, no indication the play was anything other than a standard play. The defense was jumping around on the play just as they had on many other plays. Great quarterback, stupid decision.

I'm not saying it wasn't a stupid decision, a QB has to be sure there, but Sims definitely moved forward prior to the snap.

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":wgvm7omc said:
A few things stood out.

- #99 Donald on the Rams is a very bad man. He's probably singlehandedly the reason we didn't throw up a 40-burger against them. Dude is scary and talented.

- Ifedi was beat all day. Like a red-headed stepchild. Like a rented mule. Like the printer in Office Space. And the penalties. He did not have a great game at all.
Although I enjoy quickness, I also enjoy watching good hand fighting. So watching Aaron Donald was a treat.

Position theory says that a defensive line can be as good as it's best linemen. With an offensive line, position theory says it can be only as good as it's weakest linemen. Although, Donald had success going up against both guards, Ifedi was the weaker of the two. Aaron Donald feasted. What a schooling.