KJ Wright Contract Revisited

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I didn't like the extension back then, but he has been well worth it. KJ is the epitome of a professional.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
gotta admit at the time I thought that it was money better used elsewhere, how wrong I was, Wags has been lights out this year but KJ has been all pro, I tend to believe he's our surest tackler, if he gets his hands on a guy he's going down or he's slowed so somebody else can get him down but it's rare few who get past him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3myvm7g3 said:
I didn't like the extension back then, but he has been well worth it. KJ is the epitome of a professional.

Agreed.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Along with the Kam deal, the KJ deal was showing some amazing foresight. Both guys signed for more than seemed okay and both guys have more than earned their deals. Love it. That play vs TB at the end of the half was insane.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
KJ is hands down the most money linebacker I have seen against the screen in the last 10 years.

rcaido

Reaction score
I thought it was stupid for them to sign him for that much...Now im feeling stupid for doubting them.

Best pickup

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
He is a beast against the run and screens, no doubt. But I can't pretend I haven't seen him getting burned in coverage all season.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seahawks4eva":39uh1ey2 said:
He is a beast against the run and screens, no doubt. But I can't pretend I haven't seen him getting burned in coverage all season.

This seems a bit hyperbolic. Do you have specific instances for this season.

Geologic

Reaction score
I loved the contract but I also remember him replacing Aaron Curry and playing awesome

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I loved the deal at the time.

KJ was a central piece of our makeover from the Holmgren/Mora teams to the Carrol teams. Was a good quality player. And possessed unique qualities at the time of signing.

But more than that, I felt like it was a real example of Seattle taking care of it's own. At the time, there was significant worry about how Seattle would keep the band together. And there was recent history of us coveting outside UFA talents more than our own (Avril, Bennett and Harvin -- losing Clemons/Bryant). The Wright deal to me was a clear signal that this team wanted to resign our core players to second deals, rather than let guys go and just rookie treadmill them in perpetuity.

It was important to establishing the team culture as it stands today at a time when our roster structure was transitioning from fire-sale/rebuild model into a mature, retention/reload model.

Wright was one of the first organic draft picks of the Carrol era to get rewarded and retained. I felt that precedent critical to building the team as it's stood for the last couple years.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We're getting a bargain on quite a few players including Wright. Throw in Kam, Bennett and Avril, all underpaid right now compared to stats and league averages for their positions.

Gonna be an interesting off season to see if we can extend these guys.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11waoxka said:
We're getting a bargain on quite a few players including Wright. Throw in Kam, Bennett and Avril, all underpaid right now compared to stats and league averages for their positions.

Gonna be an interesting off season to see if we can extend these guys.
When is Britt due? Could be pricey too.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Funny enough, he's probably underpaid now. JS nailed this one.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1hzeiqbx said:
Signed through 2017.

Rounding off, his 2017 salary is $0.9M and his cap hit is $1.1M.

Considering he's only 25 y/o and he's finally found his best position at center and playing rather well, the team should extend him this off-season... somewhere near $5.0M/year average would be my guess.

The All-Pro centers (Frederick, the Pouncey brothers, Mack and Kalil) are in the $8.5 - $9.5M/year range... and the next tier is $6.5 - $7.5. Players in the range include Unger, Mangold, Kelce and Wood. And after that, average salaries start going downhill rather fast.

Here's the list of centers from overthecap.com

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":q8q8kdjv said:
LeftHandSmoke":q8q8kdjv said:
Signed through 2017.

Rounding off, his 2017 salary is $0.9M and his cap hit is $1.1M.

Considering he's only 25 y/o and he's finally found his best position at center and playing rather well, the team should extend him this off-season... somewhere near $5.0M/year average would be my guess.

The All-Pro centers (Frederick, the Pouncey brothers, Mack and Kalil) are in the $8.5 - $9.5M/year range... and the next tier is $6.5 - $7.5. Players in the range include Unger, Mangold, Kelce and Wood. And after that, average salaries start going downhill rather fast.

Here's the list of centers from overthecap.com

Any contract through 2017 means it's time to restructure, Britt included.

Luckily for us with Britt is he's not in the upper tier of centers.................yet. So we should be able to sign him to a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable price.

Avril and Bennett worry me though. Bennett's made it clear that the discount era of Michael Bennett is over, and he expects to be paid. Avril is having his best year yet, so both are going to be monster contracts.

titan3131

Reaction score
Avril has suffered being on a 0-16 lions team, he has a very good perspective on his role on the team.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
At the time, I was elated that we retained KJ, but I also thought the price was a little on the high side.
In retrospect, his contract has been a bargain and his play has been superb.