A 2016 Jermaine Kearse article - be nice

Jville

Reaction score
A 2016 Jermaine Kearse article - be nice >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/12/no-good-rotten-bad-jermaine-kearse-season.html[/urltargetblank]

...... it’s hard to pin Kearse’s statistical regression on any one thing. Kearse’s targets are at an all time high while his raw production is at an all time low, and you don’t have to look too hard to find out why. But it’s just a few plays that have taken Jermaine’s 2016 from slump to disaster, and those plays have little to do with Kearse himself.

Those familiar with my #KearseKrew membership may see this as little more than excuse making, but really this is a call to optimism. Kearse may not be as broken as he seems, which would be a huge boon to an offense ranked just 17th in DVOA. And wouldn’t it be just like Jermaine to have a big bounce back come the playoffs?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He has not proved anything this year thus far so why keep faith in him?He is just another good blocker at this point but we can get more with say McEvoy

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Kearse is catching only half the balls thrown his way, but his drop rate is only 2%. That means a lot of his "targets" are not catchable passes.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I really have no clue how he's been as bad as he's been as a receiver. At least his blocking is still on point, it'll come in handy in the play-offs. I'm glad Lockett was bumped up to WR2 though, Kearse just didn't bring enough anymore at that spot.

Largent80

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2sysk6vj said:
Kearse is catching only half the balls thrown his way, but his drop rate is only 2%. That means a lot of his "targets" are not catchable passes.

RW has been ATROCIOUS throwing the ball to Kearse. Almost every throw is high, low, behind or way over the head. RW is not having a very good year accuracy wise. He has games where he is Godly and lately it's God Damnly.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's currently at 65 percent completion percentage, the 2nd best of his career. Does feel like he's had some off games accuracy wise, but running for his life hasn't helped either.
His completion percentage for his career is 64.8.
Currently at 3611 yards, 16 TD/11 Picks (5 in one game, not all on him but a horrific game regardless)
Pretty decent numbers for a lot quarterbacks. But he certainly can play a lot better, and I suspect he will.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Largent80":2vri3hzx said:
KiwiHawk":2vri3hzx said:

RW has been ATROCIOUS throwing the ball to Kearse. Almost every throw is high, low, behind or way over the head. RW is not having a very good year accuracy wise. He has games where he is Godly and lately it's God Damnly.

Then can we infer that the simple answer is separation, or lack thereof? Baldwin and Lockett get it, and Kearse simply doesn't.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Largent80":3drdsyf5 said:
KiwiHawk":3drdsyf5 said:

That is so overly simplistic

It's not simply about a ball falling right through his hands. It's route running. It's being in the right position. It's beating your man and positioning your body in front of the ball.

A receiver not doing his job properly can make any QB look bad. It could make a throw look way off or it can lead to a turnover that wouldn't have happened to a Baldwin or Lockette. Two receivers who are probably more often than not does the little things as a receiver well. The things we don't see on tv unless we sit back and watch film

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":27azne46 said:
It's not simply about a ball falling right through his hands. It's route running. It's being in the right position. It's beating your man and positioning your body in front of the ball.

A receiver not doing his job properly can make any QB look bad. It could make a throw look way off or it can lead to a turnover that wouldn't have happened to a Baldwin or Lockette. Two receivers who are probably more often than not does the little things as a receiver well. The things we don't see on tv unless we sit back and watch film

The dislike for Kearse around here is sometimes rather overwhelming. worse still it is often unfair and uninformed (not blaming you on that point). I agree on your description above and therein Kearse is not bad at beating his man and being in the right place, etc..

Scorpion I would bet there is a very large factor of RW missing his target location this year as he has been quite unusually inaccurate this season. it has been the subject odf reatitive commentaary here sinc e the start of the season, at times he appears off. In Kearse's case we don't know the precise routes called in the huddle or do we know that Kearse was not in exactly the right spot in most all of the passes he didn't catch. Attaching all the blame to him seems very unrealistic. It's not as if he is dropping the ball thrown off his hands,unlike others. As well Kearse has made RW look good inthe past with some key clutch catches in recent key moments of key games.

Kearse is a slightly bigger WR than all the others except McEvoy and is pretty good at muscling for the ball so he becomes a target when RW is just tossing it up. Tossing it up foolishly is what happened on that throw into triple coverage Wilson made for an INT in the last game. Blaming the WR on that play is very unrealistic. The missed pass to Baldwin was an example of an inaccurate throw from RW. The missed TDs in the GB game are others.

Kearse is being scapegoated around here by those who are the folks who kvetch each time the team doesn't score on every possession or Intercept every opposing pass thrown etc. We all need to remember these are game played against other teams with professional football players who are trying to beat our team. That has happened zero times at home this season and 4 times on the road with only 1 game not being very close.

The Hawks passing game is Ok it's their running game that has me most concerned and Kearse is a positive player there.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":2geesqlf said:
KiwiHawk":2geesqlf said:

As tough as I have been on Kearse this season, I will admit there is truth to this. Could be that he is so late in the progression nowadays that he gets the hurried / rattled throws. That said he has clearly flat out missed several decent throws as well.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hey Scorpion. RW throwing bad passes is not simplistic. It is simply BAD throwing. Of which he has done a TON of this season. See 5 picks in one game. One of those was an atrocious forcing the ball to Keasre. Horribly underthrown. Say what you want but my take is not simplistic, it is fact.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
For those arguing that Kearse's play has been good, or even decent, I leave the following without comment:

Russell Wilson's QB Rating if he were to throw every pass directly into the ground: 39.6

Russell Wilson's QB Rating when targeting Kearse in 2016: 39.9

It is at almost 100.0 when targeting EVERYBODY ELSE on the team.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
In one sentence:

Wilson, 35 yard pass to Kearse in overtime, to send the Seahawks back to the Superbowl, 28 to 22, in the most unlikely comeback and extraordinary finish, with Aaron Rodgers swallowing bitter pills and Michael Bennett riding a bicycle.

My favourite Seahawk win ever, and I for one will never be critical of Jermaine Kearse.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Palmegranite":39iaams6 said:
In one sentence:

Wilson, 35 yard pass to Kearse in overtime, to send the Seahawks back to the Superbowl, 28 to 22, in the most unlikely comeback and extraordinary finish, with Aaron Rodgers swallowing bitter pills and Michael Bennett riding a bicycle.

My favourite Seahawk win ever, and I for one will never be critical of Jermaine Kearse.

he was awful prior to the catch any wr should make in the ot. the past cant forgive the present. fact is he has been terrible and now an afterthought in the offenxe. his salary dollars could be better allocated to other positions...not a 5th string wr...

Seymour

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2ydygpkp said:
In one sentence:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/fL0L3vZmLZE

jammerhawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1wz1y1qs said:
For those arguing that Kearse's play has been good, or even decent, I leave the following without comment:

Russell Wilson's QB Rating if he were to throw every pass directly into the ground: 39.6

Those numbers are certainly stark but they are numbers and don't deal with the situations on the field. so they can arguably in part fall within the Lies, damn lies, and statistics arguments. The team is about competition and there are reasons why the coaches are starting kearse ahead of the other WRs.

I'm not saying he's good and think McEvoy might be a better choice as the big WR, and Lockett is playing very well and deserves more PT.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2xwpf3hk said:

And yet Kearse's drop rate is very low at 2%.

If it's not being caught, and it's not being dropped, then it means the pass was defended, or inaccurate, or intercepted.

Wrong route? Maybe, but why would he be targeted if his route was wrong?

I buy the "late read" idea - Kearse is down in the read order, so by the time he's targeted, Wilson is under fire and throwing fro inhospitable circumstances. The difference is if he throws it directly into the ground, it's intentional grounding. If he throws a desperation toss to Kearse, there's a chance, however slim, of a completion.

Also note that 13 of Kearse's targets are in the red zone. The field is compressed. It's harder to get separation or maintain it for very long. Kearse has 0 red zone catches in 13 targets. Many are dump-offs to get rid of the ball to avoid the sack.

cymatica

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2qjaoflr said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2qjaoflr said:

And yet Kearse's drop rate is very low at 2%.

If it's not being caught, and it's not being dropped, then it means the pass was defended, or inaccurate, or intercepted.

Wrong route? Maybe, but why would he be targeted if his route was wrong?

I buy the "late read" idea - Kearse is down in the read order, so by the time he's targeted, Wilson is under fire and throwing fro inhospitable circumstances. The difference is if he throws it directly into the ground, it's intentional grounding. If he throws a desperation toss to Kearse, there's a chance, however slim, of a completion.

Also note that 13 of Kearse's targets are in the red zone. The field is compressed. It's harder to get separation or maintain it for very long. Kearse has 0 red zone catches in 13 targets. Many are dump-offs to get rid of the ball to avoid the sack.

He is throwing to the space the wr is supposed to be at. All about timing. If the qb rating is low, the drop rate is only 2%, then the route has to be a good part of the equation. The qb rating on other receivers is pretty telling too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":vf171v3l said:
That is so overly simplistic

This is just simply untrue, Baldwin let TWO passes go for interceptions in the GB game; the first intercept was him letting the ball bounce off him and right into the waiting arms of a GB Secondary; the SECOND (in the same game), was when he didn't COME BACK for the pass from his highly pressured Quarterback, Baldwin poised himself to make a catch instead of coming back to bat the ball down...The Receivers job is to make sure that if they can't make the catch, that no defender can just step in and make a pick....Joe Jurivicius (sp) was outstanding at covering Matt Hasselbeck's ass on plays like that......THREE of those picks were NOT on Wilson.