Finally home from the game

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Ouch. Painful game in more than one way and I can't believe the news coming out about Lockett. From our perspective (right down the 40 yard line, about 20 rows up) we couldn't see the legs getting tangled or anything like that in the endzone.

Tyler comes down with the ball in the corner to our left, everyone thinks touchdown and celebrating ensues, but 16 doesn't get up. He lies there limp, so we watch the quick replay and it looks like his head bounced off the turf. Couldn't really see much else, not to mention we didn't know what we were looking for. We look around and ask "think it's a concussion off the field?"

*Phone buzzes*
Mother: "Oh my God... not Lockett"
Me: "Looks like his head bounced off the turf, huh?"
Mother: "No... its his leg... it broke in two and foot flopping around"

The conversation generally ends with sadness and cursing.

Man, what a loss and what a horrific injury if the blood and compound fracture rumors are true. She went on to tell me Doug was over him and the training staff crying. GET WELL LOCKETT.

On to the rest of this chilly turd of a game...

The first half was frustrating to watch in just about every way imaginable. Their offense keeps driving, ours keeps stalling. The crowd was loudly booing on one of our failed drives in the 2nd quarter. Honestly, they deserved it. I'm all for cheering on our team through thick and thin, but the production (excuse me, complete lack of*) was just plain embarrassing.

I actually liked that we came out throwing the ball against a depleted secondary. Sad that our o-line couldn't at least flop in the d-line's direction and hold them off for more than .4 seconds, because with adequate time tonight Russ would have shredded them.

I'm trying to recall, and I didn't get to record the game today, but I think we threw towards the middle of the field... twice in the first half? Less? Hopefully someone counted or can take a quick look. I'll come back to this later.

The turnover on downs was extremely frustrating. After 3rd down I turned to everyone I knew in our row and said "we're going to run a play action pass and Russ is going to get sacked the second he turns around, PLEASE PETE, TAKE THE 3 POINTS." I hate being right sometimes. Yeah, the Cards turned the ball back over and we failed (again) to get a TD, but we got the 3 I wanted... or something. I don't know what I wanted there. (SHACK WORDS). All I know was the entire series seemed unsure. I think the worst part was that the call was so obvious, and the DT goes seemingly completely untouched. How does this happen? I just can't understand the thought processes on that series once we got down to the 1.

Anyway, on to the second half.

Heeeeeyyyyy a quick passing game! I remember this from many moons ago. It really seemed like Arizona lightened up on the blitzing, but being there in the moment makes it hard to notice the subtle things you can see on broadcasts and replays, so it could have been better protection calls and blocking by our guys - I'm not sure.

One of the most notable things to me though was what kind of passes Russ was throwing on these plays. Outs, curls, wheel routes and clearing short zones for drags/outs with pretty much everything going to the numbers or outside of them. It worked tonight, but I couldn't help but feel that a playoff team with better DBs is going to pick up on this when we're struggling to get some offensive production and we're going to see some of these routes jumped for pick sixes. The only ball thrown to the middle of the field in the second half was Jimmy's TD, IIRC. I'm beginning to worry about not working the middle of the field. Not sure if this is RW related or line related or what, but it's definitely not going to be helping our offense going forward and it just bugs me.

Props to Kearse for the TD grab. Nice to see him finally show up and get a catch in the Red Zone.

Dougie's TD was a great catch and run. My favorite part of this play is Graham keeps streaking down the seam, drawing his defender in "coverage" pretty much until Doug is just yards away from the End Zone. Great subtle little play by an experienced TE who knows he's gotta be accounted for as a top priority. I used to love doing this to Corners playing man coverage (calm down, this is HS football we're talking about). Running play to the other side of the field? I think I'll run a fade, make the guy follow me and just not block anyone, thank you very much.

The comeback was definitely thrilling. I was lightly shaming the people who were leaving (I was the aisle seat after all, so I was lightly obligated), but I couldn't necessarily blame them considering we had just gone down 31-18 with a little over 4 minutes to play. I wasn't going to leave, though. I know this team well enough to not give up only being down 13 with full time outs.

Not only that, it was the first game I'd been to since 2010 when we lost to the :pukeface: Matt Cassel lead KC Chiefs.

So that's all my lazy ass wants to write for now, not to mention I'm still trying to warm up and soothe this sore throat/lost voice.

What were your guys' biggest takeaways? Everyone in the crowd couldn't get over how BAD our o-line is. I'm sure that's the ringing sentiment around here. Gotta say, you could be Stevie Wonder and see how terrible these guys played. :?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3pv5dy77 said:
Ouch. Painful game in more than one way and I can't believe the news coming out about Lockett. From our perspective (right down the 40 yard line, about 20 rows up) we couldn't see the legs getting tangled or anything like that in the endzone.

Tyler comes down with the ball in the corner to our left, everyone thinks touchdown and celebrating ensues, but 16 doesn't get up. He lies there limp, so we watch the quick replay and it looks like his head bounced off the turf. Couldn't really see much else, not to mention we didn't know what we were looking for. We look around and ask "think it's a concussion off the field?"

*Phone buzzes*
Mother: "Oh my God... not Lockett"
Me: "Looks like his head bounced off the turf, huh?"
Mother: "No... its his leg... it broke in two and foot flopping around"

The conversation generally ends with sadness and cursing.

Man, what a loss and what a horrific injury if the blood and compound fracture rumors are true. She went on to tell me Doug was over him and the training staff crying. GET WELL LOCKETT.

On to the rest of this chilly turd of a game...

The first half was frustrating to watch in just about every way imaginable. Their offense keeps driving, ours keeps stalling. The crowd was loudly booing on one of our failed drives in the 2nd quarter. Honestly, they deserved it. I'm all for cheering on our team through thick and thin, but the production (excuse me, complete lack of*) was just plain embarrassing.

I actually liked that we came out throwing the ball against a depleted secondary. Sad that our o-line couldn't at least flop in the d-line's direction and hold them off for more than .4 seconds, because with adequate time tonight Russ would have shredded them.

I'm trying to recall, and I didn't get to record the game today, but I think we threw towards the middle of the field... twice in the first half? Less? Hopefully someone counted or can take a quick look. I'll come back to this later.

The turnover on downs was extremely frustrating. After 3rd down I turned to everyone I knew in our row and said "we're going to run a play action pass and Russ is going to get sacked the second he turns around, PLEASE PETE, TAKE THE 3 POINTS." I hate being right sometimes. Yeah, the Cards turned the ball back over and we failed (again) to get a TD, but we got the 3 I wanted... or something. I don't know what I wanted there. (SHACK WORDS). All I know was the entire series seemed unsure. I think the worst part was that the call was so obvious, and the DT goes seemingly completely untouched. How does this happen? I just can't understand the thought processes on that series once we got down to the 1.

Anyway, on to the second half.

Heeeeeyyyyy a quick passing game! I remember this from many moons ago. It really seemed like Arizona lightened up on the blitzing, but being there in the moment makes it hard to notice the subtle things you can see on broadcasts and replays, so it could have been better protection calls and blocking by our guys - I'm not sure.

One of the most notable things to me though was what kind of passes Russ was throwing on these plays. Outs, curls, wheel routes and clearing short zones for drags/outs with pretty much everything going to the numbers or outside of them. It worked tonight, but I couldn't help but feel that a playoff team with better DBs is going to pick up on this when we're struggling to get some offensive production and we're going to see some of these routes jumped for pick sixes. The only ball thrown to the middle of the field in the second half was Jimmy's TD, IIRC. I'm beginning to worry about not working the middle of the field. Not sure if this is RW related or line related or what, but it's definitely not going to be helping our offense going forward and it just bugs me.

Props to Kearse for the TD grab. Nice to see him finally show up and get a catch in the Red Zone.

Dougie's TD was a great catch and run. My favorite part of this play is Graham keeps streaking down the seam, drawing his defender in "coverage" pretty much until Doug is just yards away from the End Zone. Great subtle little play by an experienced TE who knows he's gotta be accounted for as a top priority. I used to love doing this to Corners playing man coverage (calm down, this is HS football we're talking about). Running play to the other side of the field? I think I'll run a fade, make the guy follow me and just not block anyone, thank you very much.

The comeback was definitely thrilling. I was lightly shaming the people who were leaving (I was the aisle seat after all, so I was lightly obligated), but I couldn't necessarily blame them considering we had just gone down 31-18 with a little over 4 minutes to play. I wasn't going to leave, though. I know this team well enough to not give up only being down 13 with full time outs.

Not only that, it was the first game I'd been to since 2010 when we lost to the :pukeface: Matt Cassel lead KC Chiefs.

So that's all my lazy ass wants to write for now, not to mention I'm still trying to warm up and soothe this sore throat/lost voice.

What were your guys' biggest takeaways? Everyone in the crowd couldn't get over how BAD our o-line is. I'm sure that's the ringing sentiment around here. Gotta say, you could be Stevie Wonder and see how terrible these guys played. :?

TL;DR

I blame you for this loss. Maybe we're both bad luck? lol :p
At least you got to see a somewhat thrilling ending. The game got pretty dark for me after Lockett's injury, pretty heartbroken for him. Oh, good news as I'm sure you've heard is Earl's comming back! Collins had some nice runs, and Russell is still really good when he gets time. I've mentally moved on from this game, on to next week, good write up noob.

semiahmoo

Reaction score

-----------------

GREAT observation, and one that has been a concern of mine for some time and what makes RW a significant step down from the more classic and proven pocket QB's in the league.

Not sure if it's his lack of height (RW is 5-10 at best, more likely 5-9.) or something else, but you are absolutely right. The middle is simply not much of a threat when he drops back. Again, is it Bevell's play calling or Russ's lack of vision? He does miss open receivers more than most upper -tier QB's IMO.

This deficit has been covered up somewhat in years past due to his scrambling and making plays happen out of broken plays, but this season, with loss of mobility and teams more prepared to defend against that, it's become more of a problem further compounded by a deplorable O-Line.