Coaches aren't prepared. players aren't ready/focused

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I have the feeling that we are less and less prepared for games. The only game, where we actually executed from start to finish was against the Patriot. Otherwise, every game has been an adventure.
We have made so many uncharacteristic mistakes ...
We used to intimidate teams in every phase. Now, we are just another team ...

Some games we give up 3 points, other games we give up 40. Some games we score 3 , other games we score 40. The lack of a consistent run game has destroyed our confidence. And our run game is bad, because of the poor O-Line.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The thing that gets me is this team has a pattern where they score only single digits in the first half. To me that screams unprepared. The gameplanning on the offensive side of the ball is woeful. They seem to have no problem spotting a team an entire half, which leads your defense getting tired as they are on the field most of the game to that point.

cymatica

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":15f6f7p5 said:
The thing that gets me is this team has a pattern where they score only single digits in the first half. To me that screams unprepared. The gameplanning on the offensive side of the ball is woeful. They seem to have no problem spotting a team an entire half, which leads your defense getting tired as they are on the field most of the game to that point.

Let's even pretend TOP is not a factor. What goes on in the heads of the def players when they realize the game is out of reach if they make a mistake? Or the def coordinator. They play safe, not to lose, and probably less aggressive. For a team that feeds off of emotion so much, seeing the offense look uninspired and lethargic for en entire half can't be good on the psyche

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I truly believe it's the belief that they can't win the game in the first quarter 2nd and 3rd this has been pounded into them . That's why they play lights out in the 4 th it's a mantra a belief ! Sure you can't win then but you sure as hell could put yourself in a position to lose them and that's exactly what's happening!

Jville

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2smewew6 said:
I have the feeling that we are less and less prepared for games. The only game, where we actually executed from start to finish was against the Patriot. Otherwise, every game has been an adventure.

Some games we give up 3 points, other games we give up 40. Some games we score 3 , other games we score 40. The lack of a consistent run game has destroyed our confidence. And our run game is bad, because of the poor O-Line.

What your describing also shows up over at football outsiders in team variance. Where ... VARIANCE measures the statistical variance of the team's weekly DVOA performance. Teams are ranked from most consistent (#1, lowest variance) to least consistent (#32, highest variance). [urltargetblank]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff[/urltargetblank] Seattle has been among the highest in performance variance.

Because the Seahawks have been among the more unpredictable teams in the league and because we have witnessed huge swings in individual and group execution, I'm wondering if what we are seeing is a reflection of the limits to roster churn and coaching work loads.

EDIT: jammerhawk has gone to the trouble of logging team transactions here >>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125509[/urltargetblank]

cymatica

Reaction score
Jville":1aoxklwi said:
joeseahawks":1aoxklwi said:

What your describing also shows up over at football outsiders in team variance. Where ... VARIANCE measures the statistical variance of the team's weekly DVOA performance. Teams are ranked from most consistent (#1, lowest variance) to least consistent (#32, highest variance). [urltargetblank]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff[/urltargetblank] Seattle has been among the highest in performance variance.

Because the Seahawks have been among the more unpredictable teams in the league and because we have witnessed huge swings in individual and group execution, I'm wondering if what we are seeing is a reflection of the limits to roster churn and coaching work loads.

Ha. Cleveland's varience at 4.3% is one of the lowest. They are the definition of consistantly bad

Edit: ok Jacksonville has them beat.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2v8egaah said:

To me it screams youth and inexperience. We'll get it back.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":180x0uyf said:

Id also be interested in knowing why we can move the ball at will either before the end of the half or at the end of the game. If we can move the ball when our hair is on fire why isn't the torch lit sooner. Total lack of urgency.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
semiahmoo":bg1c6e8p said:
I fear Pete is losing this team.

And he knows it.

The way Pete does things is fragile. Bellicheck demands players buy in and dictates the locker room. Pete gets players to buy in by allowing them to be themselves and the always compete mantra. I still believe that when the players saw that same things not apply to a coach after the Super Bowl loss, Pete somewhat lost them. This team has been somewhat dysfunctional since then.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bitter":3ljlovrl said:
semiahmoo":3ljlovrl said:

And he knows it.

The way Pete does things is fragile. Bellicheck demands players buy in and dictates the locker room. Pete gets players to buy in by allowing them to be themselves and the always compete mantra. I still believe that when the players saw that same things not apply to a coach after the Super Bowl loss, Pete somewhat lost them. This team has been somewhat dysfunctional since then.

Neither of you has any way to prove this. It's been a while since we had someone try this hard to spread doom and gloom around here.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Bitter":ppc87mt6 said:
semiahmoo":ppc87mt6 said:

And he knows it.

Indeed.

Pete's "let them be them" works great when the team is winning. Introduce struggle, losses, injuries, and the lack of authoritative discipline can quickly spiral into what we see going on with the team right now. (Sherman, Baldwin, Graham, etc.) And for those paying attention, Lynch was prone to giving numerous and repeated "go to hell" behaviors directed at the coaching staff after the SB loss. His training camp behavior was particularly indifferent to the coaches. He loved the players, but the coaches? Not so much - and you have to think there's been some conversations between he and some of the more respected/critical players on the current team regarding the subject of the coaching staff.

Some have suggested, and I agree, that he longer term psychological trauma of losing the SB the way we did continues to challenge this team.

We have never really been the same since.

getnasty

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1cottjaq said:

You need to change your name to Joeraiders

JustTheTip

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":y9gnjgv2 said:
Bitter":y9gnjgv2 said:
semiahmoo":y9gnjgv2 said:

And he knows it.

Neither of you has any way to prove this. It's been a while since we had someone try this hard to spread doom and gloom around here.

Never said my opinion was fact, and used "believe" to try and convey that it is not. Not very much about the team that anybody on this board can prove, shouldn't stop us from having discussions though.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I wonder if this team's poor starts are due to Bevell's play scripting? The OC usually has the first ~15 plays implemented prior to kickoff and only adjusts after that. Our opening series are usually pretty woeful, maybe we should go off-script sooner?

NJlargent

Reaction score
It's obvious that there's a locker room problem and the players are po'd. Lynch and Baldwin give the finger. Sherm blows up on sideline and in the media right after the game, and Graham has a TD celebration that suggests frustration. These are stars not average players.

The only 2 games we looked good in were NE and Carolina. My thinking is these were revenge games so the locker room friction was put aside and the team played with passion. I hope that passion is there during the playoffs. If not, significant changes need to be made.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Speaking of players that aren't prepared: Jeremy Lane. He has been woeful lately. Is he in the same mold as Byron Maxwell? Get paid because you look decent when you have Sherman, Chancellor, and Thomas backing you up? He definitely isn't earning his new contract which surprises me as he looked great previously. Can't logically cut him next year with a cap figure of ~$5.25M and a dead cap of $7.75M. I wonder if he was retained out of desperation? Pete's defense flows through through the secondary and he might have gotten tired of losing CBs. This secondary received considerations no other position group on this team comes close to.

raisethe3

Reaction score
^^^the Hawks were desperate considering that they hoped Tharold Simon would be the next guy to fill in. Look how it turned out, so yeah, signing Jeremy Lane was desperate if you asked me. Seattle would probably need to hit the draft to look for a new CB. Also what's with Seisay and Stanley Jean-Baptiste, are those guys even seeing playing time or are they injury prone? Sad how I use to think we got the "next-man" up all lined up and ready to go. Everyone on this board said our DB group was deep. Well, look how it turned out.

Latest posts