Russell Wilson and O line

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
Maybe its the holiday cheer talking, but, looking to find a semi silver lining to the 2016 season: the hawks Are VERY lucky that the poor play of their O line has not let the million dollar QB suffer a massively serious injury like Thomas or Locket.

Yes Russell has been baldy wounded three times this year thanks to the o line not protecting him well but during the off season he should recover fully. However, if he continually plays behind such a porous O line for many more years he might loose his confidence.

So if the Hawks keep going cheap on o line talent then I recommend they do what the 2001 Patriots did back then when throwing the ball. RW gets the snap, steps back two or 3 quick steps and throws it to the WR or TE for a 3 to 5 yard completion. Of course, do this only between the 5 yard lines (SB 49 reference). It is boring football but it might work to help them win games.

cymatica

Reaction score
So if the Hawks keep going cheap on o line talent then I recommend they do what the 2001 Patriots did back then when throwing the ball. RW gets the snap, steps back two or 3 quick steps and throws it to the WR or TE for a 3 to 5 yard completion. Of course, do this only between the 5 yard lines (SB 49 reference). It is boring football but it might work to help them win games.

They should have done this after the first few games, they refuse to adapt.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":63r496mc said:
I've been begging for this for years. :(

Scorpion05

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":1267i976 said:
Maybe its the holiday cheer talking, but, looking to find a semi silver lining to the 2016 season: the hawks Are VERY lucky that the poor play of their O line has not let the million dollar QB suffer a massively serious injury like Thomas or Locket.

Yes Russell has been baldy wounded three times this year thanks to the o line not protecting him well but during the off season he should recover fully. However, if he continually plays behind such a porous O line for many more years he might loose his confidence.

Then we become predictable. The Patriots and Cowboys can pull off the short passing game precisely because they have a great O-line. That makes defenses honest. They don't know if you'll go long or short

With a bad o-line, it's chaotic. You don't know who's gonna be the revolving door. Is it gonna be from the left tackle or the right? It unsettles timing and confidence, hence why we aren't using the short passing game. What we actually need is a running game, and Russell Wilson escaping pressure and making defenses pay with 5-20 yard runs. That's what will work and that's what we did in the 2nd half against the Cards

IrishNW

Reaction score
the patriots have a great offensive line? thats news to me

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
To an extent, the shotgun formation, spread offense, and quick passing offense were all in response to less than effective offensive lines. It's not like it's never happened before in the history of football.

cymatica

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3oewt35d said:
HawkMark1976":3oewt35d said:

Then we become predictable. The Patriots and Cowboys can pull off the short passing game precisely because they have a great O-line. That makes defenses honest. They don't know if you'll go long or short

With a bad o-line, it's chaotic. You don't know who's gonna be the revolving door. Is it gonna be from the left tackle or the right? It unsettles timing and confidence, hence why we aren't using the short passing game. What we actually need is a running game, and Russell Wilson escaping pressure and making defenses pay with 5-20 yard runs. That's what will work and that's what we did in the 2nd half against the Cards

The patriots extensive playbook, quick passing game, elite qb, good gameplans, and balanced unpredictable attack is what makes them successful. They lost gronk and never lost a step. They attack a teams weakness and don't stop if it works. They will run or pass 40 times a game, using a variety of plays and formations to keep the defense guessing. I would bet this helps a mediocre o-line tremendously.