Why Johnson over McCray

getnasty

Reaction score
Anyone else find it odd that it was Johnson that came in the game for Kam and not Kelcie McCray.

Jville

Reaction score
getnasty":1v4vau5a said:
Anyone else find it odd that it was Johnson that came in the game for Kam and not Kelcie McCray.

Yea, I thought that was interesting. Eleven snaps in the defensive backfield. Jeron just jumped right back in there. Remarable.
DeAndre Elliott continues to get some spot looks on defense.

For got to post the snap counts this week so here is the link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/12/26/looking-snap-counts-seahawks%E2%80%99-week-16-loss-arizona[/urltargetblank]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think that was a huge mistake. They should have put Johnson in for Terrell and McCray for Kam. Maybe that 80 yard TD doesn't happen. Terrible Terrell is at it again, the worst safety in the NFL. He reminds me of Etric Pruitt (Pruitt was a rookie, Terrell is not) remember SBXL. That Pruitt.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Jville":1kx6tkvg said:
getnasty":1kx6tkvg said:

Yea, I thought that was interesting. Eleven snaps in the defensive backfield. Jeron just jumped right back in there. Remarable.
DeAndre Elliott continues to get some spot looks on defense.

For got to post the snap counts this week so here is the link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2016/12/26/looking-snap-counts-seahawks%E2%80%99-week-16-loss-arizona[/urltargetblank]

It was interesting. Maybe wanted to give him some game reps. Dunno.

Elliot looked like he was covering pretty capably, on the few plays I could see.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
hawkfan68":7h4pqp5d said:
I think that was a huge mistake. They should have put Johnson in for Terrell and McCray for Kam. Maybe that 80 yard TD doesn't happen. Terrible Terrell is at it again, the worst safety in the NFL. He reminds me of Etric Pruitt (Pruitt was a rookie, Terrell is not) remember SBXL. That Pruitt.

He's played like 3 games in his career, go easy on the dude.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
getnasty":18iazqui said:
hawkfan68":18iazqui said:

Yup...there's a reason he's only played 3 games in a 4 year NFL career with three NFL teams.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":y4i39pua said:
getnasty":y4i39pua said:
hawkfan68":y4i39pua said:

Yup...there's a reason he's only played 3 games in a 4 year NFL career with three NFL teams.

:177692: That just isn't the case.

Jeron Johnson does not possess the foot speed to play sideline to sideline as a single high free safety. Jeron remains a solid special teams player and backup strong safety.

Steven Terrell is the backup free safety and special teams contributor now temporarily serving as a starter during the absence of Earl Thomas. That is the same role Chris Maragos served in prior to his departure to Philadelphia and Terrell's arrival in Seattle.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":gwtrdow6 said:
hawkfan68":gwtrdow6 said:
getnasty":gwtrdow6 said:
hawkfan68":gwtrdow6 said:

Jeron Johnson does not possess the foot speed to play sideline to sideline as a single high free safety. Jeron remains a solid special teams player and backup strong safety.

Steven Terrell is the backup free safety and special teams contributor now temporarily serving as a starter during the absence of Earl Thomas. That is the same role Chris Maragos served in prior to his departure to Philadelphia and Terrell's arrival in Seattle.

What's not the case? Here's link Terrell's bio page on Seahawks.com http://www.seahawks.com/team/players/roster/steven-terrell
He's been the league since 2013.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
We knew what we had in McCray. We still probably needed to understand what we have in Johnson. I know it is not the time or place to put him in the frying pan at this juncture, but sometimes you just have to let him learn. Sometimes it is not the player that cooks....but the team that fries. Do you want a burger with that?

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":13a8s2s6 said:
Jville":13a8s2s6 said:

What's not the case? Here's link Terrell's bio page on Seahawks.com http://www.seahawks.com/team/players/roster/steven-terrell
He's been the league since 2013.

I was responding to your Jeron Johnson statement in the first of your posts. Jeron Johnson is not a free safety. IIRC Jeron has always been a strong safety ....... and Steven Terrell has been looked at primarily as a free safety in a similar role to Chris Maragos before him. This is an attempt to remind that the skill requirements at free safety and strong safety are different in this current defense.

P.S. Steven Terrell is scheduled to get the start Sunday at free safety.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":2xz23b7q said:
I was responding to your Jeron Johnson statement in the first of your posts. Jeron Johnson is not a free safety. IIRC Jeron has always been a strong safety ....... and Steven Terrell has been looked at primarily as a free safety in a similar role to Chris Maragos before him. This is an attempt to remind that the skill requirements at free safety and strong safety are different in this current defense.

P.S. Steven Terrell is scheduled to get the start Sunday at free safety.

Ok. That makes sense. I forgot that Johnson was Kam's backup during his early days here. I was thinking he was backup for ET but you're correct, that was Maragos.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
What I find weird is I felt like McCray has played well in Kam's absents. I understand wanting to see what Johnson has to offer but that game certainly isn't the time you want to find that out. Could just be Johnson in his short time back has earned that spot just seemes a bit odd to me.

Jville

Reaction score
getnasty":3o49wptz said:
What I find weird is I felt like McCray has played well in Kam's absents. I understand wanting to see what Johnson has to offer but that game certainly isn't the time you want to find that out. Could just be Johnson in his short time back has earned that spot just seemes a bit odd to me.

As a speculative exercise .....

It may be that Kelcie McCray is not an exact or exclusive match for either safety position. As I recall, they treated him differently in that they viewed him as someone that could back up and fill in at either safety position. It is possible that Jeron was the designated backup at strong safety and Kelcie was the designated backup at free safety. Tyvis Powell has been inactive for multiple weeks.

Latest posts