Freese has to go

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
I'm sorry but we can't go into the playoffs with a long snapper who can't do his job. I get it was unfair to completely blame the blocked kicks on him but that snap to Ryan should be the end of it. I know it sounds sketchy to get a guy off the street for the playoffs but do we have to wait until this guy ends our season before we cut bait?

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":379apjwj said:
I know it sounds sketchy to get a guy off the street for the playoffs but do we have to wait until this guy ends our season before we cut bait?

Yes. Absolutely.

andyh64000

Reaction score
The way I see it kicking has several variables. For the past several years Haushka has been damn near automatic. Then we changed one of the variables.

crosfam

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":17nfi8y1 said:
WestcoastSteve":17nfi8y1 said:
I know it sounds sketchy to get a guy off the street for the playoffs but do we have to wait until this guy ends our season before we cut bait?

Yes. Absolutely.

I concur - the off season and training camp is the time to build your roster. Not the Playoffs. I kind of hoped those in this board would wait until the season is actually over to call for firing everybody and starting over. Who knows, we may win this thing.

OP
OP
W

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
crosfam":36vkt3qx said:
KARAVARUS":36vkt3qx said:
WestcoastSteve":36vkt3qx said:

Yes. Absolutely.

I concur - the off season and training camp is the time to build your roster. Not the Playoffs. I kind of hoped those in this board would wait until the season is actually over to call for firing everybody and starting over. Who knows, we may win this thing.

See I disagree -- it's one thing to argue for firing Bevell or Richard mid-season (knee-jerk IMO) but this is a long snapper. It's an either you do it or you don't job, you saw that snap to Ryan right?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The entire situation makes no sense.

We had a capable long snapper. Who was reasonably priced considering how important the position is.

We instead decided to go with an undersized, underskilled replacement that suddenly resulted in TWO of our most consistent assets (FG kicking and punting) to suddenly have issues all year. Issues that have likely cost us multiple games.

At this point, I have to assume there is some backstory or something that happened between our LS and the coaching staff. Nothing else makes sense.

I hope whatever feud or problem they had with the guy was worth it, because it likely cost us the #2 seed this year.

It was terminally and completely stupid, given how much we depended on FGs because of our inability to score in the RZ and because of how important field position has loomed because our offense is often barely even there for the first half of a game.

Combine that with the issue that additional challenges can lead to turnovers or safeties in the playoffs and you have to really want to see the Cost/Benefit Analysis they did because it was clearly flawed.

That one decision hurt us probably worse than any other decision this year. It was one of the single most important choices they made that negatively affected the team.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I hear Clint Gresham is still available. Tell whoever's wife he slept with to get over it and take one for the team.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Frese has ankle sprain. Maybe IR, get Gresham back in to the fold. Probably wishful thinking.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
You just can't do this as the playoffs are about to begin. Believe it or not, it could get worse.

Veilside

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3skr0qgl said:
Optimus25":3skr0qgl said:
FlyingGreg":3skr0qgl said:
Will never understand how they have stuck with him all season.

This. It's maddening.

It's this season's greatest mystery for sure.

I thought his value came from being used as an extra tackler on returns.

OP
OP
W

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":qkyzxymq said:
You just can't do this as the playoffs are about to begin. Believe it or not, it could get worse.

Doubt it, I mean he single-handidly scored two points for the other team today.

Redsand187

Reaction score
MrThortan":1wqx1tt7 said:
I hear Clint Gresham is still available. Tell whoever's wife he slept with to get over it and take one for the team.
Clint is a big bible thumper just like Wilson. I can't imagine him doing anything to really upset someone. But at this point it does seem like their must have been some sort of outside factor to cut him, and it probably was going on for a while for them to have given Boyer a try last year. Maybe Clint and Jon Ryan didn't get along, which is still a piss poor reason being that they still were effective.

jake206

Reaction score
I wish the media would ask Pete or John directly why in the heck they let Clint Gresham go? And how much they enjoy Freese?? Somebody (Danny Oneill, Brock, Jim Moore.etc)...please ask...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The fan base of the Hawks are scratching their heads regarding the decision making in the personnel department this year. It just doesn't make sense to the average fan......and the posters here are not your "average fan"!!!! This team looks like a tired salmon swimming against the currant. Every snap of the ball brings "nail biting" among the fans. Even the teammates are fighting each other!!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
jake206":4emazu8w said:
I wish the media would ask Pete or John directly why in the heck they let Clint Gresham go? And how much they enjoy Freese?? Somebody (Danny Oneill, Brock, Jim Moore.etc)...please ask...

I wouldn't be invited to a second press conference, I know that much. I'm tired of the softball questions with no real meat. Ask the questions we want answers to, damnit.

Latest posts