Getting Hot at the Right TIme

SchadyHawk

Reaction score
I think that we can all admit that getting hot at the right time is something we as fans and the players like to see but lets take a look at the last few years.
2012- We look unstoppable the last few weeks in the year with 3 straight blow outs including hanging 50 in back to back games and 42 the following week.
In the Playoffs we come out flat against the Redskins and have some help with RG3 getting hurt to win 24-14. We all know what happened against Atlanta so I won't even bring it up.
2013- Our Super Bowl season we go 2-2 the last 4 weeks and look miserable against AZ at home the second to last game of the year. We win a slow burner of a playoff game against the saints and open the NFC championship with a fumble and squeak by with Kearse's TD catch and the tip.
2014- Hawks win 6 games in a row to close out the year. Up 24-17 and with Carolina driving, Kam returns an interception and seals a win. We then look absolutely dreadful against the Packers(unfortunately not the last time) and due to a miracle we come out and win the game.
2015- One of the hottest teams down the stretch putting up huge passing numbers and winning 6 of our last 7. Once again come out flat and with another miracle we win the game. Against Carolina we give up 31 in the first half to roar back but come up short.

Looking at this we were one of the hottest teams in the NFL going into the postseason for 4 years in a row with our worst final stretch coming in 2013, our Super Bowl Season. In 2012 and 2015, arguably the two most explosive final stretches for our offense we come out flat in 2 consecutive games. Now I understand the cause for concern, barely beating the woeful 49ers by 2 is VERY concerning, But there has to be some perspective that we've made it to the dance and no matter how you finish the year its time to strap up and play because the playoffs is no cake walk regardless. Even in our Super Bowl runs we had heart stopping games at home in the NFC championship. Many act like having homefield= Super Bowl which is simply not true, incredibly beneficial, but by no means a guarantee.
Also, many point out how hot the packers are playing but I've said it many times it is hard to beat a team twice, that is why division games always seem to be close, not just for the hawks-rams but for any team when talking about division games. Look at the Seahawks and VIkings of last year, the Seahawks decimated the Vikings 38-7, once again are the hottest team in the NFL, and come out flat winning by a missed chip shot field goal in the first round of the playoffs.
Whoever we play in the playoffs the game will still be played at home and although I do think that this team is the weakest of the last 4 years we still have the talent and experience to make a run because this is the playoffs. And make no mistake this is not a clouds and rainbow post, its more about keeping playoff perspective.

Latest posts