This team will never make another SB with Bevell

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
As long as Bevell is an OC, I think it is clear that we have no shot at a SB.

We might make it through one game of the playoffs. But not expecting much more than that.

The larger issue is that Bevell was a guy that Lynch hated but now he is clearly drawing the ire of the defense, the very guys we depend on to win us games.

He is turning into a distraction.

Frankly, whatever good he brings to the table is offset by that distraction and the negative impact it has - both on the cohesion of the team and the satisfaction of the defense. We depend on the defense and things that make the defense unhappy should make everyone unhappy.

So even if Bevell was a completely reasonably effective OC that was being unfairly pilloried - the cost of keeping him would be too great. But considering Bevell is a chronic underachiever that appears to coat-tail ride the effectiveness of the defense, getting rid of him has very little opportunity cost. We are already one of the least effective offenses in the league.

Frankly, a random hire from a collection of mediocre OCs statistically should produce better than Bevell is doing now. Just based on the #s.

Regardless, it is very clear that Bevell has cost this team its ability to compete because the team's own players consider him a cause/problem and in doing, make it impossible for the team to come together, compete effectively as a unit, and have the type of commitment that a team needs to have in order to make, much less win, a SB.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
They are not going to make it out of the first round with their present play.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with your assessment TwistedHusky.

Bevell just doesn't have the situational awareness to consistently get our offense down the field. He continues to ignore Graham, he abandons things that are working too soon, and he's way too slow call in plays to Russell

If a team has a strong d line, he decides to run up the middle out of pistol. If the opposing defense has a great secondary, he calls a spread offense.

This offensive "genius" cost us a second championship by being too cute, as well as Cable's inability to properly coach an offensive line to actually block in running or pass protection.

It's completely pathetic, but there's already enough fire Bevell threads out there, so I digress

BigBill1945

Reaction score
We won't have to worry about the SB with this offensive line.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Do I like Bevell, no. He is stubborn and takes way too long to adjust. Empty backfield on 3rd and short is just not logical and he does it on a consistent basis. His absolute incompetence with getting the play in before 10 seconds on the play clock is ridiculous.

With all said and done, I am really encouraged by the playmaking ability of C.J. Prosise as long as he stays healthy. Defense is one healthy season away from being dominant again, albeit I would appreciate more blitzing. I also believe we are one expensive veteran Tackle and a high ceiling rookie linemen away from an average/decent Oline. Plug that in I think we are good. But I'm only a football expert on the internet.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
907Hawk":2cafr5ss said:
Check, you want the Hawks to fire Bevell, thanks for the update.

Sure do. He is irrelevant, and his leadership ability is putrid. While I support Pete Carroll's decisions overall I believe he is making a mistake keeping DB. Doesn't have to be callous or rude but PC needs to tell DB it is time for a change and a different strategy. It so obvious that this offense does not fool anyone anymore, especially in our division.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I hope he is wrong too, I wouldn't mind going to another parade in February in downtown Seattle freezing my limbs off again.
:2thumbs:
.....but it's going to take a perfect storm of A+ execution, A+ gameplanning, A+ playcalling, no more injuries, plus the fill ins (McEvoy, Collins, etc) need to have career games. We cannot continue to spot teams quarters and halfs on offense, and cannot continue to play no pressure soft zone defense that gives the opposing QB eight years to throw the ball.....as good playoff caliber teams will make you pay dearly for that. The O-line needs to be better and both the Coords need to scheme and play call like they are not in some mental quicksand.

It CAN be done but it's asking a lot for a Tiger to change its stripes in a weeks time.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Come on man, I could be president of the fire Bevell association, but from this moment on we have to believe he's learned from his mistakes and will put the team in a position to win.

There's a whole off season to bitch and moan and point out deficiencies. And fire.

Now's the time we all band together and get positive, and if we can't do it here, good Lord who will?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
This OP is nothing but blatant foolishness with a bunch of falsities.
Guess some people just like to read their own writing and think they're something.

sutz

Reaction score
I just love declarative statements from fans. :laugh:

chihawk

Reaction score
Mike McCoy?

....or who would you like to see as replacement?

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is pretty simple.

It does not matter if Bevell is unfairly or falsely maligned. Whether he is or is not, is immaterial.

What does matter is that if the team dynamic is being derailed because defensive players feel they are held to standards that the very OC is not, they simply are not going to put in the additional sacrifice and effort. Why bother putting yourself through all the additional work, time from family, physical pain and all the rest if you truely believe that regardless of your efforts the OC will somehow find a way to squander the game anyway?

The fact that Sherman has effectively called out playcalling (a shot across the bow to Bevell) shows this is happening. However Sherman is a fairly intelligent and savvy player, I highly doubt he makes the statement if he felt he was alone in this belief. It is very likely that this is a feeling that is shared among some of the defensive players - and if so, Bevell becomes a problem.

This has nothing to do with me disliking Bevell. There are very specific signs that the defensive players are taking umbrage at the guy, and given the commitment needed to make a SB - I feel it is reasonable to expect some of that commitment won't be there from guys that feel their investment won't be worth it because the OC will keep them from winning anyway.

If Bevell is discouraging our defensive players from going all in, then this is going to be a problem that repeats itself as long as Bevell is a member of the team.

Now, you can remove the defensive players that hold this view, but then you run the risk of removing your best defensive players, your highest contributors and in doing, your ability to compete for a SB in the first place.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2le6abt8 said:
Guess some people just like to read their own writing and think they're something.

You are not exactly impartial when it comes to Sir Bevell.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2rp1swp6 said:

Meh he's somewhere between the perfect of you think he is and the worst in the league a lot of fans think he is. I will say it's not just Seahawk fans who question is abilities. He's been criticized from some smart minds outside of our fan base.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":122t0t05 said:
Siouxhawk":122t0t05 said:

Maybe so, but I do know that what is being written here by the OP is straight out of the land of make believe. There's not some glaring schism taking place in our locker room. It's no secret that we play with a combatitive edge and bite, which you saw today from Reed and Clark ... and that makes us nasty and productive. It's not a negative as sone would have you believe.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":a68aq8hf said:
FlyingGreg":a68aq8hf said:
Siouxhawk":a68aq8hf said:

Maybe so, but I do know that what is being written here by the OP is straight out of the land of make believe. There's not some glaring schism taking place in our locker room. It's no secret that we play with a combatitive edge and bite, which you saw today from Reed and Clark ... and that makes us nasty and productive. It's not a negative as sone would have you believe.

We have seen the public display of disdain for our offense with Sherman, if you are not in the Locker Room then how do you know there isn't a divisive issue unless you are in there, are you in there?

If your not then the opinion your challenging is just as valid as your argument against it.