How will Wilson perform Saturday?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
When thinking of Wilson's performances in the post season, "average" is what comes to mind first. He's had a few clunkers. The Saints in the 2013 playoffs, Packers in 2014 NFCCG, the Vikings last year in sub zero temperatures.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WilsRu00/gamelog/post/

The link provided shows Wilson's playoff stats. He's had 16 TD'S and 9 INT's (4 of those in one game), averaging 233 YPG.

What do you guys predict Russell will do against Detroit? Will he perform up to franchise QB numbers? Rain is in the forecast.

nash72

Reaction score
I predict 250 yrds and 2 TD's and almost all of that will come in the 2nd half as we'll have another quarter or entire half of doing absolutely nothing on offense as we always do.

tonyseahawk

Reaction score
He's gonna over throw. Bet my wallet on it. Now...throw in the rain...and turn style O line, I say its gonna be frustrating to watch

stizz19

Reaction score
Watch him drop 4 TDs and 350+ passing yards and 55 rushing. Wilson is a bad, bad man...

ludakrishna

Reaction score
stizz19":spjqi3wi said:
Watch him drop 4 TDs and 350+ passing yards and 55 rushing. Wilson is a bad, bad man...

I hope so. So far history has shown that in cold and rainy weather he is a very bad, bad QB. Utter garbage play.

ptisme

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2c57yn9i said:
stizz19":2c57yn9i said:

I hope so. So far history has shown that in cold and rainy weather he is a very bad, bad QB. Utter garbage play.
I think the truth will be somewhere in between. I don't see the Seahawks having trouble on either side of the ball this weekend. Detroit is young and inexperienced. Seattle knows what playoff football means and the level it takes to get the job done in January.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Wilson will have a monster post season, as he always does. The idea that he's been "average" is false, he's had one of the highest qb ratings in the post season in recent history and the only "BAD" game was the Packers game. The Saints game was a defensive struggle on both sides when the Saints had a top 5 defense. Holding him accountable for the Vikings game is in my opinion, utterly ridiculous

Wilson is a big game QB. This is fact, and he always comes through when it matters. Hence why he's one of the winningest QBs ever

randomation

Reaction score
Until the Packer game wasn't he leading the NFL all time in post season rating?

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1zoynfv0 said:
Wilson will have a monster post season, as he always does. The idea that he's been "average" is false, he's had one of the highest qb ratings in the post season in recent history and the only "BAD" game was the Packers game. The Saints game was a defensive struggle on both sides when the Saints had a top 5 defense. Holding him accountable for the Vikings game is in my opinion, utterly ridiculous

Wilson is a big game QB. This is fact, and he always comes through when it matters. Hence why he's one of the winningest QBs ever

Lol, ok fair enough. So, you're basically predicting he's going to have a very good game?

The numbers have been provided, and they are average to be honest. The Falcons game in 2012 and the Panthers game last season were inflated because they were throwing their way back into those ball games. The only playoff game where he actually performed well from start to finish was the Panthers game in 2014.

Not to mention his struggles in weather inclements, which could make Saturdays game less than stellar. However, he does play dominant in home prime time games. Plus the Lions have the 18th ranked defense. Thanks for your participation though! Good football talk/debates is what we're here for

253hawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":9vuvq7a0 said:
Plus the Lions have the 18th ranked defense.

Ranked how? They are dead last in DVOA and it's not even close.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
253hawk":gw50cbj9 said:
Jerhawk":gw50cbj9 said:
Plus the Lions have the 18th ranked defense.

Ranked how? They are dead last in DVOA and it's not even close.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

https://www.google.com/search?site=....1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..1.2.296.3.89GZStmrnl0

Everywhere I look they're ranked 18th in yards allowed/game. Perhaps my search criteria is too simplistic, but they appear to have the 18th ranked defense led by our former defensive back

253hawk

Reaction score
Raw yards aren't a very good metric though. There's 3 teams ahead of us that didn't even make the playoffs and half of the playoff teams all finished in the bottom 10.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well, regardless, we're both trying to prove the same point: detroit doesn't have a very good defense

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't agree that he's been that bad. I think someone above posted why so I won't rehash it. Two of those terrible games were in horrible weather where I don't think anyone does all that well. The Green Bay game he was definitely bad but at least two of the picks were Kearse doing his thing and not helping much. Plus Wilson also made a couple of spectacular plays to win it.

Having said that I think Wilson has a big game. Probably starts slow under Bevell's scripted 15 but heats up as the game wears on. Ultra efficient and scoring multiple touchdowns. I think its a big game for Russ.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Jerhawk":fa7smbw2 said:
Scorpion05":fa7smbw2 said:

Lol, ok fair enough. So, you're basically predicting he's going to have a very good game?

The numbers have been provided, and they are average to be honest. The Falcons game in 2012 and the Panthers game last season were inflated because they were throwing their way back into those ball games. The only playoff game where he actually performed well from start to finish was the Panthers game in 2014.

Not to mention his struggles in weather inclements, which could make Saturdays game less than stellar. However, he does play dominant in home prime time games. Plus the Lions have the 18th ranked defense. Thanks for your participation though! Good football talk/debates is what we're here for

Okay so let's break it all down then.

You say that the Falcons game is "inflated." So coming back from a deficit(and taking the lead) counts for nothing? The Panthers game he was getting hammered and was making pin point throws to get the team back in it. If Aaron Rodgers, Eli, and Tom Brady gets credit for those kinds of comebacks, why can't Russell?

His first playoff game (Redskins) - 57% completion, 264 offensive yards, 1 TD. 92.9 QB rating. Good, not great

2nd playoff game (Falcons) - 67% completion, 445 offensive yards, 3 Tds(1 rushing), 1 Int, 60 rushing yards. 109.1 Qb rating. GREAT

3rd playoff game (Saints) - 50% completion, 119 total yards. 67 QB rating. Bad game, but only 18 passing attempts.

4th playoff game (49ers) - 64% completion, 215 passing yards, 1 TD, 104.6 QB rating. Okay game

5th playoff game (Broncos) - 72% completion, 206 passing yards, 2 TDs, 123.1 QB rating. Pretty Good

6th playoff game (Panthers) - 68% completion, 268 yards, 3 TDs, 149.2 QB rating. GREAT

7th playoff game (Packers) - 48% completion, 209 passing yards, 2 TD, 4 INT. 44.3 QB rating. Terrible

8th playoff game (Patriots) - 57% completion, 286 offensive yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT. 110 QB rating. Pretty Good

9th playoff game (Vikings) - 50% completion, 142 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT. 63 QB rating. Below average

10th playoff game (Panthers) - 64% completion, 398 offensive yards, 3 TDs, 2 INT. 91 QB rating. Pretty Good.

So all in all, Russell Wilson has had two really bad games. Three I guess if you count the coldest playoff game ever, fine. But the majority of his games have been good to great, with him making key and efficient plays and taking what the defense gives him. I don't see how this makes him below average

I would also add that if you're being fair, few if any Qbs walk into the playoffs just tossing 3-4 Tds regularly. Check Tom Brady's playoff numbers. His QB rating overall is 88, which means he's had several stinkers. Then look at Aaron Rodgers numbers. His first major playoff run in 2010 was great. After that, MOST of Rodgers' games have been one to two touchdown throws. Seems to me like you're being unusually harsh on a QB who has never had a great O-line, an elite offensive system, or solid weapons(before Baldwin and Kearse developed)

So all in all

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":17bmpbmy said:
Jerhawk":17bmpbmy said:
Scorpion05":17bmpbmy said:

Okay so let's break it all down then.

You say that the Falcons game is "inflated." So coming back from a deficit(and taking the lead) counts for nothing? The Panthers game he was getting hammered and was making pin point throws to get the team back in it. If Aaron Rodgers, Eli, and Tom Brady gets credit for those kinds of comebacks, why can't Russell?

His first playoff game (Redskins) - 57% completion, 264 offensive yards, 1 TD. 92.9 QB rating. Good, not great

2nd playoff game (Falcons) - 67% completion, 445 offensive yards, 3 Tds(1 rushing), 1 Int, 60 rushing yards. 109.1 Qb rating. GREAT

3rd playoff game (Saints) - 50% completion, 119 total yards. 67 QB rating. Bad game, but only 18 passing attempts.

4th playoff game (49ers) - 64% completion, 215 passing yards, 1 TD, 104.6 QB rating. Okay game

5th playoff game (Broncos) - 72% completion, 206 passing yards, 2 TDs, 123.1 QB rating. Pretty Good

6th playoff game (Panthers) - 68% completion, 268 yards, 3 TDs, 149.2 QB rating. GREAT

7th playoff game (Packers) - 48% completion, 209 passing yards, 2 TD, 4 INT. 44.3 QB rating. Terrible

8th playoff game (Patriots) - 57% completion, 286 offensive yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT. 110 QB rating. Pretty Good

9th playoff game (Vikings) - 50% completion, 142 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 INT. 63 QB rating. Below average

10th playoff game (Panthers) - 64% completion, 398 offensive yards, 3 TDs, 2 INT. 91 QB rating. Pretty Good.

So all in all, Russell Wilson has had two really bad games. Three I guess if you count the coldest playoff game ever, fine. But the majority of his games have been good to great, with him making key and efficient plays and taking what the defense gives him. I don't see how this makes him below average

I would also add that if you're being fair, few if any Qbs walk into the playoffs just tossing 3-4 Tds regularly. Check Tom Brady's playoff numbers. His QB rating overall is 88, which means he's had several stinkers. Then look at Aaron Rodgers numbers. His first major playoff run in 2010 was great. After that, MOST of Rodgers' games have been one to two touchdown throws. Seems to me like you're being unusually harsh on a QB who has never had a great O-line, an elite offensive system, or solid weapons(before Baldwin and Kearse developed)

So all in all

Break them down by quarter. I think you'll find a much stronger narrative of him starting out slow and having to catch up at the end (the Redskins game, from one). In fact, his reputation for that goes back to his college days and was a major feature of his scouting reports.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plenty of people have already decided he will play like crap. He has been damn good in the playoffs, and will be solid on Saturday. He could throw 3 TD's and have a fluke tipped interception, and people would dwell on the interception.
It's ok, when he leads the team to a victory on Saturday, we'll all be fired up for the Atlanta match up. :mrgreen:
It is what it is, for many, Wilson will never be good enough.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1fna204s said:
Plenty of people have already decided he will play like crap. He has been damn good in the playoffs, and will be solid on Saturday. He could throw 3 TD's and have a fluke tipped interception, and people would dwell on the interception.
It's ok, when he leads the team to a victory on Saturday, we'll all be fired up for the Atlanta match up. :mrgreen:

Agree except for possibly 1 thing.
If it's tipped off of Kearse then it will be no fluke.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, Kearse was BRUTAL in the NFC Championship game. Sure he made the game winner, but 3 of those could easily be on him.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Gotta go with the history at this point.

He'll start slow. The Offense will score less than 10 in the first half and Wilson will have less than 100 yards passing.

Then he'll pick it up and end up with around 250 yards and 2 TDs.

Latest posts