This Is a Statement Game.

LegendKiller

Reaction score
This game will say a lot about this 2016 Seahawk team. Will they finally get their act together? Will it be another anemic first half and then they flip the switch in the second half? Like many on here, I feel that there are a lot of issues with this team...but this game against Detroit at Home will send a message not only to the NFC but to the rest of the NFL. It will either say:

1) Do not underestimate us and despite all the injuries, shortcomings etc. we will rise to the occasion (the rest of the NFC and NFL should think twice about doubting us)

or

2) We are fundamentally flawed and you shouldn't fear us...we're no longer the bully of the NFC.

I don't have high expectations for this game. I'll be honest with you. I just saw way too much inconsistency this year. I just hope that the 2016 Seahawks send message #1.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
They just need to win.

Detroit was behind in the 4th quarter in 15 of their 16 games this year.

This is the same not very good Lions team we've seen for years now, they've just been the most atypically lucky team in the NFL this year when it comes to winning one score games, which doesn't bode well for their actual ability.

Taehwk

Reaction score
Statement that we beat a lousy Detroit team that no one in the NFL fears? Even if we blow Detroit out people will not give the Hawks credit. No statement needed just do what is expected and win.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Popeyejones":2zt9oqdk said:
They just need to win.

Detroit was behind in the 4th quarter in 15 of their 16 games this year.

This is the same not very good Lions team we've seen for years now, they've just been the most atypically lucky team in the NFL this year when it comes to winning one score games, which doesn't bode well for their actual ability.

And the Seahawks have blown their share of them this year. Maybe the Lions are just what the doctor ordered.

sutz

Reaction score
It's a playoff game. Win and we're off to Atlanta. Lose and we're in off season mode. Not sure we need to add any drama to the mix. The only statement we'll be making is whether or not we're still alive in the Super Bowl hunt along with 7 other teams.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hard to tell with this team. Wildly inconsistent.

I thought New England was our "we have arrived" game, and then we scored 5 points in Tampa, got punched in the mouth in Green Bay, lost to a depleted Arizona team at C Link, and barely beat arguably the worst team in the NFL.

We could see any version of the Seahawks show up, but I am counting on the good one.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
LegendKiller":1siqm334 said:
This game will say a lot about this 2016 Seahawk team. Will they finally get their act together? Will it be another anemic first half and then they flip the switch in the second half? Like many on here, I feel that there are a lot of issues with this team...but this game against Detroit at Home will send a message not only to the NFC but to the rest of the NFL. It will either say:

1) Do not underestimate us and despite all the injuries, shortcomings etc. we will rise to the occasion (the rest of the NFC and NFL should think twice about doubting us)

or

2) We are fundamentally flawed and you shouldn't fear us...we're no longer the bully of the NFC.

I don't have high expectations for this game. I'll be honest with you. I just saw way too much inconsistency this year. I just hope that the 2016 Seahawks send message #1.

I love how random ass fans feel so entitled to declare, "this is a statement game." I agree with the above poster who stated that no statement needed, just win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
In the words of the great Inigo Montoya, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

A statement game is something that's declared AFTER the game, not before. If we kick the crap out of the Lions 45-10, then yes this was a statement game showing the rest of the league that the Hawks are a force to be dealt with in the playoffs.

If we barely win ugly or lose, then there's no "statement" other than the game went exactly as the season went, a talented team with some serious flaws that cause inconsistent play in all three phases of their play.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":g848he8c said:
In the words of the great Inigo Montoya, I do not think that word means what you think it means.

A statement game is something that's declared AFTER the game, not before.
If we kick the crap out of the Lions 45-10, then yes this was a statement game showing the rest of the league that the Hawks are a force to be dealt with in the playoffs.

If we barely win ugly or lose, then there's no "statement" other than the game went exactly as the season went, a talented team with some serious flaws that cause inconsistent play in all three phases of their play.

This^^^^^^

Our most recent statement game was getting punched in the mouth by the Tards. After that game the Arians nation declared "we've been dominating that offensive line for 3 years now".

Palmegranite

Reaction score
There were really just 2 "statement" games this season so far for the Seahawks. The win against the Patriots and the thumping they layed on the Panthers.
As for any of the 5 losses, you would need to ask the opposing team about their "statement".

Sealake80

Reaction score
I love how random ass fans feel so entitled to declare, "this is a statement game." I agree with the above poster who stated that no statement needed, just win.[/quote]

Lol. Every playoff game is a statement game. Nothing random about it. ENTITLED RANDoM FANS eh? Meh.

smashmouth59

Reaction score
Sealake80":3j9s7xd3 said:
I love how random ass fans feel so entitled to declare, "this is a statement game." I agree with the above poster who stated that no statement needed, just win.

Lol. Every playoff game is a statement game. Nothing random about it. ENTITLED RANDoM FANS eh? Meh.[/quote]

I love how random ass fans tend to discount others opinions.

I agree with the op. This is a statement game. Get off your horse .net and at least keep your composure for the playoffs. Things are gonna get real, I wouldn't want to make fun of you as we drive by on the wagon.

If i told you 5 years ago we are hosting a playoff game with the best defense in the playoffs, Jimqumy graham, Doug Baldwin, and Russell wilson, You would shit yourself.

Stop it. Now.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The only (generic) 'statement' that matters is to win. I don't give a rip if other teams 'respect and fear' the Seahawks - it helps nobody whether they do or not. But in talking 'statements' that can actually help, by making a team like Atlanta think twice:

On Offense:

It didn't happen last week despite my wishes but I hope against hope that the running game makes a big statement this week. That can really mess with a D plan.

Since ATL is missing Trufant, which was at least as big a blow to their already-feeble pass-defense as what losing ET meant to Seattle's much-better all around pass D, it would be nice to show deep-shot ability to the likes of PRich.

On Defense:

A strong day by the LOB may help, to cause Ryan uncertainty about if Julio can get on track without the likes of RS picking him for INTs again while covering JJ.

We already have the best rush D in the NFL, no statement needed there - Just Win.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
This is a playoff game..

There is no statement game for us this year.. well wait, we had several.. Tampa Bay was a statement game.. Greenbay was a statement game

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1ft2f5mg said:
I think we blow them out. 41-17.

I want to believe you so bad it hurts.............but our current form tells me this is a nail biter all the way til the end.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Yes, it is a statement game! We're going to come out of the closet and show the world what we're all about.