Bevell may actually be our way to victory this week

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Say what you will about Bevell but one thing he does well is mix in the gadget plays and not over doing them. I believe we're going to have to mix things up to beat anybody this post season and I think it begins tomorrow. If we throw in just enough trickery we can catch Detroit off-guard and I actually believe Bevell is great at that. Maybe Wilson catching TD's, Mcevoy throwing bombs?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I would settle for some good old fashioned slants, drag routes, screen passes (our O line is well versed in letting all the rushers through without a fight anyways), and other high percentage completions, at least initially.

And a reliable ground game.

Anything other than taking half a game to get more than 20 yards of offense.

iigakusei

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":a2h3uxdm said:
I would settle for some good old fashioned slants, drag routes, screen passes (our O line is well versed in letting all the rushers through without a fight anyways), and other high percentage completions, at least initially.

Wilson is horrible at throwing slants - very inaccurate. I think this is where Prosise would have been so great to have - he can do so much out of the backfield. Hopefully we can get by Detroit and have him next week.
I really hope Pete and Bevell arent looking at Detroit's lack of a pass rush and dialing up long developing bombs in the 1st half which will fail miserably.

cymatica

Reaction score
I read the title and thought Bevell got hired in Detroit

getnasty

Reaction score
I haven't seen us be able to run a screen pass to a RB since Mike Holgrem left. I would rather see a bubble screen then one to the rb, always seems like it almost gets picked and Russell get hit. Just give me some read option and a few max protect deep shots and I'll be fine.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1lm5ku5e said:

I'm kind of wondering whether we see the playbook open now that we're in the playoffs - our offense has looked mighty primitive since the Bucs game. Did Pete go back to burying the playbook?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2qy7o0uo said:
FlyingGreg":2qy7o0uo said:

I'm kind of wondering whether we see the playbook open now that we're in the playoffs - our offense has looked mighty primitive since the Bucs game. Did Pete go back to burying the playbook?

It seems like it. Our offense has been like the baseline playbook from Madden 07.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
cymatica":1wg33qnx said:
I read the title and thought Bevell got hired in Detroit

hahaha, similar to what my thoughts were, winning one for the gipper sort of thing, he was on his way out, last hurrah or something but alas this is the week where his bad play calling was all of a sudden going to work for us :pukeface:

here's hoping OP is onto something

stizz19

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":bi2vrrto said:
Say what you will about Bevell but one thing he does well is mix in the gadget plays and not over doing them. I believe we're going to have to mix things up to beat anybody this post season and I think it begins tomorrow. If we throw in just enough trickery we can catch Detroit off-guard and I actually believe Bevell is great at that. Maybe Wilson catching TD's, Mcevoy throwing bombs?

I have always thought that Bevell and Pete are always super conservative in the regular season to not give anything away and most of the time open up the playbook for the playoffs. It's frustrating to watch for so long but it usually works.

Foghawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3uvadepk said:
I haven't seen us be able to run a screen pass to a RB since Mike Holgrem left. I would rather see a bubble screen then one to the rb, always seems like it almost gets picked and Russell get hit. Just give me some read option and a few max protect deep shots and I'll be fine.

Always wonder if the lack of RB screens has something to do with Russ's height? Seems most of the passes to the RB's are in the wide backfield / flat or down the sideline / out side the hash's. Not sure the OL could execute one correctly at the moment anyways.

:229031_shrug:

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
stizz19":3l47kf2x said:
SpokaneHawks":3l47kf2x said:

I have always thought that Bevell and Pete are always super conservative in the regular season to not give anything away and most of the time open up the playbook for the playoffs. It's frustrating to watch for so long but it usually works.

If that is true, it's stupid. I don't believe in the whole, "We'll use 40%, 50%, 60% of our playbook for the regular season but once we're in the playoffs, boom, 100%".

I don't think it's clever or smart to give yourself a handicap like that when nothing is a guarantee in this sport. Remember how we were pretty much "guaranteed" to beat Tampa, Arizona (at least the second time around), New Orleans? How did those games turn out, other than falling face first into the turf. Teams like New England don't do that, they force their opponents to stop them. But Dan, you silly man, we BEAT New England this year. Yeah. So? That might as well be ten years ago right here and right now. New England went on to dominate their competition, doing what they do best, Seattle meandered around, doing good here and playing bad there and were just inconsistent.

If this is because half the playbook was "held back" for the sake of the playoffs then it's idiotic, not genius.

That is of course that's true, which would showcase to a degree that Pete and Bevell are some kind of mad scientist level geniuses. I honestly tally towards terrible execution and poor planning throughout the year rather than holding back.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
He's definitely in a position to put our great players out of position, which does put teams off guard.

Aw Mang

Reaction score
Yep run or bubble screen on third and long, here we go[emoji23]

semiahmoo

Reaction score
iigakusei":18qxp61q said:
FlyingGreg":18qxp61q said:

Wilson is horrible at throwing slants - very inaccurate. I think this is where Prosise would have been so great to have - he can do so much out of the backfield. Hopefully we can get by Detroit and have him next week.
I really hope Pete and Bevell arent looking at Detroit's lack of a pass rush and dialing up long developing bombs in the 1st half which will fail miserably.

You're right about the subpar slant throws by RW.

Not sure why that is, though.

And on a related topic, why not increase Graham's slant routes by about, oh, I don't know, a 1000%.

He would chew up 8-10 yds at a time, he's a huge target to help compensate for RW's lack of height, would open up a bit more room for run plays, etc. etc. etc.

Don't know if it's Bevell sucks at basic slant play calling, RW has some lingering Super Bowl trauma that makes him far less accurate than he should be...it'd def. weird.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
And Jimmy has been practicing that throw for years.

Exhibit #1 (app 35-second mark.)

[youtube]hpv9XfUggsY[/youtube]

mikeak

Reaction score
stizz19":wsehsizb said:
SpokaneHawks":wsehsizb said:

Yes but why waste the hiddennplays in the WC game when you can save it to the super bowl.....

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Say what you want Bout Bevell, but he does have some e superb game plans at times. However, other times he is too slow to adjust and it kills the offense. I wish there was more incredible called games than not. This season is rather spotty. We can all agree, I think, the use of Graham is super some weeka, but others he is blocking way more than he should be. Graham and post and slants, or pick and release seems to work well every time-casual observation.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkMeat":1q5yoyfn said:
Say what you want Bout Bevell, but he does have some e superb game plans at times. However, other times he is too slow to adjust and it kills the offense. I wish there was more incredible called games than not. This season is rather spotty. We can all agree, I think, the use of Graham is super some weeka, but others he is blocking way more than he should be. Graham and post and slants, or pick and release seems to work well every time-casual observation.

When?

Are you serious.

Our offense has underperformed all year.

Carolina? New England?

What else?

cymatica

Reaction score
The regular season was one giant bubble screen fake for the playoffs.

I hope