George Fant

RW92

Reaction score
George Fant has to play better. He was the only liability I saw out the O-line last night.

Pete must have seen this, because in the second half he moved over Reece and occasionally Graham and Wilson to help on blocking and pass protection.

Need to re-evaluate this or possibly give Odhiambo a look this week in practice at starting on the left side.

It will give Russell that bit of extra time that could be a game changer on looking down field.

Otherwise I have to give my props to Gilliam who had a heck of a game on an up and down year for him. He played great along with Ifedi, Britt and Glowinski who just took charge out there.

I think the problem with Fant is his foot work. He reaches too much. He needs to use better foot work sliding better side to side to keep the defender closer to him to utilize his body and strength better. He appears to be lunging and trying to reach with his arms missing the defender and giving a clear path to Russell.

Home Work is needed.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
why on earth would you give Odiambo a shot? He's show nothing so far. Fant has a half dozen or so starts in this league. That's a lot more valuable than anything Rees has to offer.

He wasn't great today, but it was his first playoff game. I hope the OL can have another good showing next week.

Atradees

Reaction score
Iifedi nearly injured our qb bye stepping on his foot. Iifedi looked looked plenty bad. They took turns. It's a real young line. It won't help subbing in another rookie.

Four or five years ago I said, go get this Baluga kid. He's been a starter with GB. This year we could of had Glaskow. Sever more ready rookie guys along the line. We got too cute. This was the running back draft. WasTed picks.

We had a great game against the Lions. We did exactly what we needed to do. Coaching had the run game going and the receivers made clutch plays. I liked the receivers bunch near the goal line where we ran the ball. It was clever.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Some one in the booth on the broadcast pointed out that we ran some two TE sets where both helped Fant and it worked. I guess we saved that as well as the play three TE that shifted to empty with Jimmy split for the playoffs?

King Dog

Reaction score
I think what you see is what you're going to get with Fant. He can't play much better. He doesn't have the tools yet. He hadn't ever even taken a snap at T until he signed with the Hawks lol

andyh64000

Reaction score
Fants pass blocking is horrible...Worst on the line by far (which probably means worst in the league).

He gets blasted back into Wilson on every bull rush and can't get his feet together on speed rushes.

HawkGA

Reaction score
The fact the coaches were smart enough to Chip and give help shows promising growth for the coaching staff.

sutz

Reaction score
King Dog":2noxkn8l said:
I think what you see is what you're going to get with Fant. He can't play much better. He doesn't have the tools yet. He hadn't ever even taken a snap at T until he signed with the Hawks lol
So, you're saying he won't ever learn anything? Hmmmmmm.

King Dog

Reaction score
sutz":2eicqq0u said:
King Dog":2eicqq0u said:

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that at this point in the season I think what you see is what you get. I don't think he has the tools to be able to "flip the switch" yet.

OP
OP
R

RW92

Reaction score
jlwaters1":xhxnxq2m said:
why on earth would you give Odiambo a shot? He's show nothing so far. Fant has a half dozen or so starts in this league. That's a lot more valuable than anything Rees has to offer.

He wasn't great today, but it was his first playoff game. I hope the OL can have another good showing next week.

Hey I said just give him a look at least. Because can he be worse than what I saw last night? Let's face it, when the ball was snapped his back was already being pushed into Russell's face. If he's the best we have then have Reece on that side on passing downs or put an extra tight end over there. We have a weakness and ignoring it will not solve the problem. At least try and fix it the best you can for next weeks game. And for those who thought so, I don't think Ifedi played that bad. Look how much better we ran towards the right than towards the left.

penihawk

Reaction score
The run blocking was better against this front but lets not get crazy with words like great, especially associated with Ifedi. He had one of the all-time great whiffs that could of really cost us and changed the flow of the game. Detroit's LB play is also probably the worst group I've seen this year which helped Rawls rack up the yards when there was a hole to get started with. I would say the biggest improvement was they actually looked like they knew "who" to block in the run game last night.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
King Dog":p8d2e99g said:
sutz":p8d2e99g said:
King Dog":p8d2e99g said:

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that at this point in the season I think what you see is what you get. I don't think he has the tools to be able to "flip the switch" yet.
I know he has struggled, but he has played well at times too. But ziggy ahnsah, and a lot of d ends he has had to block this year are no jokes. He can be compensated for, if the other four guys play well.

The formula from last is a winning formula against any team in the NFC, on the road or at home. All they have to do is execute, and it seemed something clicked last night. I think they will build on this, not regress. Remember, the Hawks shut down their running game, and had a few miscues that led to big plays. Other than that, they were shutting the falcons down til then. And I don't care what their troll fans want to believe, although improved, their d still sucks. They have the 25th ranked d. 28th pass, 15th run, and 27th scoring.
I think the Hawks are going to win.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Atradees":20rzb48l said:
Four or five years ago I said, go get this Baluga kid. He's been a starter with GB. This year we could of had Glaskow.

Bulaga was drafter over six years ago in the same first round that the Hawks took Russell Okung and Earl Thomas in the first 15 picks. If you're referring to Graham Glasgow, he was the 2nd best center on the field last night so I'm unsure of how him sitting behind Britt would help.

bighawk

Reaction score
For someone who is just starting to play LT his upside is tremendous the question is do you stick with him or replace him with a draft pick or an established veteran. He is raw but I am encouraged with the little I have seen from him.

Atradees

Reaction score
He is a rook. I made my point. Missed on several talents that were actually coming out and ready to contribute. At their natural position...it's been said too much.

Atlanta will be different. I hope our collective is focused on that. Win win win.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You do realize, Ziggy Ansuh, is one of the best pass rushers in the league and Fant is an undrafted, did not play college football rookie, right?

Ain't no way he was gonna win the matchup against Ziggy.

And I'm pretty sure, Vic Beasley is gonna win the matchup against Fant.

Fant will get better but not alot with the amount of remaining games left.

Give him a 3 or 4 years in this system and he will.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
King Dog":3k0dgz6u said:
I think what you see is what you're going to get with Fant. He can't play much better. He doesn't have the tools yet.

He has the tools. Physicality, athleticism, the right measurements, all that. He just has no experience. He needs a full offseason of work, but the potential is different there. Probably why you can expect him to be in camp next year.

Smellyman

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2abcznlt said:
King Dog":2abcznlt said:
I think what you see is what you're going to get with Fant. He can't play much better. He doesn't have the tools yet.

He has the tools. Physicality, athleticism, the right measurements, all that. He just has no experience. He needs a full offseason of work, but the potential is different there. Probably why you can expect him to be in camp next year.

I bet his football strength isn't there yet. He hasn't been training long in football only. I imagine he will get A LOT more powerful and the bull rushes won't continue.