Why don't we blitz on defense more?

northseahawk

Reaction score
I don't know if its just me, but watching game after game, we are best when we blitz those pocket elite passer. I won't be alone when I say we absolutely suck at pressuring the qb when we just send 4 guys.

Yesterday game, i was yelling blitz, blitz. And every 4 or 5 plays when we actually would, the result was a sack or an errand pass by Stafford. When we didn't, the qb had all day to throw and would eventually complete the pass (or lucky for us yesterday, their wrs would drop it).

I think our personal on defense is built to blitz more often. We have speedy, big linebackers that won't be frozen by Rbs, we have big dbs that can jam receivers. That is the best recipe for success on blitzing.

We need to bring our blitz and stunt game against the falcons or they will cook us alive! We need to bring that same gameplay we had against Rodgers prior to this year. It doesn't have to be a blitz every other play, but their qb needs to be expecting it every other play.

Followthelegion

Reaction score
I think Richard is trying to protect Terrell to be honest, and Shead to a lesser extent.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Can't blitz the whole time or you get eaten alive. Especially by Ryan. Blitzes work every 4 or 5 plays (as you say, take your word for it) because it is not done every time.

My only issue with it is, it's not very multiple. Seems to be Bobby (which he is very good at) or nothing. Need to give OL and QB more looks on D

I am sure they are doing a lot more, I honestly don't pay much attention. Just my armchair view.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Because Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril are disruptive enough that basic blitzes work fine when we use them. If you become one dimensional in any aspect of the the game you get wrecked. The defensive approach is very well balanced and adaptive to the offenseive formations presented.

Also, because film study pays off.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
To be honest when our front 4 is on, we can get pressure with 4 which is great. However I do agree they need to dial up blitzes from time to time to keep teams honest.

Shead doesn't have the ball skills to be a true lock down corner (never gets his ahead around) and Lane has issues with letting people run by him.

I loved Quinn because while he didn't bring pressure every down, he was very good about mixing in well-timed blitzes.