Falcons defense, the Legion of who?

SyCOLA

Reaction score
What's up fellas? I visited back in 2012 and enjoyed chatting with you guys. Hoping for another great game like the last time we met in the post season

So, first thing I wanted to talk about is our defense. It's been quite frustrating to see these dopes get murdered week after week when Dan Quinn was supposed to be the savior.

I love his passion though, and the message of brotherhood he has the guys buying into. They have turned a corner the last few weeks, but we're obviously no where near being lod 2.0 we thought we would be but I guess it takes time

Fortunately we won't be playing in Seattle against the 12th man. We'll be in Atlanta with the 10th man. (For every ten fans, there's two empty seats). I'll take it though. I'd like to see the Georgia dome go out in style, and a playoff win against seattle would do the trick.

I see we got some falcon fans juiced up on hatorade in here. Everyone's fired up, it's been a rough few years. I'm just glad I'm talking football right now and not looking up draft rankings

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SyCOLA":33f98n3l said:
. We'll be in Atlanta with the 10th man. (For every ten fans, there's two empty seats).

lol, that's pretty funny.

I seem to remember it being pretty damn loud four years ago for the last playoff game we lost down in Atlanta, so I suspect the Falcon fans are going to bring it again.

I also see this game going down to the wire like the last, with the same story lines playing out. Can Seattle's D slow down Ryan and the Falcon high powered offense............and can the Hawk's offense take advantage of a below average Falcon D.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I do think your defense is looking better on paper each season but there are still two really major differences at the end of year 2 for the Falcons rebuild.

The Seahawks put a huge emphasis on run defense up front and that shows up on first down. Rubin, McDaniel and Reed are all primarily run stuffers that combined for just 2.5 sacks this season but helped the team to the top ranked rushing defense once again and surrendered just 3.4 YPC. The Falcons on the other hand have a lot more athleticism with guys like Garrett, Upshaw and Hageman but are also at the bottom of the league in run defense with 4.5 YPC allowed. Quinn is a DLine guy who loves sacks and so this may remain a difference in philosophy going forwards.

Secondly, the Falcons are very young and inexperienced on defense. Three rookie starters, a couple of sophomores, and much (most?) of your unit has never played in a playoff game before. That's a very sharp contrast to the Hawks defense where just about everybody has won playoff games over multiple years including Super Bowl trips.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20ttkaa9 said:
I seem to remember it being pretty damn loud four years ago for the last playoff game we lost down in Atlanta, so I suspect the Falcon fans are going to bring it again.
The announcer, hype videos, and artificial crowd noise that they lost a draft pick for was loud. The fans were reminiscent of a regular season game in Glendale.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
AgentDib":200w3eph said:
I do think your defense is looking better on paper each season but there are still two really major differences at the end of year 2 for the Falcons rebuild.

The Seahawks put a huge emphasis on run defense up front and that shows up on first down. Rubin, McDaniel and Reed are all primarily run stuffers that combined for just 2.5 sacks this season but helped the team to the top ranked rushing defense once again and surrendered just 3.4 YPC. The Falcons on the other hand have a lot more athleticism with guys like Garrett, Upshaw and Hageman but are also at the bottom of the league in run defense with 4.5 YPC allowed. Quinn is a DLine guy who loves sacks and so this may remain a difference in philosophy going forwards.

Secondly, the Falcons are very young and inexperienced on defense. Three rookie starters, a couple of sophomores, and much (most?) of your unit has never played in a playoff game before. That's a very sharp contrast to the Hawks defense where just about everybody has won playoff games over multiple years including Super Bowl trips.

Very good points and I don't disagree.

This Falcons team is young... outside of special teams we have 3 starters left over from 2012. Ryan, Julio and Babs our DT.

Our OL is probably the best in the NFC outside of Dallas... and that's going to be a great matchup with the Seahawks DL.

Beasley... Neal (mini-Kam)... D. Jones... lots of fresh young talent on D. As some Seattle fan said on here the other day the Falcons are a few players away from having a defensive juggernaut.

As it is right now we are banking on the offense to carry any defensive deficiency... as it's been all season. I mean, when you score 35 a game how good does your D need to be?

chawx

Reaction score
Welcome to .NET

I really think this game comes down to the ATL OL vs the SEA DL ... If we can make the pocket just a little bit uncomfortable for Matty Ice and/or put him on his backside a few times (HARD) then I think we'll get revenge for 2012. If not, it's going to be a lllloooong day in the secondary for SEA.

Here's to a good game and zero injuries, my friend.

GO Hawks!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":31trn69p said:
As it is right now we are banking on the offense to carry any defensive deficiency... as it's been all season. I mean, when you score 35 a game how good does your D need to be?

In general though everything tightens up in the playoffs. Nerves, better teams, better defenses, etc usually lead to lower scoring games.

So can the Falcons score 35? Sure, but the Hawk's D as you saw Saturday where another good offense in Detroit didn't even get inside our 33 yard line the entire game.

I hope it's not a shootout, cause that's not a game I think we can win. I expect a close 24-21 type game, going either way.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":pue2f16v said:
FalconsFanNW":pue2f16v said:

In general though everything tightens up in the playoffs. Nerves, better teams, better defenses, etc usually lead to lower scoring games.

So can the Falcons score 35? Sure, but the Hawk's D as you saw Saturday where another good offense in Detroit didn't even get inside our 33 yard line the entire game.

I hope it's not a shootout, cause that's not a game I think we can win. I expect a close 24-21 type game, going either way.

A close game is definitely possible... but so is a shootout.

Atlanta led the NFL is game opening scoring drives I believe... had one of the lowest rushing attempts against (307) over 16 games due to other teams being in throw mode... scored on 53% of their drives, tops in the NFL by far... average is 35% I think.

Atlanta has a run game and a passing game. A well balanced offense that spreads the ball around. Atlanta had 5 games this year where Julio had less than 60 yards and 2 games he didn't play. They won all of them.

Sure Seattle did a great job vs Detroit. Didn't advance past the 33. All I can say is Ryan will have all 5 fingers and Atlanta receivers had a low # of drops this season.

A much bigger test.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
As a Hawk fan, I wouldn't get too confident after beating a Lions team that has been playing poorly for the last 4 games. That is just because I have watched the Lions all year and they really were on a downward slide in a major way. As much as I want to be confident, (I am happy we will play again) I am very cautious..

OP
OP
S

SyCOLA

Reaction score
AgentDib":8gwlhd5i said:

Yea exactly. We were pretty good against the run last year, but we opted to cut soliai and not resign beirmann for more speed. We lost shelby early which hurt and we've got nothing really for dt. In his defense, this roster has been pathetic so I'm sure there's only so much that can get fixed in a year. Hopefully this next offseason, we see more attention placed on the line.

I think if we can get up a couple of scores early, the quickness should payoff against Seattle's offense. Getting after wilson isn't enough, we've got to bring him down fast. We did pretty well against carolina in that aspect. If seattle is smart they'll just keep beating us up on the ground no matter what. The Eagles laid out a pretty good gameplan for beating atlanta.

OP
OP
S

SyCOLA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32fu6wgz said:
SyCOLA":32fu6wgz said:
. We'll be in Atlanta with the 10th man. (For every ten fans, there's two empty seats).

lol, that's pretty funny.

I also see this game going down to the wire like the last, with the same story lines playing out. Can Seattle's D slow down Ryan and the Falcon high powered offense............and can the Hawk's offense take advantage of a below average Falcon D.
Oh yea, we usually turn out for playoffs, but they'll exit pretty quick if things aren't going our way. That game for years ago felt like we won the damn superbowl.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Beasley sounds to be banged up. Mini Trufant is out for the year. Those I would guess are Atls best two defenders. So not having them or atleast not at 100% can only help us, cause we're gonna need to score this weekend.

StoneCold

Reaction score
If we can avoid communication issues we should be able to handle Atlanta as we did for 3 quarters at the Clink. I hope that both teams play well. I want to see a good game and of course a Seahawk Victory.

PS. Why is it on the Seahawk forum the word Seahawk is flagged as misspelled?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":kn4k3wdk said:
A much bigger test.

Of course. Falcons should win, at home after a bye and week's rest, etc.

But if Rawls can continue to run against your porous defense and our D can frustrate, hit and do what they always do, stop the run........then this is going down to the wire.

My point was the Falcon's home field advantage is weak at best, many many teams have come in there and won, including three this year. So other than having a bye week I don't see any other advantages.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1l3y82gt said:
FalconsFanNW":1l3y82gt said:
A much bigger test.

But if Rawls can continue to run against your porous defense and our D can frustrate, hit and do what they always do, stop the run........then this is going down to the wire.

My point was the Falcon's home field advantage is weak at best, many many teams have come in there and won, including three this year. So other than having a bye week I don't see any other advantages.

Rumor has it that if you post large sums of offensive stats on the opposing teams message board your teams odds of victory greatly increase. So, they have that going for them as well.

:lol:

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert on the Falcons. Here's what I know though

1. This is a Pete Carroll coached team. We rarely get blown out
2. Our offense can put up 30 with anyone, and have when necessary. I think of the Pittsburgh game last year where their offense was unstoppable. With Big Ben, Antonio Brown, etc.
3. There's always the x-factor. A big interception? A kick return? Our predictions are always based on perfect conditions
4. Matt Ryan is unproven in the playoffs until otherwise. No offense to him, heck of a guy and QB
5. Seattle always plays up(and down) to their opponents
6. Seattle plays great on turf fields. We suck on grass(Green Bay, Tampa Bay)

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Foghawk":3mio78ab said:
Sgt. Largent":3mio78ab said:
FalconsFanNW":3mio78ab said:
A much bigger test.

Rumor has it that if you post large sums of offensive stats on the opposing teams message board your teams odds of victory greatly increase. So, they have that going for them as well.

:lol:

HAHAHA! Good one. :twisted:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SyCOLA":21hj72wk said:
What's up fellas? I visited back in 2012 and enjoyed chatting with you guys. Hoping for another great game like the last time we met in the post season

So, first thing I wanted to talk about is our defense. It's been quite frustrating to see these dopes get murdered week after week when Dan Quinn was supposed to be the savior.

I love his passion though, and the message of brotherhood he has the guys buying into. They have turned a corner the last few weeks, but we're obviously no where near being lod 2.0 we thought we would be but I guess it takes time

Fortunately we won't be playing in Seattle against the 12th man. We'll be in Atlanta with the 10th man. (For every ten fans, there's two empty seats). I'll take it though. I'd like to see the Georgia dome go out in style, and a playoff win against seattle would do the trick.

I see we got some falcon fans juiced up on hatorade in here. Everyone's fired up, it's been a rough few years. I'm just glad I'm talking football right now and not looking up draft rankings
Nice post..I'm thinking that you probaly will never have a Hawks type D for a good reason.One being a lot of your cap is on offense and this includes a real OL ..Ryan cannot move that well so there is no skimping on OL,RB's and no way on WR's so if you were to put money on D where do want to go weak at?It's not going to ever happen as long as Ryan is your QB.I know it sucks for you that you have this great D guy but his hands are tied pretty much and that fast pace offense does the D no favors also btw