Can someone smarter than me explain our lack of pressure?

blazen2392

Reaction score
The combo of Bennet Avril and Clark sounds on paper sounds about as good of a line has the Hawks have ever had. Its befuddling that we don't get to the quaterback more often.

sutz

Reaction score
If you define "pressure" by counting sacks, I think you are missing the point. It looked to me that we got quite a bit of pressure on Stafford, even though we didn't get home a lot. Many of his errant throws could be blamed on us collapsing the pocket and moving him off his spot.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
BINGO!!!

Now if they can do the same to Ryan we'll be happy on Sunday night.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
When Jeron Johnson was with the Seahawks, they used him quite a bit on blitz packages. He was quite successful with them. Here's a vid -
[youtube]brtHu-shVtA[/youtube]

Now they are using Wagner more for pass rush but it would be nice to see if Johnson do a safety blitz. He came straight through the middle about the same time as the hike of the football. Giving Matt Ryan no time to throw is paramount to having success in Atlanta.

Foghawk

Reaction score
You should go back and watch the game against the Falcons earlier this season if you have access to it. There was constant pressure on Ryan and a lot of blitzes in the 1st half. Haven't had a chance to watch the second half again yet, but as I recall they adjusted by running more play action boot plays to keep him clean.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
blazen2392":znywl1kc said:
The combo of Bennet Avril and Clark sounds on paper sounds about as good of a line has the Hawks have ever had. Its befuddling that we don't get to the quaterback more often.

We do very well pressuring the QB. Pass rush is about forcing early/errant throws and sacks if possible.

Seattle tied for 3rd in the league in sacks. I believe we were top 5 in pressures too.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Also don't forget that true or not, there is a "patriots" blue print out there on how you beat us..... quick check downs, short passes, basically get the ball out of the qb's hand quick quick quick, get to third and short and convert with those short passes.

Noones getting sacks when the ball is out in 1.5 seconds....

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
Foghawk":dgm79g4l said:
You should go back and watch the game against the Falcons earlier this season if you have access to it. There was constant pressure on Ryan and a lot of blitzes in the 1st half. Haven't had a chance to watch the second half again yet, but as I recall they adjusted by running more play action boot plays to keep him clean.

i was under the impression that we got so much pressure on ryan because of the unusual number of blitzes we dialed up.

maybe its just my eyes as i don't know what pressure looks like anymore after watching our line, but Ive noticed that some QB's have had all day to throw as. Detroits O-line is shit and it still didn't look like we were getting to stafford as much as we should have.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sacks aren't the only product of good pressure. You have to give guys like Stafford, Rodgers, and yes even Kaepernick for their mobility and their talent at escaping pressure in the pocket. The first two can do it with just a sidestep.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3ee4q6fh said:
Also don't forget that true or not, there is a "patriots" blue print out there on how you beat us..... quick check downs, short passes, basically get the ball out of the qb's hand quick quick quick, get to third and short and convert with those short passes.

Noones getting sacks when the ball is out in 1.5 seconds....

Pet peeve of mine. The blueprint used by the Pats was actually drafted by Frank Reich when we faced the Chargers in week 2 of the 2014 season. Rivers torched us with the dink and dunk, over the middle stuff to Antonio Gates, thus exposing the Achille's heel of the vaunted Seahawks defense.

The Pats, like other teams, adopted that blueprint, but they didn't author it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I am worried about our lack of pressure on the road, that does seem to be an issue this year.

At home with Bennett, Marsh, Clark and Avril getting that half a second head start on snaps with the crowd noise has made those guys a handful for QB's.

But it hasn't translated very well on the road. So IMO that'll be the #1 key of this game, can we get enough pressure, hits and sacks on Ryan to disrupt a VERY potent offense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are #2 in the league in Sacks, that's pretty damn good.
Unfortunately, Avril and Bennett seem to get held on every other play. There was a TON of non holding calls against Detroit on Saturday.