Reasons for optimism this week.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
As we move closer to the Falcon's game, I really wanted to combine my thoughts about of why I'm excited/ optimistic about our chances against the Falcons in ATL and why you should be too.

Germaine Ifedi: Week 6 was his second regular season game after missing weeks 1-3 with a high ankle sprain. Per PFF, "Rookie RG Germain Ifedi had trouble blocking the defensive tackles of the Atlanta Falcons Sunday. Ifedi recorded a horrendous 47.5 pass block grade and a 35.7 run block grade. The 31st selection last year’s draft allowed 3 pressures on 43 pass snaps." While his first season has doubtlessly been a rollercoaster, Ifedi has considerably more experience than he did the first time around and the interior line had periods of competence against teams without elite DTs. The falcons are not one of those teams.

Player health and availability: While we're going to be without ET and Lockett, both of who are doubtlessly stars, but the Falcons lost Jacob Tamme and Desmond Trufant (who played great against us in week 6: PFF grade 79.6 ). So both teams are without a star receiver and, arguably, their most talented defensive back. As upset/ concerned/ worried we are about ET and Lockett, injuries have effected both sides (not quite equally). However, we're going to have Rawls, Chancellor, and Clark back who didn't play in week 6, Bennett, who only played the first 2.5 quarters, and maybe Prosise and Reese, as the icing on the cake.

In week 6, we had 4 sacks and more than 10 QB hits. Add another 1.5 quarters of Bennett plus Frank Clark and Matty Ice is going to be under fire especially in the 4th quarter. We can also expect better communication with Chancellor on the field to hopefully limit the big plays. As long as we're able to stop the Atlanta running game the same way we did in week 6, I think the pass defense can be on par or better than it was in week 6.

Oh, and lets not forget that RW was 3 weeks removed from a knee sprain and ran like a mid-50s asthmatic chainsmoker and slept 2 hours a night. While Russ hasn't been lights out lately, but having a run game of Rawls, Reece, and Prosise vs. Michaels, C.J. Spiller, and early season AC is a clear improvement and will open up the play-action passing game. Add in the zone read and some I-formation power running and we add multiplicity to an offense that was lacking the first time around. I've been hearing about the ATL defense playing better in the last few weeks outside of the Saints game, but those games were against the 49ers, Rams, and the Panthers. We're going to score points, but I think the running game is going to limit the number of possessions and turn this into a Seahawks type of game.

If our defense plays at the same level and our offense plays better AND controls the TOP with a strong running game, I we should win this game.

2_0_6

Reaction score
But Atlanta is the best offense ever to step on an NFL field, atleast that's what been told to us all week. :roll:

I wonder if they will pump in more crowd noise this week?

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
*cue Atlanta fans*

HERE IS WHY YOU ARE WRONG FOR BEING OPTIMISTIC.

Largent80

Reaction score
Bennett got his knee cheap shotted by a Falcon and then required surgery and missed 5 games.

I see Karmic justification coming.

RussB

Reaction score
Seattle dominated that game aside from 1 terrible quarter were the defense gifted them 2 TD's.

Not to even mention, frank clark was out and wilson was injured.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Don't forget about that Wilson Magic. You never know when it will materialize but we usually see a bit of it this time of year. Packers and 49er fans know what I'm talking about. :lol:

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
RussB":1yrtkxnr said:
Seattle dominated that game aside from 1 terrible quarter were the defense gifted them 2 TD's.

Not to even mention, frank clark was out and wilson was injured.

This exactly.

Matt Ryan's good at his job, no doubt, but four games against the Saints and Panthers hardly prepared him for a healthy Seahawks defense.

And oh yeah, last time he played that defense, he lost, lol.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No reason we can't win this game on Saturday. A fast start is HUGE imo. Keep it close in the 4th quarter and I really like our chances.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1yt4btsf said:
But Atlanta is the best offense ever to step on an NFL field, atleast that's what been told to us all week. :roll:

I wonder if they will pump in more crowd noise this week?

Kinda hope they dont do what was done to us in New Orleans. Playing music up to and sometimes including the snap. I was at the game and was not impressed with their audio announcers at the time. Fake noise...pah.

Alexander

Reaction score
jdemps":28orftzg said:
SoulfishHawk":28orftzg said:
No reason we can't win this game on Saturday. A fast start is HUGE imo. Keep it close in the 4th quarter and I really like our chances.

:ditto:

Can't be down 20 at the end of the first half and hope for miracles.

If the Hawks score any points at all in the first half, it will be an improvement over all three of their road divisional playoff games in the Pete Carroll era. They scored ZERO points in the first half against Chicago in 2011, Atlanta in 2013, and Carolina last year.

In addition to those three divisional games, the Pete Carroll Seahawks have also played two wild card games on the road, and in one of those two (Minnesota last year), they also scored ZERO points in the first half.

Yeah, I think it's about time for a fast start on offense. Or at least a semi-competent one.

One thing to note is that the start time was 10 AM for all four of those games. I think this factor is a tad overblown (in the one road playoff game where they didn't get shutout in the first half, against Washington in Wilson's rookie season, they still started slow), but it's one point in our favor this time.

SyCOLA

Reaction score
Bros, as a Falcon Fan..

This is the first time we've been in the playoffs post mike smith. We have no clue what we will see but I promise you every falcon fan is constipated right now because the fear of same ol falcons is real, so you have a chance.. a good one. Just some points I'd like to make after reading this thread

Our secondary is playing great right now, better now than when we had trufant

Our offense has actually grown since tamme went down. I know I know, it sounds like.. no matter what we're so awesomer.. but I'm being for real. We've gotten away from the 3 te sets and everything opened up. Gabriel exploded. They aren't relying so much on the gimmicky stuff.

So, heres where you'll get us. Jimmy graham will destroy us underneath. Our defense is young and stupid, Peter Carroll can probably whip up some tricky stuff to butt them on their butts.

If your run game is really for real. And Peter can stick with it.. you'll win. That's it, game over. Keeping our offense sidelined is the only way to stop it. Philly executed that pretty well.

So you have a pretty good shot.

And also, Bennett got his leg messed up cause he was laying into matt way to late. So karma already cane into play

toffee

Reaction score
Our RB corp., been awhile since we have a starter coming off a good week, a legit backup, a chance of pace 3rd down guy and a very capable FB., A bit late in the season but glad that we finally have this group going. It's also nice that OL is showing some life .... although this group is very very inconsistent.

cdn hawk fan

Reaction score
Went back and watched week six game and came away feeling more optimistic about our chances this week. Missing a field goal and an extra point were left on the table and having a wounded Wilson limited our offense.
We were able to run on that defense of atlantas and also throw the ball to graham And get pressure on Ryan.

All but that third quarter where we gave up all the points on busted coverage, hopefully won't happen this week which should help.

Foghawk

Reaction score
cdn hawk fan":1shchc73 said:
Went back and watched week six game and came away feeling more optimistic about our chances this week. Missing a field goal and an extra point were left on the table and having a wounded Wilson limited our offense.
We were able to run on that defense of atlantas and also throw the ball to graham And get pressure on Ryan.

All but that third quarter where we gave up all the points on busted coverage, hopefully won't happen this week which should help.

If Kam were playing in that game the busted coverage would not have happened IMO. I don't expect to see that problem arise in this game. Doesn't mean they still can't pop one over the top.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":3bd07uac said:
Bennett got his knee cheap shotted by a Falcon and then required surgery and missed 5 games.

I see Karmic justification coming.
The Kamtrak Pain Train is coming, next stop Georgia Dome!