2017 O line Free Agents

RussB

Reaction score
Just gonna get right to it. No explanation really needed. Here is a list with some names that will be free agents this offseason, hawks need to cut someone and try to pick up 1 or 2 of these guys.

Matt kalil
Whitworth
Cherilus
Vollimer

All of those guys would be an upgrade at tackle and some good gaurds in there too. Defense will never be the same as 2013 so its time to invest in the offense. I wouldnt mind seeing someone go for the greater good.

Anyway here is the list
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/

Also need to draft some Db's.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3tzpgtln said:
so who goes on defence? anyone in the last year of their deal?
Cliff , lane, maybe even kam or KJ. I dont know whos in the last year of their deal.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
RussB":36cddf62 said:
Cyrus12":36cddf62 said:
Cliff , lane, maybe even kam or KJ. I dont know whos in the last year of their deal.

Be real. Screw over our D over to get a bit more protection. I'd rather not.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2bor5rgw said:
RussB":2bor5rgw said:
Cyrus12":2bor5rgw said:

Well lets get ready for another shitfest next season then. The D cant make up for how bad the o line is so might as well sacrifice the defense.

They need to atleast trade up and draft the best tackle there is in the draft.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
In the long run, a pro bowl tackle will benefit the team even if it means kam has to go. D will still be solid losing a big player.

mikeak

Reaction score
I have just gone from wanting a brand new o-line to thinking they will be good enough next year.

After watching the game today - spend money and draft picks on offense

hawk45

Reaction score
I love Graham but our offense is null when the OL isn't blocking so I'd be willing to let him go and put his money on the line. We have plenty of weapons, but not the protection to get to them, and since we stopped run-blocking this year as well no play action either.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I think it's time to let Kam and KJ go. Be ruthless, it works for the Pats.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Reaneypark":15wh0qov said:

We should probably not extend Kam as we did with Bennett (which will be a mistake), but I'd keep him for his final year. No need to straight cut him. KJ was excellent this year, so I'm not following that one.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
hawk45":29ss1i8f said:
I love Graham but our offense is null when the OL isn't blocking so I'd be willing to let him go and put his money on the line. We have plenty of weapons, but not the protection to get to them, and since we stopped run-blocking this year as well no play action either.
Also a solid option. Not having good protection isnt worth keeping him when he barely gets targetted anyway. but i would love to see wilson and graham behind a good line that would be lethal .

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Overseasfan":jsr7ave5 said:
RussB":jsr7ave5 said:
Cyrus12":jsr7ave5 said:

We can't keep completely neglecting one position group though. The defense may have to get a little worse to make the offense a lot better. Clearly the current approach didn't work, and I'm not convinced "try it again" or "give it more time" is the answer.

I'd love to get a good line without giving up anywhere else, I just don't think it's realistic.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
hawk45":2hooesrv said:

You've got to be kidding...he hasn't even been utilized properly. Graham is a game-changer and could/may be a Hall of Famer. If Russ can't get him the friggin ball, he's being wasted. O line. Oline.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
Vollmer - Word is he is likely to retire.
Cherilus - He sucks, no use overpaying the guy.
Kalil - Fallen off the face of the Earth since his rookie season. Someone will overpay and regret it.
Whitworth - The only one I'd be tempted to trust and he's what, 35 years old?

If you want an upgrade at LT this year (one that is anything more than slightly), you're going to have to trade up in the draft or trade for an aging veteran. If Cable leaves and we end up transitioning more to a power blocking scheme, I think Ifedi could actually compete at RT given he won't experience as much assignment confusion as he's shown in the ZBS. Free Agency and the draft have much better talent at Guard IMO. Zeitler, Warford, Lang, & Warmack are the ones I can think of off the top of my head for FA. Feeney & Nelson would be solid options in the draft. Overall though, this is a bad time to have a horrible O-Line that needs significant upgrading.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
RussB":2os7qv5i said:
In the long run, a pro bowl tackle will benefit the team even if it means kam has to go. D will still be solid losing a big player.

When was his last big play?

crosfam

Reaction score
I think Kam goes, but not to add an expensive OL. We have a 3rd year pro bowl alternate center, three rooks, and others with less than 2-3 years in. We will draft a few more to develop, and sign a few cheap vets as injury insurance. We need to try and get a few elite young defenders to keep to our identify.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Pie Romania":1w1yypdn said:
Vollmer - Word is he is likely to retire.
Cherilus - He sucks, no use overpaying the guy.
Kalil - Fallen off the face of the Earth since his rookie season. Someone will overpay and regret it.
Whitworth - The only one I'd be tempted to trust and he's what, 35 years old?

If you want an upgrade at LT this year (one that is anything more than slightly), you're going to have to trade up in the draft or trade for an aging veteran. If Cable leaves and we end up transitioning more to a power blocking scheme, I think Ifedi could actually compete at RT given he won't experience as much assignment confusion as he's shown in the ZBS. Free Agency and the draft have much better talent at Guard IMO. Zeitler, Warford, Lang, & Warmack are the ones I can think of off the top of my head for FA. Feeney & Nelson would be solid options in the draft. Overall though, this is a bad time to have a horrible O-Line that needs significant upgrading.
If they cut kam would that be enough to get lang and whitworth?

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Also i dont follow college football much is there any beast tackles in this draft? I heard a little about cam robinson dont know too much though.

Would it be possible to trade up and draft a 1st round tackle and sign TJ lang ? Or maybe sign someone like whitworth and draft a gaurd? I just want this team to overhaul the line completely except for britt and ifedi.

quneur

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2dh3aqbq said:

Kam is essential to this team. Kearse and Lane would free 10M. KJ hasn't played to his 6.75M contract but he's still a good smart player. Graham is a question mark. Willson comes cheap and he has good hands but not Jimmy's hands. McEvoy haven't played enough. But Graham would be a premium on east coast teams like Colts or Patriots; A big weapon (missing piece) for Andrew Luck could put them in the playoffs or Patriots with Gronk and Graham combo would be very scary. Trade value would be through the roof.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
RussB":358d7f4i said:
Also i dont follow college football much is there any beast tackles in this draft? I heard a little about cam robinson dont know too much though.

Would it be possible to trade up and draft a 1st round tackle and sign TJ lang ? Or maybe sign someone like whitworth and draft a gaurd? I just want this team to overhaul the line completely except for britt and ifedi.

Always possible to trade up to get the guy you want, but the real question is how much of our future are you willing to mortgage to do so and will the move be enough to have you competing for championships for the next few years?

Whitworth, despite his age, has played at a pretty high level. The problem is that he could fall off rather quickly at any point this next season. Due to his age, I think he will be obtainable at a reasonable cost considering what he has done in the last couple of years, but you'd be gambling at the position, albeit with better odds of success than someone like Sowell, Webb, or Fant.

I think if Seattle can address one of the guard spots in free agency, they may have enough cash to address D-Line also in FA. They can go into the draft either thinking A.) They stay put to see what happens early on in the draft. They can either stay put and take the BPA at the position (if it makes sense), trade back to acquire an extra pick or two and utilize this in a trade for someone like Joe Thomas or Joe Staley, or they can do what they normally do and just take the BPA at a position of relative need and push the positional need to a later round B.) They can package a pick(s) from this year and next to move up in the 1st and get the young, talented prospect they want & believe in.

I hope they are aggressive and make something happen. Trading down makes sense if they can and it will lessen the blow of making a trade for a veteran if that becomes the best route to solving the problem for the next 3-4 years. I have a hard time predicting this front office outside of a couple draft picks every year. We do have options though that won't cripple us so long as we don't sit back twiddling our thumbs while other teams wipe those options off the table.