Grade Our Rookie's 2016 Class

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Round 1, Pick No. 31: Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M. C+ Raw talent that needs coaching. See him as a guard in the long run.

Round 2, Pick No. 49: Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama. Was not all that impressed. Has an attitude but maybe too much? C

Round 3, Pick No. 90: C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame. Well the talent is there but his body is easily broken. Right now I give him a C

Round 3, Pick No. 94: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State. Never saw a lot him and really did not impress when he was in. Willlsssonn's replacement for next year. C

Round 3, Pick No. 97: Rees Odhiambo, OG, Boise State. Another one of those fill in guys. Never saw much to be impressed with. D

Round 5, Pick No. 147: Quinton Jefferson, DT, Maryland. think he got hurt early so didn't see enough of him. Or was he cut?

Round 5, Pick No. 171: Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas. Well after a horrible start Collins looked a bit better at the end. IMO he will never be a starter but more of a fill in. He needs to work on his conditioning but I think he will be back. C

Round 6, Pick No. 215: Joey Hunt, C, TCU. Not good, plain and simple F

Round 7, Pick No. 243: Kenny Lawler, WR, Cal. Probably a camp body. F

Round 7, Pick No. 247: Zac Brooks, RB, Clemson. Think he got cut so F

I am sure if I took time to review the draft a number of names would surface of guys who are just better than the guys we drafted but that happens to evry team. Overall I was not overly impressed with this class and we need to hit a homerun on the draft next year.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Ifedi C+ for now ... like you said, this is based on potential, lots of mistakes this season but a rookie on a line full of projects is not the fairest way to judge him. I do see him as somebody who can play going forward so I'll take that for now.

Reed D...not impressed at all. I had high hopes, didn't think he'd be a presence gettin to the qb but his rep was that nobody was running on him and our run ds as bad as Ive seen it in years past. Few if any noteable plays, I need to see much better from him.

Prosise...B-.. if he can stay healthy we got a weapon. Big if but I really like what I saw when he got in.

Vannett - incomplete ...need to see something to grade him

Odhiambo - another incomplete...I thought he had moments where he looked okay but was never in long enough to get a true gauge of what he could bring. His stepping on Russ foot today was unlucky but hard to grade him at this point.

Jefferson - incomplete - didn't play

Collins - C good moments, bad moments, hard to know what we truly got in him yet

Hunt - F - so bad

nwHawk

Reaction score
Too early to judge. Ifedi, Reed and Rees seem like that could be solid, but not spectacular picks. Procise is the key to the draft. As for Vannett and Jefferson, well, remember Chancellor didn't do anything his rookie year either. Hell, neither did Tate.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of your assessments, except giving vannett and prosise the same. I gotta give cj a pass for his rookie year and a B grade. Diamond in the rough and future of the offense.

Or move vannett to a D.

Either way I'm happy but no way they're the same grade.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
It's hard to grade the 2016 draft- yet.
The only thing I find encouraging is we might eventually have 2/3 even usable players from '16 (Ifedi, Reed, Prosise)

And that might beat:

2015 (Clark, Lockett, Glow)

2014 (Richardson, Britt)

and 2013 (LWillson),

and that ain't good!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
This team has stagnated because of the very poor drafts after 2012 draft.
We MUST nail the 2017 draft. We Have to do better. 2013 and 2014 were really brutal.
If we had kept Spence Ware of the 2013 draft ... instead of CM ...

davidonmi

Reaction score
I don't know how ifedi is any better than a d. Yeah he played but he was awful

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
davidonmi":22ffssl5 said:
I don't know how ifedi is any better than a d. Yeah he played but he was awful

Quite possibly the worst first round pick of the draft. Even a D is generous. He had no business starting, and did not improve. He is not capable of playing RT. So we drafted strictly a RG that might have potential to play to level of a back up player. We need to fail quick on that one and move on.

mrt144

Reaction score
You know we're all going to lose our minds if Ifedi is cut and goes on to do average on any other team.

bighawk

Reaction score
The sky has definitely fallen. Too early to give a grade. Give it 2 more years.

mikeak

Reaction score
The only issue I have is based on someone like Richardson. Plays great rookie season, gets injured then is lost on the depth chart and play calling. Injury happens and he comes out and plays like a superstar

So to not use his talent makes me question some things about always compete and best player plays.

So how do I judge some of these guys that didn't see the field?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":3s8f00rz said:
The only issue I have is based on someone like Richardson. Plays great rookie season, gets injured then is lost on the depth chart and play calling. Injury happens and he comes out and plays like a superstar

So to not use his talent makes me question some things about always compete and best player plays.

That's a good point. Seeing how he's performed, it's odd he didn't some of Kearse's reps.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2ailfh71 said:
mikeak":2ailfh71 said:

That's a good point. Seeing how he's performed, it's odd he didn't some of Kearse's reps.

Odd isn't the word. Substitute ' obviously been a mistake that'

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In order to grade it, I don't think it's possible without offering up who was a better alternative.

Grades just on what a guy did is just incomplete. Because it doesn't allow for what other alternatives would have done or did for other teams.

We can't really grade Ifedi to the Conklin's, Decker's and Kelly's of the draft. Because those guys were all taken by teams that 'earned' the pick by sucking worse than we did.

To simply grade them without context is unfair and a bit lazy. It doesn't account or allow for the way the draft is structured.

It's also important to allow for the reality that most players not taken in the top 15 overall generally don't begin to exhibit their quality until their second year. We could grade the 2014 and 15 drafts at this stage. But 2016 isn't going to be known to us until next season.

We could look at pretty much all of our best players and outside of Wagner and Wilson -- none of the stars on this team looked anything like what we know them today in their first year.

If I'm looking at our picks -- I really don't see that we missed on guys in the ranges we picked them. About the only thing I can see even after year one, is that in hindsight we could have picked at positions in different order. But honestly that can totally change after a second season. And it's unfairly revisionist by nature.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Round 1, Pick No. 31: Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M. C- He started which prevents him from getting a D. Other than that, he's terrible. He's playing the easiest position on the OL, and struggled in every aspect. Horrid pick. He will get better, but I have a tough time thinking we see a worthy non-LT 1st Round OL.

Round 2, Pick No. 49: Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama. B- He's a 2nd round pick who contributed quite a bit. He is what he is. A run stuffing DT with minimal pass rush, and that's what he did. Can't fault a guy for not doing what he can't do (pass rush).

Round 3, Pick No. 90: C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame. C The action he had was fantastic, unfortunately "being healthy" is the most underrated skill in the NFL. He has yet to prove it and while I have huge hopes in his talent, I have little faith in his health.

Round 3, Pick No. 94: Nick Vannett, TE, D He couldn't even get active for game day. That's porous for a 3rd round TE.

Round 3, Pick No. 97: Rees Odhiambo, OG, Boise State. D Another highly drafted interior OL who could barely crack being active.

Round 5, Pick No. 147: Quinton Jefferson, DT, Maryland. N/A - Hard to judge fairly with going to IR.

Round 5, Pick No. 171: Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas. B- He's a 5th round RB who got better over the season and contributed pretty well. Can't ask for much more.

Round 6, Pick No. 215: Joey Hunt, C, TCU. Doesn't matter.

Round 7, Pick No. 243: Kenny Lawler, WR, Cal. Doesn't matter.

Round 7, Pick No. 247: Zac Brooks, RB, Clemson. Doesn't matter.

I was most excited about this draft class, sans Ifedi. This turned into an extremely underwhelming group who didn't contribute much. Jarran Reed was probably the biggest contributor, but at a position that is quite frankly not that important (2 down run stuffer). Unfortunately, I don't see any difference makers in this class. Prosise could be but quite frankly I don't think he can handle the NFL workload.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Ifedi deserves a C in the sense of "a lot of awful plays mixed in with a lot of totally dominant plays". He's learning a system that takes years to master. Needs another year.

Reed was a B. He was a big part of the reason Seattle was able to keep stopping the run all year. Any time you lose an ace like Brandon Mebane yet can replace him immediately with a second-round pick without a loss in performance, that's at least a B.

Agree with the rest.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Ifedi feels like Carpenter. He'll finally start to figure out how to play in the last year of his rookie deal, and then he'll go somewhere else in free agency and play well.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3jlawryi said:
Ifedi deserves a C in the sense of "a lot of awful plays mixed in with a lot of totally dominant plays". He's learning a system that takes years to master. Needs another year.

Reed was a B. He was a big part of the reason Seattle was able to keep stopping the run all year. Any time you lose an ace like Brandon Mebane yet can replace him immediately with a second-round pick without a loss in performance, that's at least a B.

Agree with the rest.

This guy gets it.

Anyone grading Reed lower than a B is grading by looking at the stat sheet and no more.

Reed is dominant at the point of attack, doesn't lose ground to double teams and managed to get a few pressures as a DT drafted to be a run stopper and was never used in college as a pass rusher. Which means he's very raw, and it also doesn't mean he CAN'T, just that he hasn't gotten the opportunity and reps.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Other rookies this year included
Boykin
Fant
McEvoy
Tyvis Powell

All made the 53 and lasted all season except for Powell (late)

sondevil89

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jdgq67e said:

Agree with the rest.

I'm also in agreement re:Reed, he was drafted to be a Mebane replacement and Mebane was valued for his run-stopping ability. I am pretty sure he was at least as good if not better than Mebane was in his rookie year.

On Ifedi, I could be dead wrong, but I always thought that he should have played OT. He is exactly the same size and possesses nearly the same athletic ability as Walter did. If you think that would have been a disaster my response is, could it really have been any worse than what it was?

Edit: When I went back and looked at Walter's 40 time it becomes apparent that they don't possess the same athletic abilities, Walter ran an amazing 4.6 to Ifedi's 5.2.

Still, Ifedi had pass blocked his entire college career for a pass-happy Manziel-led A&M, you can't tell me that he wouldn't have been better than a basketball player who had never played the position.