The D's downturn started last year with the depature of....

seabowl

Reaction score
Byron Maxwell.

Once he left the LOB ceased being well.....The LOB.
The secondary does not play as physical with his replacements such as Lane, Shead, whomever else. They're just not as good at Byron. Sucks but IMO that's been the difference and the cause of the downturn.

Sealake80

Reaction score
Browner and Kam were the true boom.

Its love our brothers now

Vpk0718

Reaction score
It's Richard.

The defense has lost its toughness since he took over.

And his gameplan today was garbage.

Pete won't make a change though.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Byron Maxwell was the best person we could of got rid of. Horrible, horrible player propped up by a good defense.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
storm74":22aixud0 said:
Byron Maxwell was the best person we could of got rid of. Horrible, horrible player propped up by a good defense.

I have nothing more to add!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sealake80":34dm6mj5 said:

Good point. Sherman and Earl were the erasers, BB and Kam brought the boom. I still think that was the most dominant secondary the league had ever seen. It's sad that it was so short lived. If only BB's age hadn't gotten the best of him.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Vpk0718":yc4njv7g said:
It's Richard.

Gotta take exception to that analysis amigo...we were playing a historic offense short-handed to begin with then lost a couple contributors in the process. They were better than us today; that's pretty much all that can be said.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The D hasn't been the same since the Superbowl win. We let too many D linemen go. We were loaded that year and it is my belief that the D line is what made the LOB look good. You can see it now. No pass rush and the LOB looks average.
We had DEPTH that year and were able to consistently put heat on the QB without blitzing. I also believe that the loss of Dan Quinn as DC was more of a loss than people realize. We should have kept Norton to replace him but instead we went with Richard. I think that was another mistake.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Actually, the problem is that Lane and the reserve DBs rarely play the ball...they are constantly out of position, arms flailing madly, with their backs to the QB. I watched the Texans last week, and I'd love to have just one of their corners....even the undrafted kid was putting on a clinic. That's a coaching issue.

cesame

Reaction score
The defense was really dominant to start the year

But for whatever reason after the 6-6 tie to Arizona the defense was never the same after that game

Pie Romania

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1dte4fx6 said:
Vpk0718":1dte4fx6 said:
It's Richard.

Gotta take exception to that analysis amigo...we were playing a historic offense short-handed to begin with then lost a couple contributors in the process. They were better than us today; that's pretty much all that can be said.

I actually agree with him. How do you come into the game with the same exact gameplan that almost cost us a win in the 2nd half of the regular season matchup? What definitely did not work then is supposed to suddenly work now? Sure, injuries hampered us, but Richard did nothing to negate our loss of Earl and handed Atlanta the easiest route to success. Just my thoughts on that though.

blaisio

Reaction score
I think on the defense, Kam and earl are needed to win. Sherman hasn't been himself this year, didn't play with that swagger that we are used to. I think the outside and inside noise has got to him, with the NFL.. Reporters... Coordinators. Would love to have some depth at corner.

thegameq

Reaction score
Sealake80":2ehiucye said:

Yep.

Take your pick: Shead, Lane, Maxwell or Jennings? All I see form all four are players who are always chasing the play from behind, who don't turn around to play the ball, miss tackles (arm tackles), etc. Sherman and Browner are the only corners who never looked over matched.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Maxwell created turnovers even if he wasn't a great cover guy. Whoever plays opposite Sherman needs to, shead is Kelly Jennings. We need someone to step up and start taking the ball away when offenses don't throw to shermans side of the field ever

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
For as much as I can't stand Kris Richard, I have to say that he is an excellent DB coach. That is his baby. He's in over his head at anything other than that. It baffles me he thinks he's ready to be a HC because he had an interview with Buffalo.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Promoting Richard to DC has definitely hurt the secondary. I know he still works with them, but he can't focus on their individual development and coaching as he did when he was the secondary coach.

Perhaps he's a better talent developer than he is at game planning and play calling.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
And please, Lord, Cut Steven Terrell. The kid has no instincts, takes the worst angles, tackles high (assuming he even gets a hand on the ball carrier). He isn't meant to be a pro football player. You're doomed if your FS is flat-footed and out of position on practically every play.

KimboBlubbeus

Reaction score
Sealake80":33zon2p1 said:

Yep. Browner was a monster for two years and the 2012 and 2013 Seahawks had maybe the best secondary ever with those four. His success was short lived but he was a bully in this system.

It was those two early season losses in 2014 to San Diego and especially at home to Dallas when it looked like the defense was losing a little bit of nastiness.

cymatica

Reaction score
The offense is killing the defense more than Maxwells departure