Hate to lose, but kind of glad we did...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
This team needs a shake up on many-many levels.

Some in here, myself included, have been warning the Hawks felt too much like pretenders out there. They had guys who knew how to win, but all the pieces weren't falling into place. There was obvious sideline tension, some at times horribly incompetent play-calling, clock management, O'Line woes, Russel Wilson brain farts, etc.

No way no how was this a SB-contending team. Perhaps early on they might have been on paper, but not where it counts - in their heart. Something was missing. Seattle fans who were being honest and paying attention, knew that. We had witnessed teams with superior heart and soul who thumped on opponents, clawed back from challenge, and won when it counted most.

Seahawks version 2016 never felt like that kind of team.

After the win last week, we hoped maybe somehow, the on again off again nature of the Hawks this year would sort itself out, but against a superior team like Atlanta, that's a long-shot - and if we're being honest here, we knew it, didn't we?

RW does not lead this team IMO. He's too quiet, too willing to try and lead by example, but that just doesn't work over the long haul in this league. If you are to be a franchise QB, you have to walk it like you have the biggest set of brass ones on the planet. You have to demand performance at the highest level, and if the team doesn't give you that, you let them know. RW is too passive, to damn nice, and that weakness has been exposed in the post-Marshawn era.

That's not to say Wilson isn't an amazing talent who individually, works and prepares harder than most. My washing machine works hard too, but that doesn't mean it has the respect of the other appliances. If the Hawks are to grow beyond this rather muddled season we've had, it starts with RW, extends to the coaching staff (GTFO Bevel - PLEASE)and from there, some key positions on both offense and defense.

Yes, the team suffered some critical injuries late in the season, but by then it was already a season the felt ready to topple at any moment. We crawled into the playoffs, and other teams knew it. The Hawks haven't been feared by opposing teams for the last couple of seasons.

I hope we can change that. Seattle fans have been spoiled for a while now, and that's fine by me.

Find a way to keep spoiling us Hawks. Make some changes.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
SeaChickN":2w95fdyw said:
I would have rather won. Kinda feel that way every week.

Me too, but we lost.

Which might be a blessing longer term for this team.

Need to stop pretending we're an elite-level team right now, 'cause we're not. :|

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Nice post. Love the washing machine parable, as it fits Russ to a tee. He definitely needs to learn how to lead. Always saying the same ole things like "the separation's in the preparation", "we're just taking it one game at a time, one day at a time", and "I just told the guys, you gotta believe, don't give up". I mean that stuff is good I guess, but it all seems fluffy. He needs to own this team and command respect, which he doesnt. What is he, 28 years old now? He should have this figured out by now. He needs to be the alpha dog.

12thbrah

Reaction score
It is a blessing in disguise. Better to be disappointed now than to have the bottom drop out on a bigger stage like the Super Bowl. I think we all had false hope after we lost the #2 seed and home field.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1j79lw9e said:
Nice post. Love the washing machine parable, as it fits Russ to a tee. He definitely needs to learn how to lead. Always saying the same ole things like "the separation's in the preparation", "we're just taking it one game at a time, one day at a time", and "I just told the guys, you gotta believe, don't give up". I mean that stuff is good I guess, but it all seems fluffy. He needs to own this team and command respect, which he doesnt. What is he, 28 years old now? He should have this figured out by now. He needs to be the alpha dog.

ALPHA - that's it.

RW does not have that Alpha vibe - and it's causing all this other sideshow crap. It's even possible there are some on the team who have come to despise RW.

Would a Tom Brady allow that kind of attitude? Or an Aaron Rodgers? Or any of the other top-tier "franchise" QB's???

Hell no. They would lay down the law, and then if the problems persists, tell the GM to send the problem packing to another team or else.

That's what franchise players do. They demand respect and kick ass if they don't get it.

RW is being exposed right now for the crutch that was a talent like Marshawn Lynch when Russel came into the league. ML was the offense - not Russ. And ML intimidated the hell out of RW. The guys pick up on that. They liked Russ, they respected his skill, but they didn't necessarily respect him. He wasn't the Alpha that having that kind of respect in the NFL requires.

The quiet, work hard, "let's go guys!" player is not a leader in this league. Too many egos, too many alphas, and the Hawks are stacked with alpha egos.

Russ needs his own coming to Jesus moment regarding how he wants the second half of his career to play out. If he wants to truly assume the responsibility of franchise QB, he needs to start acting the part.

Get tough. Get pissed. And demand better from everyone from the Front Office on down.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Were you happy we lost last year in the divisional round?

Did THAT anger propel us back to greatness this year?

Evidence appears to point in the direction that perhaps that isnt the case.

In the NFL, you always take the win and pray for next week :)

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
12thbrah":1ioeuukf said:
It is a blessing in disguise. Better to be disappointed now than to have the bottom drop out on a bigger stage like the Super Bowl. I think we all had false hope after we lost the #2 seed and home field.

Id be ALOT more pissed if the Packers win tommorow and we were to lose to them AT SEATTLE watching them hand to trophy to Whiny Rodgers after the refs bend us backward all day

dbsn2420

Reaction score
I hate that we lost, but am hopeful for the future. In looking back at the whole year, it just didn't feel right, too much up and down play... inconsistent, sloppy, too many major injuries.

I think the best we can hope for is that Pete and John take this as a wake up call and make the necessary changes to get that edge back and get back on top!

mrt144

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":23tkak1m said:

Not even the alpha dog, just seemingly more deep about the situation than he lets on. I mean honestly, he comes across as a basic platitude spouting dork.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
dbsn2420":21ntdl7y said:
I hate that we lost, but am hopeful for the future. In looking back at the whole year, it just didn't feel right, too much up and down play... inconsistent, sloppy, too many major injuries.

I think the best we can hope for is that Pete and John take this as a wake up call and make the necessary changes to get that edge back and get back on top!

Exactly. Pete needs to finally be willing to shake the tree. His legacy is at stake.

Clean at least a few rooms in the house, beg RW to find his swagger, and see if we can make a legit run at something next season. Otherwise, PC is done in Seattle. If we have another season like this one, he's out of here IMO.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SeaChickN":357texy4 said:
I would have rather won. Kinda feel that way every week.

Give me the win every time. Nothing in the world says we can't fix the issues with our team after a win. Nothing in the world dictates we must fix problems only after losses. And besides, another win would have pushed Bevell and Cable up higher on the head coaching position lists, in all likelihood.

Besides, yanno, we'd have won and would still be in contention for the Super Bowl.

12thbrah":357texy4 said:

This is the very definition of Aesop's "sour grapes."

Gio

Reaction score
i totally agree with you all guys said. It was the best first drive i ever saw this season by far... I wasn't expecting too much from our OFF but our D. I wasn't expecting them to shut them down , especially Sherman to shut down Julio Jones as much as he could. he made me feel that he was hyped with all those facebook pictures and all that stuff , but apparently he wasn't ! Sherman was an average CB this season and Lane as well.. Shead did something better but that play with Gabriel cost us. Also if we didnt give so many unnecessary damn holdings it would be better propably and all that 3rd downs turned into 1st downs because noone was in the middle to cut the passes from Ryan , i was like what the heck?? dont you see that big hole in the middle ? Ryan was passing all time right there to Gabriel or Jones and 3rd and long became a first down because none DBs was covering. I'm not gonna say something about Coleman's TD , he was wide open , and when my D is LOB i dont expect opponents to be wide open.... Whole team needs to be hype. I don't call our team an Elite right now because we dont perform at 100%. but we have the ability to be an Elite team. I hope next season we see a lot of different Seahawks with a better running game , better OLine and better offensive calling plays and ofc a hella better coverage DBs. (that's just my opinion) . I still love my Hawks , coming from a Greek fan.

erik2690

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1ifatoo3 said:
Thepeelsessions":1ifatoo3 said:

ALPHA - that's it.

RW does not have that Alpha vibe - and it's causing all this other sideshow crap. It's even possible there are some on the team who have come to despise RW.

Would a Tom Brady allow that kind of attitude? Or an Aaron Rodgers? Or any of the other top-tier "franchise" QB's???

Hell no. They would lay down the law, and then if the problems persists, tell the GM to send the problem packing to another team or else.

That's what franchise players do. They demand respect and kick ass if they don't get it.

RW is being exposed right now for the crutch that was a talent like Marshawn Lynch when Russel came into the league. ML was the offense - not Russ. And ML intimidated the hell out of RW. The guys pick up on that. They liked Russ, they respected his skill, but they didn't necessarily respect him. He wasn't the Alpha that having that kind of respect in the NFL requires.

The quiet, work hard, "let's go guys!" player is not a leader in this league. Too many egos, too many alphas, and the Hawks are stacked with alpha egos.

Russ needs his own coming to Jesus moment regarding how he wants the second half of his career to play out. If he wants to truly assume the responsibility of franchise QB, he needs to start acting the part.

Get tough. Get pissed. And demand better from everyone from the Front Office on down.

This post seems a bit silly. The notion you have to buy into for this post to make sense is that only one personality type wins at QB and that is insane. And there is so much in this that is just assumptions from you passed off like universally held facts. I just in general love the idea that fans have more than 25% knowledge of team dynamics.

"It's even possible there are some on the team who have come to despise RW".

Almost anything is possible, it's not really worth listing all things that are possible, but it seems like you have a narrative going.

Can I also dare to ask what "sideshow crap" RW is causing?

"RW is being exposed right now for the crutch that was a talent like Marshawn Lynch"

He had his most effective stretch of his career last season w/o Lynch. So you can either look at facts and stats and come up with a more sensible analysis that includes injuries and shit o-line play. Or we can just throw up our hands and say 'Muh Marshawn Lynch though'.

"And ML intimidated the hell out of RW" - citation please

"Get tough. Get pissed. And demand better from everyone from the Front Office on down."

It honestly reads like you have created some story in your mind where if RW would have marched into JS' office he would have been able to get some more great players or if he had publicly yelled more at the o-line they would have blocked better. I'd love more details on this, b/c it feels like you genuinely believe we were losing games and having worse performances b/c of the QB's personality on the field.

It's just weird to try to put in perspective sometimes. You are talking about the QB needing to change his demeanor b/c we lost a Divisional playoff game where we had a terrible o-line. Our QB is not at 100% physically and our God of a FS is out. The only guy getting to Conference championships over and over is Brady. Like Aaron Rodgers is a beast of QB and has gotten to the Confrence championship round once in the last 6 years. And yet he's one of the QB's you cite that RW needs to be more like b/c...."attitude". So we lose in the final 8 round in an injury riddled and o-line offensive year and your big theme is RW's demeanor. I struggle genuinely to believe that's what's holding us back. Sometimes you just aren't good enough to win it all, it's a tough league. Even in the "non-Lynch" era which is like 1.5 years there's only a handful of teams you could rank ahead of us for that total stretch. I get that not going farther is disappointing, but this whole thing feels like grasping when more obvious causes for loss are right there.

Aircrew

Reaction score
semiahmoo":gzkyjizd said:
Thepeelsessions":gzkyjizd said:

ALPHA - that's it.

I would have to agree with your take. This team needs a clear leader that sets the tone, Russell needs to do it, and right now it doesn't appear he is. Following Marshawn is a tough act to follow, but RW needs to do some introspective analysis and analyze what he defines a leader to be. Going to be a long and interesting offseason.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Hawkpower":7kr47ta1 said:

Exactly. Only way things will change is if they miss the playoffs. Until then this is who the Seahawks are.

Hey could be worse. But was hoping we would go down as a dynasty. But we are just the New Orleans saints. Win one and be competitive for years. That's it folks. Maybe another coach years from now with diff players give us a dynasty. But not this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erik2690

Reaction score
HawkinNY":3p34cw3j said:
Hawkpower":3p34cw3j said:

Exactly. Only way things will change is if they miss the playoffs. Until then this is who the Seahawks are.

Hey could be worse. But was hoping we would go down as a dynasty. But we are just the New Orleans saints. Win one and be competitive for years. That's it folks. Maybe another coach years from now with diff players give us a dynasty. But not this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Brees era Saints have made the playoffs 4 times and twice gone out to the Pete era Seahawks. Seems hard to make the argument we are equals when we make it more consistently and also are the team bouncing them out 50% of the time. The Patriots didn't win a SB for 10 years. We made it to the final game just 2 years ago. And the Patriots are obviously the most extreme example of dominance in this era of the NFL. Teams just do not get to the SB every year. I think you can easily make the case that Pete era Seahawks have been more dominant and competitive than Brees era Saints though. Particularly considering the head to head. I don't totally get the 'this is the end of an era' tone this seems to suggest.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We are one of the elite organizations in the league with the core of our veteran players signed for next year, so of course we will be relevant again come this time next season. We don't have to go from 1 to 10 like many teams -- more like 8 to 10.

Seymour

Reaction score
The whole shake up thing only really works if we lose to the Lions....just sayin.