Excited for next year already

justafan

Reaction score
Yesterday I felt pretty good going into the game but I knew ATL was a great offense and they played like it.They were just better yesterday.

But a day after I dont understand all the negativity about the future.Looking at the talent I understand Petes positivity about this not being the end of an era.The SB team is gone and so are alot of the coaches.But there are a lot of reasons to be hopeful and thankful for what we have and the possibilities that are there for these guys.

QB top 10 talent.Will be healthier and smarter next year.

RB is talented and versatile.

WR Baldwin, Lockett and hopefully PRich wasnt a flash and builds on the way he ended the year.

OL sucked but does have some players.Gotta get tackles.It was a mistake and that I dont think they will make again.

TE as deep,talented and versatile as any in the league.

DL 3 solid pass rushers and young DTs that will get better

LBs Wagner and Wright are as good at what they do as any in the league

DBs we still have 3 of the best at their positions.

All the studs are in their prime except maybe Bennett who still has a few good years left.

10 or 15 of the players on the roster will be gone and a group of fresh faces will be coming in to upgrade the weak spots and hopefully some new energy.

Im already looking forward to the draft and seeing what this team is going to look like this summer.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Has a single coordinator been held accountable? No...so my enthusiasm is completely flatlined until that happens

crosfam

Reaction score
if they are being held accountable for one of the best defenses in the league and another NFC West title, they would get raises, not get fired. Bad organizations panic.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I'm excited too. Core is still strong. Auxiliary pieces and the OL need a fix.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Excellent spot-on post justafan.
And I applaud our entire coaching staff for another successful year. With all the injuries, this team could have really landed in the dumpster. But our coaches schemed around those setbacks and steered us to our fifth division playoff game in as many years. No other team in the NFC can make that claim.

I have nothing but optimism for next season. Our franchise is at an elite level out of the starting gate, so it takes fewer tweaks for us to get to the promised land than say an organization like the Bears. We will be in the mix once again for a Super Bowl title.

OP
OP
J

justafan

Reaction score
Most games are won or lost on a handfull of plays one way or the other, whether its a missed kick,Tate or Kearse play against GB or holding calls against the special teams.
To win a SB the team has to make those plays.This year they made too many mistakes too overcome the weak Oline and go all the way.

Negative outlook is a choice, I have felt that way plenty of times this year but right now I think we have the foundation and talent to win another SB or two with a few player changes over the offseason

capncrunch

Reaction score
Steve2222":25ax1ioe said:
I'm excited too. Core is still strong. Auxiliary pieces and the OL need a fix.

Yeah. I wouldn't press the panic button. I could see us getting better or worse depending on the moves we make this off season. There are a lot of young guys who will need to improve. I am not sure how much upside they have. What do the coaches really think about Vannett and Hunt and Ifedi and Reed and Odiambo? Drafts are important. This past one and the one coming up will make or break us. I would like to know what John Schneider is thinking right now. Yes. I am also excited about next year. It's a tough game. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons win the superbowl. That would make me feel a little better.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
The roster is dripping with talent, no one's refuting that. The emergence of Richardson and Prosise is very exciting.

BUT until some of our coaches either shape up or ship out, I have no reason to believe we'll be anything other than perennial also-rans.

Our Super Bowl win is deep in the rear view. Teams have adjusted to us, now we need to adjust back to them. If that doesn't happen, all that talent will wither on the vine.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
I'm excited about the talent on this team, but disappointed at the philosophy or scheme on both sides of the ball. I think other teams have completely figured it out and the Hawks have not countered. I'm sick and tired of the Special Teams penalties and let downs.

I know this team has spoiled us, creating high expectations, that is why it's so frustrating to see the inconsistent play with the talent on this team!

We need some innovation, that is what I'm excited to see!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
falcongoggles":3u7x4rzj said:
Has a single coordinator been held accountable? No...so my enthusiasm is completely flatlined until that happens

Amen.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if we are being out-coached game after game, we will never be a SB contending team.

Sign37now

Reaction score
This team will never get better unless the Oline is addressed. That was the worse line I have ever seen and it will get RW killed.. They make some moves to improve the line and get rid of Bevell, I will be very excited.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
semiahmoo":18agh18e said:
falcongoggles":18agh18e said:

Amen.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if we are being out-coached game after game, we will never be a SB contending team.

We weren't out coached yesterday, Atlanta was simply just better. They were better the first time we played too we just got bailed out by a timely non call.

Sometimes it's just that simple. And it's not the result of 100 other things. Do we have holes? Of course. But none of those holes were being addressed yesterday and the Falcons exposed them as a good team should.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
justafan":3040ohyn said:
Yesterday I felt pretty good going into the game but I knew ATL was a great offense and they played like it.They were just better yesterday.

But a day after I dont understand all the negativity about the future.Looking at the talent I understand Petes positivity about this not being the end of an era.The SB team is gone and so are alot of the coaches.But there are a lot of reasons to be hopeful and thankful for what we have and the possibilities that are there for these guys.

WR Baldwin, Lockett and hopefully PRich wasnt a flash and builds on the way he ended the year.

OL sucked but does have some players.Gotta get tackles.It was a mistake and that I dont think they will make again.

All the studs are in their prime except maybe Bennett who still has a few good years left.

10 or 15 of the players on the roster will be gone and a group of fresh faces will be coming in to upgrade the weak spots and hopefully some new energy.

Im already looking forward to the draft and seeing what this team is going to look like this summer.
:2thumbs: Well said! I REFUSE to be negative about the upcoming season. I just refuse!!

semiahmoo

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3j210cia said:
The roster is dripping with talent, no one's refuting that. The emergence of Richardson and Prosise is very exciting.

BUT until some of our coaches either shape up or ship out, I have no reason to believe we'll be anything other than perennial also-rans.

Our Super Bowl win is deep in the rear view. Teams have adjusted to us, now we need to adjust back to them. If that doesn't happen, all that talent will wither on the vine.

Well said.

Hawks are being out-coached. Teams have adjusted, we have not.

Bevell sucks.

Cable might suck just as bad - but he was given a very raw group of O-Line players to begin with. He might be heading out the door anyway, so if he is an issue, it's one that will resolve itself. Just have to wonder if anyone in the league really wants to give Bevell a crack at a head coaching position. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's kind of sad that justafan makes a positive post like this and a couple posters who obviously are overmatched in analyzing football have to pollute it.

Pete is a smart and successful man and he will retain his coaching staff -- as he should. It's only failures as organizations like the Browns or 49ers who hit the panic button and fire coaches haphazardly. It never works and we are not that organization. Continuity and a strong system in place is the foundation of the Hawks and it will thrive again. Funny, but if THIS is considered a down year, what does that say about the status of this team?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
It ain't panic when we've see two seasons of incompetence coming from the OC side of the fence.

It's just keeping a bad habit around that might be killing you.

Doctor: Hey, you're in the beginning stages of COPD. You gotta stop smoking now or it's gonna kill you.

Patient: Don't panic! Let's be thankful for what we have and think this over.

Two years later...

Patient dies.

Josea16

Reaction score
justafan":250u4q2e said:

Seems reasonable beyond the obvious (upgrading the OL through FA if possible) I would like to see them try and get a feature running back because I think neither Prosise or Rawls should be counted on to hold up under that kind of use.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
What you are advocating semi is what weak teams do. There's not an NFC team out there that has won as many games as the Hawks over the course of the past 5 years. We are always in the mix for a title. The gap for us to pop and win the big one is minor compared to many of the teams around the league. And the coaches we have to close that gap know this team better than any and will get it done. We will win a championship again in the next 3 years.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
[/quote]
Seems reasonable beyond the obvious (upgrading the OL through FA if possible) I would like to see them try and get a feature running back because I think neither Prosise or Rawls should be counted on to hold up under that kind of use.[/quote]
------------------

Agree. Great RB's are hard to come by - almost as tough as great QB's it seems. A stronger O-Line can sure help to make a good back appear great, though.

Also agree not sure if Rawls has the body to withstand the pounding an NFL back takes. People forget, Marshawn wasn't yet 30 when he hung it up, and he looked old and tired his last season. Guy was banged up pretty bad, carrying more weight, and looking at an O-Line that wasn't making things any easier for him.

An NFL back has 3-4 good seasons in the tank, and much beyond that, it's a blessing.

Rawls might very well already be on the decline.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
semiahmoo":378n0ov0 said:
It ain't panic when we've see two seasons of incompetence coming from the OC side of the fence.

It's just keeping a bad habit around that might be killing you.

Doctor: Hey, you're in the beginning stages of COPD. You gotta stop smoking now or it's gonna kill you.

Patient: Don't panic! Let's be thankful for what we have and think this over.

Two years later...

Patient dies.

This. Saying these coordinators and coaches should get raises, in my opinion, is laughable. It is rare in the NFL to have the level of talent that is on this roster be underutilized and wasted to the extent that this coaching staff has done with this group the last few years. This coaching staff has made that an art form, and is not being held to the same "always compete" standards the players are held to. If I was a player on this team I would be fed up with it too, and think some of what we have seen on the sidelines this year is a direct result of the coordinators and the coaches not being held to that standard. I also still think Pete started losing buy in on the rah-rah BS when Bevell wasn't held accountable after the loss to the Pats, and it has been steadily eroding ever since. Pete without that buy in is a much less effective coach, and I believe the last 2 years are evidence if that.

I was far more entertained by the early-mid 90's teams than I have been the this team the last 2 years. I understood what those teams were and could therefor enjoy the games knowing what expectations should be while still hoping they find a way to overcome the odds. Hoping the current team can find a way to play to actual talent sucks, especially considering (in general) how far below their talent level they are playing. Do the players need to step up? Absolutely. But when the entire team is playing well below potential, that is on the coaches.

I think I only found myself actually entertained watching the Seahawks 3 times this year (the playoff game against the Lions being one of those times.) Even when they won, I found myself often times being more irritated than elated. At this point I think that unless there are major changes in the coaching staff I may not watch next regular season. But will probably happen is nothing will change and we will get to football season and I will still be watching because a am an (idiot) fan.