FA CBs

Rat

Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

One of the big takeaways from late in the season for me is that we need an upgrade at the corner position. Shead would be a good backup, but is overmatched as a starter, and we could cut Lane for all I care.

Here are a few of the bigger ones:

Stephon Gilmore: Former top-10 pick coming off a below-average season after looking like one of the best in the NFL in 2015. Could be expensive, but maybe the best fit for us.

Morris Claiborne: Looked like a huge bust for several years, but has really put things together lately in Dallas. Was one of the best CBs in the league this year before hurting his groin.

A.J. Bouye: A nice surprise for the Texans this year; was PFF's highest rated CB at midseason.

Trumaine Johnson: Played on the franchise tag for the Rams this year. I honestly have no idea how he did this year, but he does have the size we look for at 6'2" 208.

Dre Kirkpatrick: Another tall CB (6'2" 190), his rookie deal with the Bengals is finally up.

2_0_6

Reaction score
The need is there for us, but the cost of any of these guys isn't worth it. I really think we need to look through the draft to fill this spot.

crosfam

Reaction score
This has almost never worked out... the FA market. You always seem to overpay. I've advocated for going defense in the early rounds this April - I'd look at CB if the value and style is there late in rd 1.

I'd be happy with Shead if it weren't for the ACL. But at least with the draft you might find somebody elite.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":fmc0ysky said:
The need is there for us, but the cost of any of these guys isn't worth it. I really think we need to look through the draft to fill this spot.

We're drafting pretty late, and taking one in the first means passing on OL. I think there's a good argument to make CB a free agency priority.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Shead wasn't terrible, but in our LOB days, he would have been a backup to the backup...

raisethe3

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but aren't we a "home grown" DB factory? What I mean by that is, we generally draft or get undrafted guys in the market. Going after CB in Free Agency didn't turn out well last time I remember. (Cary Williams anyone?) Guys that we had in the past were drafted and develop in our system tend to work out well for us, (Maxwell, Thurmond, etc). I say stick with drafting.

crosfam

Reaction score
Shead - A good all around player, can play both CB and Safety. Great size, speed, attitude, and energy on special teams. Always seemed more like a Strong Safety playing CB though. He held on to the job all year and played decent. I figured he would be the next overpaid 2nd Seahawks corner when he hit the market. Love to see him rebound and play for us next year, but probably after six weeks on the IL.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
crosfam":19ctg5al said:
This has almost never worked out... the FA market.

I don't know about that. PFF put out a list in late November of their top 25 CBs on the season. Here are the ones that are on their current teams as free agent pickups:

1. Aqib Talib
4. Terence Newman
6. Janoris Jenkins
7. A.J. Bouye
8. Casey Hayward
10. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
11. Josh Norman
12. Sean Smith
13. David Amerson
15. Brent Grimes
18. Brandon Carr
23. Captain Munnerlyn
25. Prince Amukamara

Cary Williams was a sucktacular signing, but I hope the sting from that doesn't stop us from exploring an avenue that has been good to a lot of teams around the league.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
crosfam":of52yxpb said:
Shead - A good all around player, can play both CB and Safety. Great size, speed, attitude, and energy on special teams. Always seemed more like a Strong Safety playing CB though. He held on to the job all year and played decent. I figured he would be the next overpaid 2nd Seahawks corner when he hit the market. Love to see him rebound and play for us next year, but probably after six weeks on the IL.

Indeed...

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Rat":u48drn4x said:
Hawk_Nation":u48drn4x said:

We're drafting pretty late, and taking one in the first means passing on OL. I think there's a good argument to make CB a free agency priority.

By all accounts this years draft OL are below average. But the CB class is above average. IMO sign OL in FA and draft CB.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Rat":2hwxgn3f said:
Hawk_Nation":2hwxgn3f said:

I agree that CB is a major need, but I just don't think it fits into the cap. Hawks have the 20th most room available, just under $36mil. Looking at this list, I think its fair to say that a large chunk of these guys wont be back.

I would really like them to extend Jimmy, give him a large signing bonus and free up some money of the yearly average cap hit.

http://overthecap.com/free-agency/seattle-seahawks/

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":2oza81gb said:
crosfam":2oza81gb said:
This has almost never worked out... the FA market.

I don't know about that. PFF put out a list in late November of their top 25 CBs on the season. Here are the ones that are on their current teams as free agent pickups:

1. Aqib Talib
4. Terence Newman
6. Janoris Jenkins
7. A.J. Bouye
8. Casey Hayward
10. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
11. Josh Norman
12. Sean Smith
13. David Amerson
15. Brent Grimes
18. Brandon Carr
23. Captain Munnerlyn
25. Prince Amukamara

Cary Williams was a sucktacular signing, but I hope the sting from that doesn't stop us from exploring an avenue that has been good to a lot of teams around the league.

Nate Odoms, Cary Williams, Sydney Rice, Houshmenzadah, Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Deion Branch, Graham is contributing but he is still part of the FA curse, we do decently on the lines but skill positions not so much. If they don't fit they are injury laden. We can't win with FA's or rarely do. especially at the costs.

sondevil89

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":fqbsjwgs said:
Rat":fqbsjwgs said:
Hawk_Nation":fqbsjwgs said:

By all accounts this years draft OL are below average. But the CB class is above average. IMO sign OL in FA and draft CB.

By all accounts this is one of the richest cornerback drafts in years w/mock drafters claiming several could be taken in the first round. Edit: and yes, I agree, if you can find decent free-agent OL, get them and draft CB. Seahawks not rebuilding yet and need immediate help on OL before window closes.

"(Man, this CB class is loaded. There are 10 players that could be drafted in the first round without me batting an eye — yes, I’m serious.)"
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nf ... team-needs

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
We're using guys like Nate Odomes, Deion Branch, and TJ Houshmandzadeh as reasons to only acquire non-linemen through the draft? Aside from the fact that Carroll/Schneider had nothing to do with those guys, there have also been a lot of drafted linemen in our history who have been disappointments as well: Lamar King, Anton Palepoi, Jordan Hill, James Carpenter, John Moffitt, E.J. Wilson, Lawrence Jackson, Chris Spencer, Wayne Hunter, Chris McIntosh, Ray Roberts, etc.

I've been hearing fans laud our front office for years for "leaving no stone unturned". Completely shutting off a player acquisition method just because Cary Williams was terrible (he was bad with his previous team too, which should have told PC/JS something) seems to go against the philosophy of this front office. Even if free agency is not their preferred method, I can't imagine they're myopic enough to not at least explore it, especially when many teams have benefitted greatly from it in recent years.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mohammed Seisay and Stanley Jean-Baptiste are still Seahawks. If they can stay healthy, they may be good depth corners. Seisay was doing well when he played (which was not much). Both guys look to have good size too.

GLio14

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2hy071zf said:
Mohammed Seisay and Stanley Jean-Baptiste are still Seahawks. If they can stay healthy, they may be good depth corners. Seisay was doing well when he played (which was not much). Both guys look to have good size too.

They're both intriguing, but the whole time they've been with us, they haven't been able to stay healthy which worries me. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a CB or two in this draft. We'll need the depth. Not ready to hand the keys to Elliott.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would love to get Garret Bolles like that fox sports mock draft has us taking. Getting a solid left tackle would be huge for this team and he is a good run blocker from what I have read on him.

aredub

Reaction score
Rat":3k53g5v2 said:
Hawk_Nation":3k53g5v2 said:

This is great draft for CB's. Lots of options in the draft this year. Drafting a corner in round one is actually a real possibility this year with the amount of talent there is. We are not in a position to draft one of the better olineman in round 1 with out having to trade up or an epic fall by one of the top 2 Tackles. I could see us being aggressive in free agency, but not at Corner. More likely going after offensive line in Free Agency. They also paid Lane pretty good money to play the nickel, don't know how much $$ they want locked up in that position.

OwnTheWest

Reaction score
I agree that we should grow our own CBs through the draft. We've had good success at that.

I also think that our current group, including Shead and Lane, are decent so I'd go with a depth pick.

What worries me more is a backup for Earl. He's made rumblings about retirement more than once, and Terrell doesn't impress me as having the head to play at an elite level.