Russell Wilson offseason

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that RW is a driven man. I'm sure he has already determined his off season goals. There are two things that I hope he works on.

1. An ability to step up into the pocket.
Too many times when the pocket started to break (if there was one), he would attempt to scramble and would end up sacked. Often times it appeared that a simple steps up would result in a bit more time to find an open receiver.

2. Vary his scrambling "routine".
It is appearing to me more and more that he may be a creature of habit. During the first few years of watching him scramble around and make what we have grown accustomed to as Russell magic, may just be rehearsed scrambling. I started to notice a pattern to his scrambling that used to appear as random. When forced out of the pocket, he will often go straight back and then make a move to his left. I have rarely seen him scramble out to his right. If I have noticed this, I'm sure opposing defensive coordinators have made note of it.

So to sum up, learn when to step and if you must bail, vary your direction.

Rat

Reaction score
The #1 thing he needs to work on is getting healthy. Hopefully, he'll be better protected next season.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
He has 6-7 months to get healthy. That will be the easy part. Staying healthy will be determined by a better o-line and by better avoiding whatever pass rush he faces. I think the two things I stated will help tremendously.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":6k06peig said:
Hopefully he has regular bowel movements.

Don't laugh.

It is important

I'm sure he has them on regularly scheduled intervals.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The most important factor to stepping up in a pocket is the center. The center has to hold their own. If the center gets blown up, it makes any QB uncomfortable. Bonus if your LT can keep the D-lineman going around instead of lateral

fenderbender123

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":26df6er8 said:
Too many times when the pocket started to break (if there was one), he would attempt to scramble and would end up sacked. Often times it appeared that a simple steps up would result in a bit more time to find an open receiver.

This x 1000. I watch all the other great QBs climb the pocket. Russ just stands there and then runs sideways or backwards when he's pressured. Climb the pocket, Russ. Climb it. You take a step or two up and suddenly you've given your tackle(s) more space to make another block.

Sign37now

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1rp2uj7d said:
oldhawkfan":1rp2uj7d said:

This x 1000. I watch all the other great QBs climb the pocket. Russ just stands there and then runs sideways or backwards when he's pressured. Climb the pocket, Russ. Climb it. You take a step or two up and suddenly you've given your tackle(s) more space to make another block.

There's rarely a pocket to climb. I can't count how many times while in shotgun the defenders seemed to get to Russ before or at the same time as the damn ball!

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Russell was climbing the pocket last year, then he got a whole new line. Think about it earlier this season, how many times did our RBs get blasted behind the line of scrimmage and losing yards, and you want Wilson to climb that pocket?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, your second point is one I hadn't even thought of oldhawk.

One thing I noticed this year was how he sort of did a flinch and ducked his head for a moment as the pass rush was bearing down on him. Sometimes he was able to escape, but that brief moment of hesitation can't be productive. It's a habit he needs to break because he will be pressured again even with better line play.

I also thought even with his injuries, he was able to do a better job of reading defenses and checking into an audible when warranted. I expect he will make even more progress with that next season.