Earl's right, it would have been different if he was playing

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
The defense just wasn't the same as years past. It looked to me all game like Sherman was playing too deep against Julio. I believe he was coached to play off and just prevent him from getting by because he couldn't count on Earl backing him up and nobody had any faith in the backup. I think a healthy Earl changes everything and will change everything next season! I believe we should after O-linemen and maybe another receiver. The run game will be fine if Rawls and Procise can stay healthier, Wilson will be Wilson again with some time off and all will be well!

Sign37now

Reaction score
Fixing the worst Oline I have ever seen should be their #1 priority. If not RW's new found health will not last long next season. Bevell needs to go too. Too conservative and predictable. Everyone knows how to defend this team now.

classicaaron

Reaction score
they got beat by short completions, not sure how earl would have helped much. sure he could have made a couple tackles to save some yards. all that would have done was prolonged the falcons drives as they picked us apart. not like they were throwing 60 yard bombs all day. Maybe he accounts for saving a touchdown but no way does he turn the game into a victory.

Boycie

Reaction score
classicaaron":c2bd6n1p said:
they got beat by short completions, not sure how earl would have helped much. sure he could have made a couple tackles to save some yards. all that would have done was prolonged the falcons drives as they picked us apart. not like they were throwing 60 yard bombs all day. Maybe he accounts for saving a touchdown but no way does he turn the game into a victory.

If you saw the stats they flashed on the screen during the game you might change your tune. It stated that the opposing team's QB rating was 20 points higher with Earl out than when he was playing. Teams also scored 4 more points against us with Earl out, and we had 11 picks with Earl, and zero without.

Earl being out has shown me that he is the reason that the other DBs are as successful as they have been. Sherm is not the same player without ET back there.

Some of those short completions that we were getting beat by might not happen, because our guys could have been more aggressive, instead of playing conservative without their security blanket behind them.

classicaaron

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1q20yoa0 said:
classicaaron":1q20yoa0 said:

If you saw the stats they flashed on the screen during the game you might change your tune. It stated that the opposing team's QB rating was 20 points higher with Earl out than when he was playing. Teams also scored 4 more points against us with Earl out, and we had 11 picks with Earl, and zero without.

Earl being out has shown me that he is the reason that the other DBs are as successful as they have been. Sherm is not the same player without ET back there.

Some of those short completions that we were getting beat by might not happen, because our guys could have been more aggressive, instead of playing conservative without their security blanket behind them.

ill elaborate my thought. yes I saw that stat and agree that for a full season Earl clearly makes the defense better and hes a major asset to this defense. hes an all time great safety. I just meant I don't think he would have helped in the falcons game. we lose that game even with him on the field.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This one is kind of a no-brainer, just look at what the Seahawks did aginst the falcons with No Kam vs No Earl. In fact, this Seahawks team had more pass rushers this time but it did not matter with all the pass coverage screw ups.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't know if we would have beaten Atlanta, but I think we would have at least ended up as the #2 seed, which would have given us a better chance of advancing.

RussB

Reaction score
Earl would have made a difference. But they still would have probably lost. This offense cant compete with anyone they are the worst in the league i dont care what the stats say. When the offense is that bad it doesnt matter how good the defense is.

kidhawk

Reaction score
classicaaron":z1yga4eh said:

When you have an Earl Thomas playing FS, it allows other guys to play tighter coverages, because of the knowledge that Earl will be there to clean up any mistakes. Without Earl, and with Terrell's lack of open field tackling abilities, and just not quite the nose for the football that Thomas has, it means other defenders are bound to play softer so as not to give up the "big play". This is not how we are built.

I've said for years that ET is quietly the Seahawks MVP and this injury proves that point. Fewer turnovers, better passer ratings, more yards, more points. Our defense went from top of the league with Earl to barely average without him. With an average defense and average (perhaps even below average) offense, you're going to have inconsistent results. We saw that play out at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

I am thankful that he didn't decide to retire, because I'm not sure the Seahawks will ever be the same when he's gone.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
11 ints with him in there versus 0 without--turnovers win games. The offense is getting the ball in great position, doesn't need to do as much. Turnovers are game-breakers.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
classicaaron":1yph70sl said:

Thomas flashes in and keeps those short completions to short completions. He limits the YAC like few other safeties I have ever seen.

He covers sideline to sideline across the top, allowing Sherman and co to play press man or something closer to that, rather than playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, like they had to in his absence.

He is a vital component of our red zone defense. You correctly note that Atlanta would have had long drives. Seattle, under Carroll, has not been a team that forces a ton of 3 and outs. We give up long drives, but we are stingy in the Red Zone, when the field gets small. It's why we have lead the league in points allowed, but not in yards. Thomas is a huge contributor to that success.

He a team leader in PD and INTs for many years. In this, injury shortened, season, he almost matched Sherman and Shead for PD.

With Thomas, we have home field advantage. With Thomas, we are hosting the NFCCG. Without Thomas, the Seahawks, and their fans, will all be watching the NFCCG on TV.