One silver lining - Paul Richardson

King Dog

Reaction score
Richardson really turned it on at the end of the season. Health is obviously going to always be a concern, but this guy can ball out.

I've thought for a while now Kearse would be a good #4 wr. If everything goes right with Lockett's recovery, that's exactly what he will be.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Richardson was great at the end of the year. The best thing was that he caught some balls, took some hits, and made some incredible catches, and ended up the year healthy.

He's living up to his 2nd round draft status.

Foghawk

Reaction score
I'm expecting big things from him next season. Isn't he entering the final season of his rookie contract?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Just needs to prove he can stay healthy wilth a full work load.

I don't know if its cause of his number, or our uniforms, but he looks so dang tiny out there.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Much like Jimmy Graham, they'll need to completely change their offensive identity to use Richardson appropriately. Because Kearse is always going to be a better run blocker than P-Rich.

Increasingly, I think the reason this offense continually struggles is that the personal just consistently appears ill-suited to the scheme/style they want to be. Either change players or change scheme. Because this is spread personnel trying to be smash mouth run.

classicaaron

Reaction score
he certainly showed he has hands and is a worthy receiver on the roster. much much much better than Kearse. lets just hope he stays healthy. you would think with a college and pro lifting program and he could add some bulk but genetics is a funny thing.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Its baffling that they didn't get him involved more during the season with other guys struggling ahead of him at a historic level during the regular season. I'm at a loss for words honestly.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
austinslater25":1x84po8f said:
Its baffling that they didn't get him involved more during the season with other guys struggling ahead of him at a historic level during the regular season. I'm at a loss for words honestly.

Curse is Russell's guy. It was Russell's power move to get him re-signed. He didn't want to hurt his ego by admitting his mistake.

mikeak

Reaction score
King Dog":31c8agnc said:
Richardson really turned it on at the end of the season. .

Hard to be playing well when the coaches don't put you on the field.....

I honestly saw nothing from Richardson in the last two games that I didn't see at the end of his rookie season........

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
classicaaron":2mnkzyqy said:
he certainly showed he has hands and is a worthy receiver on the roster. much much much better than Kearse. lets just hope he stays healthy. you would think with a college and pro lifting program and he could add some bulk but genetics is a funny thing.
Speedy guys have to be careful bulking up. They don't want to go from little and skinny to little, bulky, and slow.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Mojambo":3atwf250 said:
Much like Jimmy Graham, they'll need to completely change their offensive identity to use Richardson appropriately. Because Kearse is always going to be a better run blocker than P-Rich.

This confuses me.

We already changed our identity. We don't run the ball. By choice. We simply don't call run plays with any kind of commitment whatsoever.

Why would we care if a WR (or OL for that matter) is good at run blocking when we willingly throw as much as any team in the NFL does at this stage.

We've already documented how the play calling has just abandoned the run game. It's not a question of the run game isn't working so we start to pass. We're passing right out of the chute, and with the sole exception of the Lions game -- haven't committed to it at all.

Even if we start off running well, we go to a 70-30 or more pass run split for then next 3-4 drives. There is an unmistakable trend in the plays called to feature Wilson. Why this is, we can't easily know.

I have to believe, that the play calling is a direct result of what they see in practice throughout the week. That they know before hand that the quality is sub par. And that it's not that they aren't trying -- but know well before hand that their run game is suspect/broken. Just because we can chart their unwillingness to run doesn't account for what is seen in the days leading up to the games.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3sy49fae said:
Mojambo":3sy49fae said:

This confuses me.

We already changed our identity. We don't run the ball. By choice. We simply don't call run plays with any kind of commitment whatsoever.

Why would we care if a WR (or OL for that matter) is good at run blocking when we willingly throw as much as any team in the NFL does at this stage.

We've already documented how the play calling has just abandoned the run game. It's not a question of the run game isn't working so we start to pass. We're passing right out of the chute, and with the sole exception of the Lions game -- haven't committed to it at all.

Even if we start off running well, we go to a 70-30 or more pass run split for then next 3-4 drives. There is an unmistakable trend in the plays called to feature Wilson. Why this is, we can't easily know.

I have to believe, that the play calling is a direct result of what they see in practice throughout the week. That they know before hand that the quality is sub par. And that it's not that they aren't trying -- but know well before hand that their run game is suspect/broken. Just because we can chart their unwillingness to run doesn't account for what is seen in the days leading up to the games.

It took all Pete's willpower to keep the pass-first mentality going. He wants big plays, and for that he needs play action, and for that he needs the run game. Abandoning the run was largely a symptom of 1) 3 rookies on the OL struggling to learn the system, 2) getting behind quickly, and 3) injured RBs. I think we see the run game back next year.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I have always loved PRich. Talk about underrated and underutilized.

bighawk

Reaction score
The only good that came out of losing Lockett was the opportunity for P-rich to play. I am excited to see Lockett & P-rich on the field together. There's entirely too much talent on offense to struggle scoring on offense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Was really happy to see what Richardson could do. Add that to Baldwin, Lockett, Graham (hopefully they keep him around) and you have a pretty solid WR core.

Bryce84

Reaction score
Lockett and injuries have been P-Rich's biggest obstacles, along with a mind-boggling insistence by the coaching staff to keep playing Kearse. Lockett just does a lot of the same things as P-Rich and has generally been healthier.

To those commenting on Kearse's ability to block "always" being better than P-Rich, have you actually watched them block? Kearse is supposed to be our "biggest" WR but he is the softest, and he can't get open without committing OPI unless the defense just doesn't cover him. It doesn't entirely thrill me to think of Baldwin, Lockett and PRich out there in 3 WR sets since they're all of the smaller variety, but it sure beats seeing Kearse on the field.

Very excited for this WR group (and offense in general) moving forward if we can get even an NFL average offensive line.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm ready to let Kearse walk, will shed no tears if he is cut. PRich makes it more tolerable and is an upgrade. The real key is Tanner McEvoy continuing to develop, to replace what Kearse does, only do it better, and with added dimensions.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
For those who asked, Paul is signed through 2017 and hs cap hit is only $1.5M.

Time to extend him.

nash72

Reaction score
No way I extend his contract. Let him actually contribute and make it through an entire season without getting hurt before even thinking about extending his contract.

checkdanews

Reaction score
I just hope we don't pull a Golden Tate with him, Were he finally turns it on...We get 1 final good season out of him, then someone else pay's him the big bucks. Well...I don't think Tate's contract was super crazy, but still. I hope we get to keep our shiny new toy longer then 1 season.