Stacked receiver sets for Julio

Ozzy

Reaction score
Anyone else wonder why we don't do more of this near the goal line to get Graham some space? I thought Shanahan was brilliant to do this and essentially made the play unstoppable especially if they don't call it an illegal pick when the front receiver starts blocking from the snap lol. Anyway I hope we see more of this going forward. Do we do it as well near the goal line and I'm just not remembering it? I've seen it inside the 20's but not at the goal line.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
A drop in the ocean of the Things Bevell Should Do but Doesn't.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
We have done it a couple of times. Bevell used a really creative formation to free Graham against Detroit. I know he's capable of doing it we just don't seem to do it enough is the problem I have.

Seymour

Reaction score
One thing I'll say about Bevell, is he will copy others plays and make use of them. Unfortunately, it typically will take him 6 games to a year to find and implement it (going clear back to RG3 showing Bevell how to use Russell). The other side of that is, once it works, he will never come back to it, so there is that to consider.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I was really impressed with Atlanta playing to their personnel strength. They called plays to get their best players involved. We like using our best players as a decoy.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
That's sort of where I was going. I'm hoping we watch tape and attempt to do something similar with Graham going forward.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I've been thinking more about how the hell you stop that offense. Obviously having great to elite players at all 3 levels isn't enough. Or, maybe we just aren't that good. Seems like the DBs/LBs couldn't cover for more than 3 seconds, which isn't enough time to let the pass rush do it's thing.

mistaowen

Reaction score
fenderbender123":30xrtul7 said:
I've been thinking more about how the hell you stop that offense. Obviously having great to elite players at all 3 levels isn't enough. Or, maybe we just aren't that good. Seems like the DBs/LBs couldn't cover for more than 3 seconds, which isn't enough time to let the pass rush do it's thing.

Kris stayed with 4 man rush and zone for a lot of the game. That is fine, except they need to jam at the line, not be off coverage. Matt was getting the ball out very fast. Front four actually had a good game, problem is giving their players a free release was just asking to be beat.

If he didn't want to send more rushers, fine, but they needed to be in press coverage to allow the DL a second or two more.

ATL's offensive personnel and scheme are terrific regardless, Shanahan is an awesome OC. A lot of their play calls had multiple levels, forces zone defense to choose a spot and hope they're right (Earl is incredible at this). He got Terrell a bunch of times in the middle of the field hitting the other option. They are also one of the best check down teams in the NFL.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
fenderbender123":rg9bki80 said:

Only way you stop any explosive offense is to get a pass rush going early and often.

Every elite offense that has ran into a defense that can pressure the QB consistently has had success. That's including our last 2 Super Bowl appearances too.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I really thought we would be able to get more pressure and it just didn't happen. Good point Hasselbeck.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1zqg133e said:

You get an Earl Thomas in your backfield so you can play press-man and give your pass rush time to get home.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2cb2hkbc said:
fenderbender123":2cb2hkbc said:

Only way you stop any explosive offense is to get a pass rush going early and often.

Every elite offense that has ran into a defense that can pressure the QB consistently has had success. That's including our last 2 Super Bowl appearances too.

I thought Seattle did pressure Ryan though.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seymour":14kszmo4 said:
One thing I'll say about Bevell, is he will copy others plays and make use of them. Unfortunately, it typically will take him 6 games to a year to find and implement it (going clear back to RG3 showing Bevell how to use Russell). The other side of that is, once it works, he will never come back to it, so there is that to consider.

That's because once it starts working, other teams will expect it. They'd never expect the Seahawks to run plays that don't work!

scrummymustard

Reaction score
austinslater25":2gxtu0km said:
That's sort of where I was going. I'm hoping we watch tape and attempt to do something similar with Graham going forward.

If the coaching staff hasn't watched the tape of the 5 years of Graham destroying NFL defenses in NO, I'd be surprised if they miraculously start now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Soft zone and Bevell, stacking receivers to get Graham open would be letting the defense know something, better to use a bubble screen. They won't expect it.

But how about having a defense that is weak against the run and almost ignore the running game.

They won;'t expect us to try to pass.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":3731gydf said:
Soft zone and Bevell, stacking receivers to get Graham open would be letting the defense know something, better to use a bubble screen. They won't expect it.

But how about having a defense that is weak against the run and almost ignore the running game.

They won;'t expect us to try to pass.
All I know is change at the coaching level is needed and if neither Bevell or Cable is gone Pete will be after 2017.

Know and accept this before you fire up your pitchfork.... Russell "Ciara" Wilson has a big part in this fiasco also.

sondevil89

Reaction score
mistaowen":1j2vbkeo said:
fenderbender123":1j2vbkeo said:

Kris stayed with 4 man rush and zone for a lot of the game. That is fine, except they need to jam at the line, not be off coverage. Matt was getting the ball out very fast. Front four actually had a good game, problem is giving their players a free release was just asking to be beat.

If he didn't want to send more rushers, fine, but they needed to be in press coverage to allow the DL a second or two more.

ATL's offensive personnel and scheme are terrific regardless, Shanahan is an awesome OC. A lot of their play calls had multiple levels, forces zone defense to choose a spot and hope they're right (Earl is incredible at this). He got Terrell a bunch of times in the middle of the field hitting the other option. They are also one of the best check down teams in the NFL.

You are spot-here, the free release killed us especially in those catch-and-run routes. Richards should have totally anticipated this after that first game where we got to their QB so much. I know it's easy to blame coordinators after a bad loss but the defense just hasn't been the same since he came on board.

olyfan63

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1m7x5424 said:
A drop in the ocean of the Things Bevell Should Do but Doesn't.

Yup. I wonder how much this reflects Bevell vs the constraints Pete places on him.