A Significant Development Towards the End of the Season

sondevil89

Reaction score
I think everyone here noticed the dissatisfaction among players in game situations and in their comments after games. If I'm not mistaken, this hasn't been seen much before in this current edition of the team. Obviously, that could just be a reaction to bad losses, but it feels like much more. It has been discussed on this board amid the endless speculation that occurs on fan boards but it sure would be interesting to know the depth of it and where it is directed.

Sherman clearly directed comments at the play calling and it has been suspected that Graham and others may have too, but there is also a narrative being formed around dissatisfaction w/Richards as well. It could be said that it is mainly limited to a couple of players, but that would seem to be predictable with only the players most secure in their status feeling empowered enough to do so.

At the risk of unleashing another round of speculation, I wonder if we will ever know the true depth of the players perception re: the direction of the organization.

Aircrew

Reaction score
You know, I was thinking about that as well. This team has historically been one of unity and accountability, this year it was quite the opposite. It will be very interesting to see what decisions Carroll makes this offseason.

2_0_6

Reaction score
When players are held at a higher standard than the coaches, there is a problem.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I said it a while back in one of the sherman posts. This team is held together by a razor wire thin margin. When it blows it will explode. Sherman/Bennett have shown the starting of the problem. Most likely a side effect of the way PC coaches. When things were/are good, everything's great, when things start to go bad they are going to go real bad.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
It does seem like the players are more irritated. Injuries upset teammates and cause frustration. I also think defensive players are getting pissed off and fed up with offense not holding up their end of the deal in games.

Even worse, is seems very obvious PC sees no issue with the offense, particularly the OLine. I don't believe it is him being politically correct either. There is a difference between politically correct and denial.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3e0j7xv5 said:
When players are held at a higher standard than the coaches, there is a problem.

I posted on this a few weeks ago talking about how double standards will destroy any organization.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Indeed, per the sideline and locker-room issues discussed weeks ago.

Likely has been festering within the team for some time, perhaps even years...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Aside from the 2 Sherm outbursts, I've seen nothing else to suggest locker room discord. And during Pete's presser today, it appears those issues with Sherm won't happen again.

Seymour

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2maekik5 said:
Aside from the 2 Sherm outbursts, I've seen nothing else to suggest locker room discord. And during Pete's presser today, it appears those issues with Sherm won't happen again.

A) Sherman has had 3 outbursts, 2 coaches and a media member he threatened to revoke his press pass.
B) Pete said the same thing after the first go round with Sherm on the field. Sherm does what Sherm wants.
C) Graham has been clearly seen frustrated on the sidelines with animated angry body language and expressions (I have yet to see anyone debate that but go ahead).
D) Kam had post game comments after Saturdays game clearly pointing to inner team distractions and them getting in the way and taking from the teams focus and energy.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the outbursts actually hurt the team on the field (arguably Sherman that one game did), but it's definitely making me embarrassed as a fan to see some of the behavior from a couple guys who should be veteran leaders of this team and are smart enough to know better.

As much attention as Sherman got this year (and calling out your coaches in public is never a good idea: do it behind closed doors; nor is threatening someone's career), Bennett set a new low on Saturday when he went on a swear-filled and downright nasty/mean tirade against - not some idiot sports talking head - but the respected news anchor of the Seahawks primary TV station. Questioning the adversity and toughness of someone who went through a very public battle with cancer (granted, I'll assume Bennett didn't know this) just made the entire thing look even more ridiculous than it already was.

While I don't want to see players benched for forgetting to wear their tie, Pete really needs to get a grip on this team. Best case, these distractions make the Seahawks look classless, worst case, they hurt us on the field.

On the plus side, as someone who's also a Vikings fan and lived through the Love Boat "incident", I'm pretty used to one of my teams embarrassing me, it just never used to be the Seahawks.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":d609yltz said:
Siouxhawk":d609yltz said:

A) Sherman has had 3 outbursts, 2 coaches and a media member he threatened to revoke his press pass.
B) Pete said the same thing after the first go round with Sherm on the field. Sherm does what Sherm wants.
C) Graham has been clearly seen frustrated on the sidelines with animated angry body language and expressions (I have yet to see anyone debate that but go ahead).
D) Kam had post game comments after Saturdays game clearly pointing to inner team distractions and them getting in the way and taking from the teams focus and energy.
I understand the examples of A, B and D, but I don't see enough tangible evidence with C to equate it to disharmony or dissatisfaction. Jimmys an emotional freak, which is cool, and he's always flexing and gyrating on the sidelines. The only thing I didn't like was when he headbutted Willson or McAvoy after a big play in the Detroit game and nearly knocked him cold. Did you see that?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The defense has little reason to be frustrated with the offense. This is the NFL. You want to be considered the greatest in the NFL? Get some stops without Earl. The Hawks have put up 20-30 in several games, with a few struggles in between

randomation

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1w1m9czg said:

This is by far the biggest issue as far as locker room cohesion. You think that BB would still have Cable on his staff after investing more than the freaking cowboys as far as draft capital into Oline and getting pretty much nothing in return

mrt144

Reaction score
Scorpion05":auu5n2vp said:
The defense has little reason to be frustrated with the offense. This is the NFL. You want to be considered the greatest in the NFL? Get some stops without Earl. The Hawks have put up 20-30 in several games, with a few struggles in between

Maybe our 3 deep zone only is held togethe by Earl?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I've seen the comments directed towards Bevell. I'm not sure I've seen anything explicitly thrown in Richards' direction.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RussB":3ci7yhd1 said:
I think its pretty obvious most of them dont like bevell.
Names please. Who doesn't like him in that locker room?

Largent80

Reaction score
Say what you want but the facts are, not a single person knows except the players.

This forum is full of a bunch of whining speculators that think they know things or are simply spouting off because they can.

It's just a game, and you guys act like everything in the world revolves around it, microanylizing ever nuance of everything.

Quite humorous and mildly entertaining.

StoneCold

Reaction score
sondevil89":32gf1hlf said:
I think everyone here noticed the dissatisfaction among players in game situations and in their comments after games. If I'm not mistaken, this hasn't been seen much before in this current edition of the team. Obviously, that could just be a reaction to bad losses, but it feels like much more. It has been discussed on this board amid the endless speculation that occurs on fan boards but it sure would be interesting to know the depth of it and where it is directed.

Sherman clearly directed comments at the play calling and it has been suspected that Graham and others may have too, but there is also a narrative being formed around dissatisfaction w/Richards as well. It could be said that it is mainly limited to a couple of players, but that would seem to be predictable with only the players most secure in their status feeling empowered enough to do so.

At the risk of unleashing another round of speculation, I wonder if we will ever know the true depth of the players perception re: the direction of the organization.

Really? Other than Richard are their any other documented examples?

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2uysdl6g said:
RussB":2uysdl6g said:
I think its pretty obvious most of them dont like bevell.
Names please. Who doesn't like him in that locker room?

not all of them speak out but where there is smoke there is usually fire.

We've heard rumblings for years about the frustration with the offense as the defense had to pitch near shutouts to win. The worse the d got the louder the rumblings. The most vocal will speak first...that was Sherm...Lynchs mom spoke out cause Lynch never did but don't doubt she shared some of his thoughts as the rumblings were there too. Grahams showed frustration. I seem to remember Bennetts made a comment about the struggles but I'll have to find the exact quote as I can't remember exactly what he said. You aren't going to get a full scale revolt in public but those are some leaders on this team when you're talking sherm bennett and lynch. They carry a lot of sway. We don't know we're not there but it's not out of the realm of possibility