Bennett Locker room meltdown

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Any details on this, heard about it on the radio briefly, no details though

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Nope...Michael... you did not get " a lot of pressure"...

sdog1981

Reaction score
I think it was Ian Furness or one of the other guys for the local post game TV show.

HawkGA

Reaction score
This, to me, is just another sign of the defense being pissed at the offense. Sounds like Bennett is trying to suggest, rightly or wrongly, that it at least wasn't the DLine. I doubt he's blaming the defensive backs. I think this is a "we did our job" blow up. And I don't' think it's good.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":1z1vki00 said:
This, to me, is just another sign of the defense being pissed at the offense. Sounds like Bennett is trying to suggest, rightly or wrongly, that it at least wasn't the DLine. I doubt he's blaming the defensive backs. I think this is a "we did our job" blow up. And I don't' think it's good.

To me it's a sign of Pete losing control of his team.

It's the downside of allowing your players to be "themselves." Pete gives his guys a very long leash to express their opinions, and outbursts like Bennett's and Sherman's this year is the downside of that coaching philosophy.

What would happen to guys like Sherman and Bennett if they played for the Patriot's? Idk, but I bet if you asked Jamie Collins that questions, he'd tell you what happens when you speak your mind. You become a Brown as a example to everyone else.

So if Pete wants this team to regain it's edge and focus in the off season, he better get control of all these egos. Because this team isn't good enough anymore to block out these type of distractions, unhappiness and in-fighting.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
sdog1981":hivobgej said:
I think it was Ian Furness or one of the other guys for the local post game TV show.

Not Furness, It was Bill Wixie from a local Seattle media outlet, tv/radio/print, sorry I don't know which one.

GO HAWKS!!!

12HawkFan

Reaction score
HawkGA":2kio5drr said:

The defense didn't have anything to be upset with the offense against Atlanta, it was the defense that forced only one punt, and let Atlanta drive 99 yards, etc, etc.

The offense has plenty of problems I will be happy to admit but the bottom line is the Game against Atlanta Saturday the award who really blew the game was the defense, they stopped Atlanta a grand total of one time, and I will give the Special Teams an honorable mention for their bad deeds as well.

Lots to fix this off-season that will include some missing faces from the defense.

GO HAWKS!!!

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3t6cocpk said:
HawkGA":3t6cocpk said:

It's the downside of allowing your players to be "themselves." Pete gives his guys a very long leash to express their opinions, and outbursts like Bennett's and Sherman's this year is the downside of that coaching philosophy.

What would happen to guys like Sherman and Bennett if they played for the Patriot's? Idk, but I bet if you asked Jamie Collins that questions, he'd tell you what happens when you speak your mind. You become a Brown as a example to everyone else.

So if Pete wants this team to regain it's edge and focus in the off season, he better get control of all these egos. Because this team isn't good enough anymore to block out these type of distractions, unhappiness and in-fighting.

Costanza clapping

Exactly!! Giving 25 yr old millionaires free rein to do and say as they please in the press and sidelines is nothing more than a ticking time bomb. Many will have no idea where that fine line is until they cross it a few times, and even then there is a good chance some won't care.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ggfo7xd said:
HawkGA":1ggfo7xd said:

How do you control egos? You don't. You let them vent it out. What is wrong with that? At least you know how they feel. Then if it is something that you can address and help then you at least know. If they mop around without saying anything then I would worry more. Until players start bashing there own team Pete probably will never step in. IMO I like that. I also don't like comparisons to Bill B and the Pats. I don't want them to be the Patriots. I want them to be Seahawks.

HawkGA

Reaction score
12HawkFan":2wvzo7dn said:
HawkGA":2wvzo7dn said:

The defense didn't have anything to be upset with the offense against Atlanta, it was the defense that forced only one punt, and let Atlanta drive 99 yards, etc, etc.

The offense has plenty of problems I will be happy to admit but the bottom line is the Game against Atlanta Saturday the award who really blew the game was the defense, they stopped Atlanta a grand total of one time, and I will give the Special Teams an honorable mention for their bad deeds as well.

Lots to fix this off-season that will include some missing faces from the defense.

GO HAWKS!!!

I'm not saying Bennett is right. Particularly not in that particular game. But I think over the course of the season? Absolutely. This defense started out on fire. I honestly think the first Cardinals game largely broke them. Sure they played well in places here and there but it was too long of a season with insufficient breaks for them to really recover after that.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
12HawkFan":1httkt79 said:
sdog1981":1httkt79 said:

Not Furness, It was Bill Wixie from a local Seattle media outlet, tv/radio/print, sorry I don't know which one.

GO HAWKS!!!

He anchors Q13/Fox news in the morning here in Seattle. He's a local guy, grew up in Kirkland, big Seattle sports fan.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This is a situation where a fully grown adult got mad and said some cuss words and mean things to another fully grown adult. In other words, who cares?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3hjqaov1 said:
Until players start bashing there own team Pete probably will never step in.

You mean like flipping their coaches the bird from the field (which has happened 2x now) or getting in screaming matches with each other and/or their coaches on the sideline? Does being a generally really undisciplined team that racks up unnecessary penalties all the time count as bashing your own team?

Like it or not, the Hawks are a very undisciplined team, and that comes from the top down and always has.

To be clear I think they're an incredibly talented team and are going to continue be a major part of the conversation for the next three years at an absolute minimum, but they're as undisciplined of a team as currently exists in the NFL, and that shows its head in a myriad of ways.

mrt144

Reaction score
12HawkFan":1q2pozin said:
HawkGA":1q2pozin said:

GO HAWKS!!!

I would argue that the safety sapped the morale of the defense something fierce. We all believe that NFL players are more mentally resilient than fans but I got a "Here we go again, in the mold of the Tampa game" feeling when the safety happened. Without ET I'm sure the defense knew it was all up to them and they were behind the 8 ball in it.

It's probably a combination of being defensive about nitpicking the performance of the d line that relative to other facets of the team didn't do too poorly and also the stress of having to compensate for all the weak areas of the team through their effort alone.

hawker84

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":1lp70im0 said:
Sgt. Largent":1lp70im0 said:
HawkGA":1lp70im0 said:

How do you control egos? You don't. You let them vent it out. What is wrong with that? At least you know how they feel. Then if it is something that you can address and help then you at least know. If they mop around without saying anything then I would worry more. Until players start bashing there own team Pete probably will never step in. IMO I like that. I also don't like comparisons to Bill B and the Pats. I don't want them to be the Patriots. I want them to be Seahawks.

Different generation, different mind set, different expectations. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you can definitely see the age difference in some of these posts. Me personally I want the coach to have control of his players. I want the players to realize they're not only employees, but they represent me and my team as a fan and financial supporter of the Seahawks.

I have no problem with players showing emotion, as long as it's not airing dirty laundry out in the streets. But then again, I'm old and grumpy and think the league is far to pussified these days.

hawker84

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1q86hg0n said:
Year of The Hawk":1q86hg0n said:

You mean like flipping their coaches the bird from the field (which has happened 2x now) or getting in screaming matches with each other and/or their coaches on the sideline? Does being a generally really undisciplined team that racks up unnecessary penalties all the time count as bashing your own team?

Like it or not, the Hawks are a very undisciplined team, and that comes from the top down and always has.

To be clear I think they're an incredibly talented team and are going to continue be a major part of the conversation for the next three years at an absolute minimum, but they're as undisciplined of a team as currently exists in the NFL, and that shows its head in a myriad of ways.

Yep, couldn't agree more... and it starts with Pete.

Boycie

Reaction score
hawker84":2avn5gvx said:
Popeyejones":2avn5gvx said:
Year of The Hawk":2avn5gvx said:

Yep, couldn't agree more... and it starts with Pete.

I think Pete's philosophy works with younger guys that are just breaking into the league, and have no sense of security so they are on their best behavior. But when these guys start to believe all of their own hype, then they think they are above reproach. I hope this doesn't turn into a "inmates running the asylum" scenario.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":c6knmdic said:
HawkGA":c6knmdic said:

Ehh, I disagree

For one, I hate when people use the Patriots as an example. They're proven, repeated cheaters. Simple. And they've been in a cakewalk division forever. Great sure, but the drop off between Pete and Belicheck is not huge imo. Belicheck would not have this much success in the NFC in any division with Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Dak/Romo, Palmer, Eli, and Rodgers

Pete has a philosophy based in Psychology, which is unconventional. Because it is unconventional people will overreact to stories like this. We are conditioned to react with disdain and give hot takes whenever a player actually does something human like go on a rant, which is pretty common even among non-athletes. I actually hate that we expect to treat players like children or dumb soldiers, where they shut up and do as their told with no back talk. That's backwards to me