Tom Cable- its down to 2

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/821025455469895681[/tweet]

Really don't think the 49ers deserve Kyle Shanahan. Not a big fan of Cable at the moment but Shanahan leaving Atlanta might be more beneficial for us in the sense that Atlanta loses him as an OC.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I can't for the life of me understand why Shanahan would take that job. McDaniel was smart to bow out. Stay one more year in ATL and your pick of jobs.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3n344e0q said:
I can't for the life of me understand why Shanahan would take that job. McDaniel was smart to bow out. Stay one more year in ATL and your pick of jobs.

One of 32.....even if ownership stinks.

crosfam

Reaction score
If Shanahan takes it he will undoubtedly call plays. Maybe Cable is really a candidate for OC/Asst Head Coach/OL coach? it would not surprise me at all.

Walter Jones for Seattle OL coach?

ARhawk

Reaction score
I hope we keep Cable. If he goes to SF and loads up on unproven athletic O-lineman, gives them more than one year to produce before giving up, and creates a cheap dominant line, I'm going to be so pissed.

I still think he can do that here, but we cant call for his head because you expected immediate results from raw players. This line will be good with continuity.

HawkGA

Reaction score
ARhawk":1tg7b5cd said:
I hope we keep Cable. If he goes to SF and loads up on unproven athletic O-lineman, gives them more than one year to produce before giving up, and creates a cheap dominant line, I'm going to be so pissed.

I still think he can do that here, but we cant call for his head because you expected immediate results from raw players. This line will be good with continuity.

Immediate results? How long has he been here? How many of his draft picks are on the scrap heap? I'm willing to cut somebody slack if they've been given a raw deal, but I just don't see that Cable has.

HawkGA

Reaction score
All the more reason to root for Atlanta. Hopefully they'll go to the Super Bowl and the 9ers will get tired of waiting.

Technical question: Since Cable is Assistant HC, could he leave and go to the 9ers for the same position or would the Seahawks be able to block it?

crosfam

Reaction score
I would like to keep him onboard - unlike most on this board I believe in continuity. Britt may be in the pro bowl, and we started rookies. But I see where other teams might give him a raise and he might see another job as a path to be a HC. Maybe the OC title would be enough.

OP
OP
seahawkfreak

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkGA":30gluf3w said:
All the more reason to root for Atlanta. Hopefully they'll go to the Super Bowl and the 9ers will get tired of waiting.

Technical question: Since Cable is Assistant HC, could he leave and go to the 9ers for the same position or would the Seahawks be able to block it?

I think Seattle could block it even if it was for HC. PC believes in rewarding his coaches and players though. That said, if it is anything less than HC I believe the organization would block the move.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2d9484yf said:

Why would he take the job? Millions of dollars AND a guaranteed contract. Even if you get fired after one year you walk away w/millions AND no loss to your cred because everyone knows you were working for a freaking idiot!

HawkGA

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":exgbllim said:
HawkGA":exgbllim said:

I think Seattle could block it even if it was for HC. PC believes in rewarding his coaches and players though. That said if it is anything less than HC I believe the organization would block the move.

They can't block a head coach move (even if they could, I agree they wouldn't). There is something in the league about being able to move for promotions.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Shanahan is interesting. I think he's got enough pedigree to wait out for another opportunity and given his dad's experience, you'd think he'd counsel him to do that. But if he's still in the running, perhaps he hasn't.

OP
OP
seahawkfreak

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkGA":1ebyw2uv said:
seahawkfreak":1ebyw2uv said:
HawkGA":1ebyw2uv said:

I think Seattle could block it even if it was for HC. PC believes in rewarding his coaches and players though. That said if it is anything less than HC I believe the organization would block the move.

They can't block a head coach move (even if they could, I agree they wouldn't). There is something in the league about being able to move for promotions.

I thought teams had to ask permission to speak to coaches they desire to interview. I guess Cable could break his contract but there are repercussions for that.

Seymour

Reaction score
ARhawk":3buul2x1 said:

Not a concern. Cable had the top paid oline in 2013 and still produced the #24 pass protection in the league. Yes, he can eventually produce a run blocking line. No he cannot pick talent well or ever pass protect. He will lead to the death of your QB sooner or later. Ask Russell's doctor.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
crosfam":3pfqm3vz said:

An interesting suggestion, provided that he'd want to come out of retirement and coach, but Hall of Fame players don't necessarily make a smooth transition from player to coach, no matter how great they were. Just look at the disaster Patrick Roy was as the Colorado Avs head coach.

Seymour":3pfqm3vz said:
ARhawk":3pfqm3vz said:

Not a concern. Cable had the top paid oline in 2013 and still produced the #24 pass protection in the league. Yes, he can eventually produce a run blocking line. No he cannot pick talent well or ever pass protect. He will lead to the death of your QB sooner or later. Ask Russell's doctor.

This, this, this. If Cable went to the 49ers, I'd be pretty happy.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
ARhawk":7nvz4mmd said:

Agree, this OL's potential is best if they are able to keep Cable, he is what their molded futures are all about.

ARhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1f7gepl9 said:
ARhawk":1f7gepl9 said:

Immediate results? How long has he been here? How many of his draft picks are on the scrap heap? I'm willing to cut somebody slack if they've been given a raw deal, but I just don't see that Cable has.
Immediate results from the players. A lot of his draft picks are playing for other teams on league average or better contracts. Moffitt and Poole are the only "early" round picks not playing right now.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1rwvvip6 said:
crosfam":1rwvvip6 said:

An interesting suggestion, provided that he'd want to come out of retirement and coach, but Hall of Fame players don't necessarily make a smooth transition from player to coach, no matter how great they were. Just look at the disaster Patrick Roy was as the Colorado Avs head coach.

Walter did tweet that he'd be interested. I don't know how serious he was but somebody posed the question to him.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Mcdaniels pulled his name from consideration for the 49ers job. Great. Now we need to go offer him whatever he wants. Bring him in. Now. Promise him the HC job if he sticks around until Pete retires.

grizbob

Reaction score
We just got our asses handed to us by an ex coach, I couldn't even begin to describe my consternation if Cable were to go to 'Frisco :roll: be careful of what you wish for.