Shead tore ACL vs. Falcons, out up to 8 months

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1209888

Shead - who's set to become a free agent in March - is facing the standard recovery time of up to eight months.

The injury could be devastating for Shead's contract negotiations, after he was set to cash in following an impressive season starting at cornerback opposite Richard Sherman.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
8 months puts him into September. Whether he leaves or not it just means that CB became a higher off season priority.

RussB

Reaction score
I dont think anyone signs him in free agency now. Nobody wants to sign a corner with a torn ACL.

Mojambo

Reaction score
They'll take a DB with their first pick.

I don't see them looking at FA in the secondary,

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Resign him to a one year cheap deal. He'll get to prove he's healthy and we get our #2CB for one more year.

Feel for the guy, but it doesn't suck for us.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Mojambo":23yxvfc8 said:

Here are some interesting ones

Trumaine Johnson 27yrs old
Stephon Gilmore 26yrs old
Dre Kirkpatrick 27yrs old

All over 6ft tall. Trumaine is way to expensive but I think the other two should at least be considered.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Mojambo":2t5ah9u7 said:

I don't think he'll far that fall but Sidney Jones would be a great pick at #26.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
To be accurate, Shead is a Restricted Free Agent so the Seahawks will probably tender him and be able to keep him.

But I don't expect to see much of him in 2017.

edogg23

Reaction score
Is it normal for someone with a torn ACL to be walking around on it like Shead was on the sidelines?

sdog1981

Reaction score
Kirkpatrick was kind of an underachiever. Like almost every Alabama player they tend to be garbage in the NFL

ringless

Reaction score
sdog1981":2w3j0cx1 said:
Kirkpatrick was kind of an underachiever. Like almost every Alabama player they tend to be garbage in the NFL

Not uncommon at all.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":sc4swbp0 said:
Resign him to a one year cheap deal. He'll get to prove he's healthy and we get our #2CB for one more year.

Feel for the guy, but it doesn't suck for us.

This....For a cheap 1 year deal again it would be good for us. He is a good assest in the secondary

Hawks46

Reaction score
edogg23":1p8avjhh said:
Is it normal for someone with a torn ACL to be walking around on it like Shead was on the sidelines?

It's not uncommon. I tore my ACL and was walking around on it without pain 2 hours later. I went to the medical tent (was in the field at the time) and the Naval Captain (who was a crusty old bastard) looked at it real quick and said "yup, you tore your ACL."

At which point my smart remark was "you're full of crap, how am I walking around on it?"

He tore me up about not being a doctor and when I went to the naval hospital I was told that there are people that are "ACL deficient" that walk around with partially or fully torn ACL's and can get through life just fine. They're not pro athletes but the normal person is fairly sedentary.

Rat

Reaction score
Hawks46":11zcryyl said:
edogg23":11zcryyl said:

It's not uncommon. I tore my ACL and was walking around on it without pain 2 hours later. I went to the medical tent (was in the field at the time) and the Naval Captain (who was a crusty old bastard) looked at it real quick and said "yup, you tore your ACL."

At which point my smart remark was "you're full of crap, how am I walking around on it?"

He tore me up about not being a doctor and when I went to the naval hospital I was told that there are people that are "ACL deficient" that walk around with partially or fully torn ACL's and can get through life just fine. They're not pro athletes but the normal person is fairly sedentary.

Same here. I walked around on mine OK until the swelling got out of hand.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Drafting for need at CB or throwing money at a veteran CB in desperation is a mistake on two fronts.

Firstly, it takes players time to get comfortable with the press and step kick. Our successful guys have always developed in house, often taking multiple seasons. Overpaying a player based on name who has been successful in a different system and then converting him here is a huge gamble that would likely fail. Counting on a rookie to start is also not a sure thing as none of our current guys contributed at all their first year.

Secondly, the strength of our coaching staff is secondary development. Young guys already on the roster (Seisay, Terrell, Jean-Baptiste, Thorpe, JJ) get the full off-season to improve and will be years ahead of whoever they are bringing in to compete.

If the best player available at our draft pick is a CB who we love then that's great and we turn in the card happy. Reaching for somebody on the other hand is a waste of our comparative advantage.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Sometimes one of the best available fits a position of need. Only the Seahawks can say how high they value someone on draft day and whether they were truly the best available or not.

OL, CB, S, OLB are all definitely positions we could stand to strengthen if the right people are available.

Tylerhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1qkcf1g8 said:
Drafting for need at CB or throwing money at a veteran CB in desperation is a mistake on two fronts.

Firstly, it takes players time to get comfortable with the press and step kick. Our successful guys have always developed in house, often taking multiple seasons. Overpaying a player based on name who has been successful in a different system and then converting him here is a huge gamble that would likely fail. Counting on a rookie to start is also not a sure thing as none of our current guys contributed at all their first year.

Secondly, the strength of our coaching staff is secondary development. Young guys already on the roster (Seisay, Terrell, Jean-Baptiste, Thorpe, JJ) get the full off-season to improve and will be years ahead of whoever they are bringing in to compete.

If the best player available at our draft pick is a CB who we love then that's great and we turn in the card happy. Reaching for somebody on the other hand is a waste of our comparative advantage.

Agreed

Also to note thats what they did with Carry Williams it didn't work out. Not saying it cant be done but its really hard.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Cary Williams might be a bad example, though. I remember Eagles fans consistently complaining about him and Bradley Fletcher being horrific during the 2014 season, which made it surprising when the Seahawks signed him. I don't think he's anything like say, AJ Bouye, who looks like a legit #1 CB and will get paid and likely excel wherever he goes.

Seeing as there are areas of higher need on which to spend money in FA, drafting a CB or two seems like a great idea. On defense, if we could draft a CB and LB, and an interior rusher, that would be great.

crosfam

Reaction score
Not having Shead around is a big loss IMHO. The guy played hard and held down the #2 slot for a few years, and is probably as good as most 2nd corners. He always seemed more like a Safety playing CB, but was probably headed to a big contract eventually with another team before getting hurt, so it is loss for him and us. I hope we can sign him and he is good to go 6-7 games (after IR) into next season when we need it.

I think we draft CB high, 1-2 round for sure - but that is no guarantee to be a better option than Shead. He could bring the wood and was a respected back-bencher for the LOB.

"Shead - A good all around player, can play both CB and Safety. Great size, speed, attitude, and energy on special teams. Always seemed more like a Strong Safety playing CB though. He held on to the job all year and played decent. I figured he would be the next overpaid 2nd Seahawks corner when he hit the market. Love to see him rebound and play for us next year, but probably after six weeks on the IL." one of my humble posts.