Carroll suggests Seahawks don't need to upgrade O-line

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.thescore.com/news/1209958

With more cap room than usual to work with in the 2017 offseason, the Seahawks were expected to make a long-overdue investment in their blockers, but their head coach has other plans.

"This group has a chance to be really solid as they grow," Carroll told 710 ESPN radio, according to ESPN's Sheil Kapadia.

Kapadia tweeted that everything Carroll said in the interview suggests that the Seahawks are relying on the current offensive linemen to improve and produce rather than making personnel changes.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/821053078849941504[/tweet]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hopefully a little off-season reflection will change that. Besides, they have to spend their draft picks on something, right?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
This is a huge mistake. It would seem we are banking once again on RW wheels to get us out of a jam .sooner or later it's gonna happen bam RWs lights turned out then what you gonna do.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Count me in the camp that thinks that line needs consistency more than anything else. They simply can't make wholesale changes again. Get some competition at tackle. Otherwise let these guys grow together.

Seymour

Reaction score
I wonder if Russell Wilson's doctor would agree with that statement?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Not a line expert but the comments from a few ex coaches suggested the O-line issues were coming when the D-line was moving pre snap which suggests its assignment issues and a lack of experience and playing time together which is probably what Pete feels is the case.
If the Seahawks have the opportunutiy to take Garret Bolles in the first round I would bet bottom dollar they pull the trigger though.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And Pete's not going to lay his cards on the table prior to free agency and the draft.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I can understand the growth with our two guards and center but the Tackles no. This is very disappointing news.

Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Mojambo":2zv3rex2 said:
Count me in the camp that thinks that line needs consistency more than anything else. They simply can't make wholesale changes again. Get some competition at tackle. Otherwise let these guys grow together.
+1. That and add some better depth both there and at RB.

sondevil89

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2hhyg9tf said:
I can understand the growth with our two guards and center but the Tackles no. This is very disappointing news.

Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

I started a whole thread that ALL we need is two competent offensive tackles. We need them NOW and hoping the ones we have now will improve is just too big of a gamble.

Pete is starting to sound like a politician who is using the spin machine to deflect criticism.

Either that or it's that "get off my lawn" stubborn crankiness that often signals the onset of old age.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
By the time this line gets it figured out, Wilson will be on IR. Thanks, Pete.

JimmyG

Reaction score
Who cares what Pete/John say at press conferences? They gain nothing by being honest and transparent. Of course he's going to be encouraging and try to build up the confidence of his players. He's not going to publicly throw his players under the bus, he's just being politically correct. It's silly to get worked up by what he says or to think it's indicative of their real plans.

Imagine your employer publicly saying you're not good enough. Think of how much drama and resentment that would breed.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Just listened to the Pete Carroll final press conference a second time - and to the OP, I REALLY do not think Pete said that.

He said that continuity is a major factor in the failed OL last two years. He said that if we went into next season with the same crew, he would expect major improvement, and the team would benefit with continuity, but prefaced this with saying we still had the draft and FA. He also said that spending money for the sake of spending money is not an instant solution.

I cannot find anywhere where he said we do not NEED an upgrade at OL.....seems like they clearly will work to put the best team on the field......but I do not expect any major and massive personnel changes.

Are people just looking for things to be upset about?

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I would be OK with sticking with the interior, as well as keeping fant on the team as a development/backup role. Gilliam and sowell are worthless and have a basement for a ceiling, see no reason to keep either. Glow, ifedi, odihambo, Britt etc can stay and compete. Doesn't mean because they started this year they start next, but give them a shot.

We REALLY need to be looking at the training strategy and ZBS approach. Being as hot and cold as they were says to me that defenses can exploit them fairly easily. If you actually watch slowmo tape, even of just the falcons game, you can see the misses come from ignoring free runners to only care about your zone. Fant had a couple like this, and it looked to me like he had been hounded for watching his zone and not a specific defender. Several times he goes straight forward with nothing there to leave a man to his left totally free. Mind boggling.

Anyway, if they don't change anything while the rest of the league evolves, we will continue our annula regression until we get back to being average at best. Just sad to see this level of talent wasted by stubbornness.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Vintage Pete, all is great, all is good nothing to see here....1st day of free agency, Oline, 1st day of the draft, Oline....

at which point we'll hear, we still believe our guys will be better this year but we added more competition

really where else is a need outside secondary and a possibly a space eater inside that can help the pass rush guys...everything else is just a bonus luxury add so nothing to get worked up about here.

Boycie

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":1xqmpngb said:
http://www.thescore.com/news/1209958

With more cap room than usual to work with in the 2017 offseason, the Seahawks were expected to make a long-overdue investment in their blockers, but their head coach has other plans.

"This group has a chance to be really solid as they grow," Carroll told 710 ESPN radio, according to ESPN's Sheil Kapadia.

Kapadia tweeted that everything Carroll said in the interview suggests that the Seahawks are relying on the current offensive linemen to improve and produce rather than making personnel changes.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/821053078849941504[/tweet]

I think this is misdirection from PC.

He isn't going to come out and say that we are going to go after every FA o lineman now is he.

If he did, he wouldn't have any bargaining power.

At least this is what I am hoping he is doing, because another year of this, and we will need to be looking for another franchise QB.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If you look at the FA market, the pickings are slim. And you can't really comment on players still under contract anyway - which all these pending FA's still are.

Much to make about nothing IMO.