Votes: 28 22.8%
  • Schneider

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 13.8%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
With the blame being thrown around this board amongst 4 Hawks personnel with regards to the offensive woes, who if you had to choose one is the most at fault? This was a tough one for me but I chose Pete because he ultimately is the one that at least in my mind is responsible for the outcomes. I think they are all to blame to some respect but if I had to choose just one its Pete.

With this said, still fire Bevell and Cable.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
It is on Pete. He absolutely refuses to acknowledge anything is wrong and that is an issue. The dialogue that Pete has been embarking on today is very disappointing.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The brain trust of Tom,Pete and Darrell

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I updated with another option:

Other

blue 22

Reaction score
I used to blame everything on bevell and cable....

its on pete now.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I'm saying Pete 'cuz it's his show, but for the situation to have played out like it has there is plenty of blame to share with all of the above. It's a big picture problem.

Guess it depends on what you consider the primary factors, and there have been a lot.

(Possibilities, in no particular order)
System too difficult for young guys?
Coaching deficiency?
Prospect/draft evaluation?
Not resigning Carpenter, Giaco, then Sweezy?
Trading Unger?
Whiffing on Moffit and Poole?
Extending the defense-core?
Resigning Baldwin and Kearse?
RW's contract?
Too many projects?
The Okung situation?
What happened to Lewis?
Worthless FA signings?
And many others I'm sure.

Edit- for some reason I read the title as Offensive Line issues. Maybe it's the same thing though.

Seymour

Reaction score
Kind of a trick question. Pete has control of those under him, and ultimately is responsible. But if it were me, I'd fire Cable, put Bevell on warning and layout where he needs to step up his game, and keep Pete at least another year. Pete earned at least 2 mulligans and has burned one. (from a Paul Allen perspective).

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I think this is a very flawed pole in there are several issues, and multiple causes. Maybe it should be "who from the below list should be replaced for the most positive impact".

Josea16

Reaction score
Seymour":35qnv0qq said:
Kind of a trick question. Pete has control of those under him, and ultimately is responsible. But if it were me, I'd fire Cable, put Bevell on warning and layout where he needs to step up his game, and keep Pete at least another year. Pete earned at least 2 mulligans and has burned one. (from a Paul Allen perspective).
I think you nailed it.

Josea16

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1q7ppmxa said:
I think this is a very flawed pole in there are several issues, and multiple causes. Maybe it should be "who from the below list should be replaced for the most positive impact".
For me that would be Cable. He's the one picking the players and running the system for the root issue of the team's issues. A horrible offensive line.

inda2o6

Reaction score
Well, i figure, bevell is the one refusing to adjust his play designs, he counts on Russell to improvise, thats not a good sign... Bevell doesnt kow how to use a former pro-bowl tight end. Richard Sherman can't stand him for costing the Seahawks another Super bowl ring. Pete holds players accountable, willing to cut them, but doesn't do the same for his coaches, that reflects bad on him. Maybe because there isn't a always compete culture with the coaches, no fear of ever getting fired. It "promotes continuity" , the players have to adjust, which is bull poop. The only reason seahawks lose coaches is if some team is smart enough to poach them. Obviously Bevell will never get poached. We are stuck until some team loses their mind and tries to hire him. We are stuck and this won't change anytime soon...

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
All of the above. One person does not control every aspect. Coaches work as a team as well.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Pete.

The problems we're having on offense aren't a result of Pete being clueless; they're a result of Pete doing things the way he wants. They're a byproduct of his system.

A phrase of theENGLISHSeahawk's back in 2010 struck me and stuck with me: "This is the Pete Carroll offense - this is the Pete Carroll show." Or something to that effect. And it's very true. He's a hands-on guy. This isn't like other teams where the HC just kinda has a philosophy for one side and lets his coordinator take care of the other side. Pete has a vision for everything.

That vision is basically "create the big play on offense, stop the big play on defense". If you aren't aware of that by now, you haven't been listening to his press conferences at all for seven years. He wants the big play. That's why he wants to run the ball. It's not about toughness or physicality; it's just code for play-action. Pete is a gigantic believer in the psychological side of football and knows that those 50-yard play action bombs to Doug Baldwin break defenses' backs. He waxed about the statistical value of it early in his tenure here and he's never backed off it.

Acknowledge this fully and our offense will come into focus. We'll throw deep on 3rd and 2. Seattle's receivers train heavily in the deep redline throw. Bevell's endless tunnel screens are meant to draw safeties in and open up the deep middle. He's drafted Lockett and Richardson. We can't seem to stick with the "get the ball out quickly" offense for more than a few drives before we go back to looking for the big play. It all fits. And it's a double-edged sword: At least 40% of Wilson's sacks, I'd say, are from him holding the ball looking for the deep shot. It wasn't a coincidence that we wound up with a QB who loves the deep opportunity. Wilson has some Romo in him.

Many of the problems we have on offense are from Pete trying too hard to demoralize defenses and not hard enough to just get to the first-down marker. We have, at times, seen how effective and consistent Wilson can be if he's allowed to get the ball out quickly and just keep doing it. That's how Ryan beat us two days ago. It forces defenses back on their heels. It kept Manning and Brady clean for decades, and when the time came for a deep throw, their offensive line had breathing room because linebackers were hanging back respecting slants and seams.

Scheme affects O-line as much as O-line affects scheme. Works the same way with the QB. Pete's scheme is playing a role. He won't swallow his pride and switch to something outside "his system", and it's going to get us both a lot of pressures on Wilson and a lot of big plays to Baldwin. In other words, a roller coaster.

Buckle up. It ain't changin'.

blue 22

Reaction score
What happened to that master class Pete was supposed to teach Russell in the off season last year?

RussB

Reaction score
Bevell ,Pete, and Cable all together.

They ran the offensive line into the ground by refusing to sign good linemen and letting go all the good ones they have go and replacing them with out of position players and basketball players that dont even play football. That is on the coaches. Pete is in charge of all of them though so he needs to be put on the hot seat now.

I hope shneider lets him know they cant ignore the issue anymore and need to be held responsible.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
QB is not the problem, receivers aren't either and the RBs we have are great when healthy. It's the O-line that is the problem.

I don't think it's on Cable for not making this line perform. Don't think it's on Bevell either for failing to make a gameplan around such a horrible O-line. It's on Pete for neglecting the line altogether.

I agree on not making the O-line a priority but being dead last in O-line spending by a huge amount is pushing it too far.