Haush $$$: Set for free agency

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/seahawks-steven-hauschka-set-for-free-agency/

Hauschka was mistake-free on Saturday, but with the Seahawks leaving Atlanta with a loss, the veteran is now set to hit free agency. He played the 2016 season under the last year of a three-year contract extension at a price tag of $2.7 million. Considering he led the league with seven missed PATs this season, don't be surprised if Seattle transitions to a younger and cheaper option at kicker.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
I'd like to see him back, but given last season was a bit of a disappointment, hopefully we can save a bit of money compared to what it would have cost us a year ago.

nash72

Reaction score
Let him walk and sign a young guy. Kickers are a dime a dozen and usually are within a few points of each other at the end of the season.

chris98251

Reaction score
nash72":3ob3lvlv said:
Let him walk and sign a young guy. Kickers are a dime a dozen and usually are within a few points of each other at the end of the season.

Yeah, I bet you were in the LS boat as well, you can pick up one anywhere and they don't have that much influence on the game.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":lq7ys74a said:
nash72":lq7ys74a said:

Yeah, I bet you were in the LS boat as well, you can pick up one anywhere and they don't have that much influence on the game.

I always thought it was too good to be true how good Haush was. Seems like we got a few perfect years and then things evened out. I still wouldn't doubt that even if he had had a good season this year, that this was his last contract with us regardless.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
nash72":2ter33eb said:

Thing is, it's not unreasonable to believe that we were one kick away from hosting the NFCCG and possibly facing off against the Patriots again this year. I feel like those of us who stressed the importance of the kicking game last offseason have been vindicated.

No other team wins and loses by as tight a margin as we do, and so our margin of error in the kicking game is smaller than any other team.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The thing I wonder about is how many of those misses are strictly on him and how much was caused by the LS woes. Even just the consistancy issue on the line and snapping could throw timing off and affect confidence for him. Not trying to make excuses but just wondering if he really regressed that much or just a bad year because of other circumstances.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":3240zg2a said:
The thing I wonder about is how many of those misses are strictly on him and how much was caused by the LS woes. Even just the consistancy issue on the line and snapping could throw timing off and affect confidence for him. Not trying to make excuses but just wondering if he really regressed that much or just a bad year because of other circumstances.

:ditto:

How much penetration did opposing teams get against all of our lines? I think a big part of his woes this year was trying to be quicker so he didn't get them blocked.

12thbrah

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3aewmfd0 said:
nash72":3aewmfd0 said:

Thing is, it's not unreasonable to believe that we were one kick away from hosting the NFCCG and possibly facing off against the Patriots again this year. I feel like those of us who stressed the importance of the kicking game last offseason have been vindicated.

No other team wins and loses by as tight a margin as we do, and so our margin of error in the kicking game is smaller than any other team.

He definitely lost us the Cardinals game in AZ. Make that and we host the Falcons at home and if we had beat them the NFCCG also.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
pmedic920":2rwt1sgc said:
We let a good long snapper go in an effort to save some money, I sure hope we don't make that mistake with our kicker.
I doubt Gresham was let go in order just "save some money"

Sign37now

Reaction score
12thbrah":28wsak3i said:
bigskydoc":28wsak3i said:
nash72":28wsak3i said:

He definitely lost us the Cardinals game in AZ. Make that and we host the Falcson at home and if we had beat them the NFCCG also.

We would not have beaten the Falcons at home so that point is moot.

classicaaron

Reaction score
let him go, he didn't earn his money this year. im so tired of the long snapper argument. the snaps for the far majority were fine. and most of the ones he missed the snaps were fine. sure some snaps werent 100% perfect but no longer snapper is perfect for the year. plus we got a new long snapper a few weeks ago and he still missed. if his kicking game is so predicated on having one long snapper his whole career to be able to kick that just means he isn't very good to begin with. every team in the league transitions long snappers and you don't hear about it.

also the interior line giving pressure had very little affect on his blocks. he just kicks the balls entirely too low. even on his makes it barely goes over the linemans hands. We could have worse and have Aguayo but Hauschka still isn't worth the money when other positions need much more of an upgrade.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3t0671om said:
pmedic920":3t0671om said:
We let a good long snapper go in an effort to save some money, I sure hope we don't make that mistake with our kicker.

Reports said it was to save money and get someone more athletic for kick coverage.

At the expense of what the Long Snapper is actually on the team for.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The size of his contract is important.

If he wants a big deal, then I'm happy to move on. I understand the argument for stability but he seems to have the yips and usually when a kicker starts to develop problems they worsen. There are lots of good young kickers who could be developed.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I would let him test FA and sign him to a smaller contract if the market is soft. However, I would make sure we have a decent LS...that decision cost us a Home game vs. ATL and I for one could see it coming from a mile away.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sign37now":12yx8s5p said:
We would not have beaten the Falcons at home so that point is moot.

Disagree. It would have been a much closer, and potentially winnable game if we hosted. This Seahawks team is undefeated at home in the playoffs. They are under 50% on the road. The variance seems to work out in our favor at home and against us on the road

There would have been an additional week to rest and prepare.

A healthy Reece may have been more effective and seen more playing time.

Atlanta would have been coming off a shootout with Detroit. Potentially more tired and more injured.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkFan72":o9t2wq2z said:
Hawkfan77":o9t2wq2z said:
pmedic920":o9t2wq2z said:

Reports said it was to save money and get someone more athletic for kick coverage.

At the expense of what the Long Snapper is actually on the team for.
They saved what? $200,000? Plus he was only 1 year into a newly signed 3 year extension. I don't buy trying to save a few bucks for one second.