How Important Was Dan Quinn to this Team

sondevil89

Reaction score
Seriously, watching Atlanta Saturday I was so impressed, they had a great game plan, they mixed their plays beautifully, and in spite of having less to work with, played inspired defense.

I realize that he only worked the defensive side but I wonder how much his overall input played into the culture here because nothing has been the same since he left.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Nothing? I'm with you on how well he's doing in Atlanta, but to say that nothing is the same since he left is a bit of hyperbole. I mean sure since he's gone it's impossible to be EXACTLY as it was, as he isn't here so that's different right there, but we've continued to have the number one scoring defense since he left, and likely would have again if ET hadn't gone down with his broken leg (Thanks Kam)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He was an outstanding coach. Instrumental in taking the defense to that next level.

I think Ken Norton is missed just as much. You didn't see these sideline arguments when Norton was roaming the sideline. He kept the guys in check.

I think Richard has a lot of potential to be a really good coach, but he's still very young and feeling his way around. If Gus Bradley wanted to come back and help Richard out, maybe that equates to a Quinn? Who knows.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ma8yn0g said:
I think Ken Norton is missed just as much. You didn't see these sideline arguments when Norton was roaming the sideline. He kept the guys in check. .

This.

We don't miss Quinn and Norton scheme wise, but it's MORE than evident that we miss their leadership on the defense. Both commanded respect and demanded the same from the players.

It's obvious that Richard and Pete are having a hard time now reigning in the personalities and dissension on the defensive side of the ball.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Quinn was the DC for 2 years. Both years the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl.

I know there are other factors, but it is hard to argue that he was not very important to this team, and specifically, the Defense.

OP
OP
sondevil89

sondevil89

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2x3rtzsw said:
Hasselbeck":2x3rtzsw said:
I think Ken Norton is missed just as much. You didn't see these sideline arguments when Norton was roaming the sideline. He kept the guys in check. .

This.

We don't miss Quinn and Norton scheme wise, but it's MORE than evident that we miss their leadership on the defense. Both commanded respect and demanded the same from the players.

It's obvious that Richard and Pete are having a hard time now reigning in the personalities and dissension on the defensive side of the ball.

Your point re: leadership is well taken and while the basic scheme remained the same, Quinn was a more aggressive DC with more press coverage and attacking defense.

T/O RATIO:

2013: +20
2014: +10
2015: +6
2016: +1

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
kidhawk":3rtg1zqv said:
Nothing? I'm with you on how well he's doing in Atlanta, but to say that nothing is the same since he left is a bit of hyperbole. I mean sure since he's gone it's impossible to be EXACTLY as it was, as he isn't here so that's different right there, but we've continued to have the number one scoring defense since he left, and likely would have again if ET hadn't gone down with his broken leg (Thanks Kam)

Maybe if the NFL would not only require knee pads to be worn, the pads should be required to cover the knees as well. If you watch any football players, including college, no one's knees are covered. Knee pads are not necessarily there to protect the self but more so to protect the other player. Hence Kam's bare knee wouldn't have cracked into ET's bare shin.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1ig06en0 said:

I know there are other factors, but it is hard to argue that he was not very important to this team, and specifically, the Defense.

Our offense (and specifically our Offensive Line) were way better those two years and it had nothing to do with the DC

kidhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":clw1mbw4 said:
kidhawk":clw1mbw4 said:

Maybe if the NFL would not only require knee pads to be worn, the pads should be required to cover the knees as well. If you watch any football players, including college, no one's knees are covered. Knee pads are not necessarily there to protect the self but more so to protect the other player. Hence Kam's bare knee wouldn't have cracked into ET's bare shin.

I get what you're saying and I don't REALLY blame Kam, I was just tossing in a little levity

sdog1981

Reaction score
It was the Dan Quinn brain drain that did the most damage. He took Chris Morgan the offensive line coach the Seahawks took from Washington that knew the ins and outs of blocking the zone read. Also, Morgan started as a line coach with the new CBA so he is very intune with coaching linemen with these limitations.

getnasty

Reaction score
It's Pete's defense. I like Quinn but I could have Coached the 2013 defense to a title and probably could have gave up 14 points in the 4th quarter to NE too. He was extremely fortunate to have players in there prime and not have to deal with injuries either. Not saying he's not better then Richard but I'm not saying hI'm as DC gets us a win against ATL either.

OP
OP
sondevil89

sondevil89

Reaction score
sdog1981":27noifx0 said:
It was the Dan Quinn brain drain that did the most damage. He took Chris Morgan the offensive line coach the Seahawks took from Washington that knew the ins and outs of blocking the zone read. Also, Morgan started as a line coach with the new CBA so he is very intune with coaching linemen with these limitations.

Interesting post, I wasn't aware of that. :2thumbs:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
kidhawk":f83qi6yd said:
seahawkfreak":f83qi6yd said:
kidhawk":f83qi6yd said:

I get what you're saying and I don't REALLY blame Kam, I was just tossing in a little levity

No I know. Didn't mean to sound like that. You just gave me an opportunity to lash out at something that has been irritating me.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
We miss half time adjustments. Say what you will about Gus, even he made some pretty awesome adjustments @halftime. It was his lack of aggressive playcalling that sucked. We destroyed ATL that first drive and DQ adjusted and shut us down. On the contrary, we took it with vaseline up the bung hole and could make any adjustments to save our lives with Richard.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jmm6mi4 said:
Hasselbeck":2jmm6mi4 said:

This.

I agree, excellent point on Norton.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1xmqm1ye said:
kidhawk":1xmqm1ye said:

Back in the dark ages when I played football I wore basketball knee pads under the knee pads in the pants. We played on brand new rock hard Astro turf. Call me a wimp. 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3aw59mqd said:
seahawkfreak":3aw59mqd said:
kidhawk":3aw59mqd said:

Back in the dark ages when I played football I wore basketball knee pads under the knee pads in the pants. We played on brand new rock hard Astro turf. Call me a wimp. 8)

Sounds like you were lobbying for playing time actually :)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kidhawk":2tvoopsm said:
HawkFan72":2tvoopsm said:

Our offense (and specifically our Offensive Line) were way better those two years and it had nothing to do with the DC

I don't know if you have ESPN Insider so I will post an excerpt, but Sando just posted an article today talking about the Seahawks the last few years. Their Offense has been just about as productive as the Super Bowl years:

The Super Bowl Seahawks scored 81 offensive touchdowns over two regular seasons. The Seattle offense has scored 80 touchdowns over the past two seasons, a wash.

Seattle's offense committed a league-low 29 turnovers during its Super Bowl seasons. The number was 33 over 2015 and 2016, which ranked fifth. No big change there.

Teams use explosive plays as another barometer. The Seahawks have not fallen off sharply in that regard, either. Their Super Bowl teams ranked fourth in total number of 12-yard-plus runs and 16-yard-plus passes (those are the cutoffs Seattle and some other teams use). The Seahawks have fallen just two spots to sixth in explosive plays over the past two seasons, producing 247 of them, down from 261. An increase in explosive pass plays has offset most of the decline in explosive rushes associated with Lynch's retirement and Russell Wilson's injuries.

The dropoff has been on Defense. They produce way fewer turnovers, allow more explosive plays, and player development on the Defensive side of the ball has been severely lacking. On Offense we have had some guys (like Rawls) step up and produce when they are called into action, but on the Defensive side we have not really seen any of the backups be good when they have had to step up (Dion Bailey last year, Terrell this year, for example). That could be a coaching issue too.

Since the Super Bowl, the part of the team that has gotten worse (from a production standpoint) is the Defense. Not the Offense. And that's since Quinn (and Norton) left.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
Quinn is a motivator. As I said last week I am not surprised at all the Seahawks D was so beast when he was here.

All you have to do is look at this...

[youtube]gqo_pFYWelQ[/youtube]

and compare it to this...

[youtube]qZTl-VlAg3Q[/youtube]

... To know that waiting to hire him was the right thing to do. I don't understand why teams get in a hurry to hire coaches after the season is over. Glad the Falcons waited on Quinn instead of hiring somebody like Rex Ryan.

I certainly didn't expect this quick of a turnaround after a 5-0 turned 8-8 last year. I'm a full believer in Quinn now however.