Should we keep Jeremy Lane?

getnasty

Reaction score
I think they'll keep him, especially with the injury to Shead and Lane's ability in play inside and out. If theres a corner spot to get better at its Sheads spot. I hope they draft someone early there and Shead is added depth once he gets back.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Shead should not come back anyway. Time to move on and sign or draft a number two guy. Lane is better in a 3 role.

Seymour

Reaction score
Lane was a disappointment this season for sure, but we have bigger fish to fry IMO. It would cost us $7.75M in dead cap space to can him next year, then we have to pay pretty big to replace him more than likely, No thanks.

sutz

Reaction score
IDK about his cap hit but I don't think you just can him if he's still under contract. Sure, we need upgrades, but without a sure replacement, I don't think you just cut him loose. At least bring him back to camp and let him fight for his job against whatever rookie or FA they bring in.

I don't think anybody expects him to be a starter, but he's been a serviceable backup.

OP
OP
seahawkfreak

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seymour":2cf96tox said:
Lane was a disappointment this season for sure, but we have bigger fish to fry IMO. It would cost us $7.75M in dead cap space to can him next year, then we have to pay pretty big to replace him more than likely, No thanks.

If he would have played well this year I would say keep him. He was average at best so it is hard to justify paying him this much. Id like to see if we can grab a legitimate number 2 corner in FA.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane did his best Cary Williams impression this year. It's not even that he was bad, it is that he was SO bad we were consistently getting burned by his garbage play.

He should be cut, but he won't be.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Do people just not understand how salary works in the NFL today? There is no benefit to cutting Jeremy Lane.

I'm sure they'll give him plenty of competition for his spot, but he'll be on the roster.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The cap hit alone cements Lane on this roster next year. Pair that with the Shead injury and yes, Lane will be kept.

djb28

Reaction score
I thought long and hard about this while scrolling to the bottom of the page.

NO

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Not yet.

the team has history of cutting players during the season. Webb and Williams.

so good draft + FA + PS squad promotion = preseason cut.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't see how we don't keep him. Right now he's valuable depth. Even if I'd prefer to not see him start- it could happen again.

How did he get 11mill guaranteed ?

Anyone on the phone with Cleveland yet?

drrew

Reaction score
$5.25m cap number next year, if cut, the dead money is $3.75m so it's not like they'd save much. Even if they weren't happy with his play, they're not getting a replacement for the $1.5m that would be opened up by cutting him.

After next season, the cap number is $7.25m with $2.5m in dead money if cut, that's when they really start thinking about moving on.

Kearse is in a similar situation. Cutting him only opens up $366k this offseason, but $5m after next offseason. He's not going anywhere until then.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Lane, Kearse, and Haushka...........buh, bye! Read into what Pete is actually saying, that Lane missed some opportunities with tackling. Pete preaches tackling and Lane misses tackles, lots of them! Cut our losses and find the next Sherman!

classicaaron

Reaction score
he should be gone but like others have said he will surely remain on the team because of cap implications

HawkGA

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":so0e8khz said:
Lane, Kearse, and Haushka...........buh, bye! Read into what Pete is actually saying, that Lane missed some opportunities with tackling. Pete preaches tackling and Lane misses tackles, lots of them! Cut our losses and find the next Sherman!

How about find the next Sherman and then cut your losses?

Lane may get cut during preseason next year (though I doubt it) but it won't happen unless or until there has been probably at least 2 players rise up and play better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even if we didn't have a big cap hit on Lane, we can't cut him without having a replacement at nickel............this is especially relevant considering the severity of Shead and Earl's injuries.

Do you really want to go into next season with Shead and Earl's status up in the air AND no Lane?

It's a moot point with Lane's cap hit so big in 2017, but even taking that out of this equation IMO we don't have a choice. John and Pete haven't done a good job of restocking the DB shelves for us to just cut Lane loose and absorb the cap hit with no viable replacements ready to shine.

Latest posts