Poll: Pete- A great motivator or A great coach? **from 2017*

Poll: Pete- A great motivator or A great coach?

• Great motivator

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Great coach

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Both

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
This was a tough one for me but I went with motivator. I think he's a good coach too (x's and O's wise) but IMO his best attribute is motivating players. Yes that's a big part of coaching too but his overall football decisions have at least in my mind come into question the last couple of years. Tough call.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I didn't answer. I'm going to hold my judgements at least another season. I feel like we are in the same position as we were last year at this time.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
This franchise is on the best run in it's entire existance. They've been to two superbowls, won one. The Seahawks have never been one and done in the playoffs under Pete. He's created quite possibly the best and most consistent defense in the history of the NFL. He's constructed such a culture of winning and spoiled this fanbase so badly that a 10-5-1 season with a playoff win is considered a down year that requires a major coaching shakeup. In short, he's both.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1jb83b5g said:
This franchise is on the best run in it's entire existance. They've been to two superbowls, won one. The Seahawks have never been one and done in the playoffs under Pete. He's created quite possibly the best and most consistent defense in the history of the NFL. He's constructed such a culture of winning and spoiled this fanbase so badly that a 10-5-1 season with a playoff win is considered a down year that requires a major coaching shakeup. In short, he's both.

We are concerned with the steady decline each year. You are right, I have enjoyed having a good team, and hope it continues as long as it can.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2v0fxczg said:
Trrrroy":2v0fxczg said:

We are concerned with the steady decline each year. You are right, I have enjoyed having a good team, and hope it continues as long as it can.

Steady decline from what? He took this team to the superbowl two years in a row. Of course this team has declined from that. That is an unsustainable level fo success for any coach. If you expected this team to be a number one seed making the superbowl every year of course you'll be disapointed. The NFL is constructed exactly so that doesn't happen. Look around, every team not named the Patriots is up and down. Look no further than the Bengals, Panthers, Vikings and Cards this year. The difference is Pete's down year was 10-5-1 and a playoff win while fielding the most injury riddled team in his tenure.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well I for one would have welcomed any tidbit toward improvement next season like "we have work to do" or something. But no, it's stand tall, defend the ways, and exaggerate issues on Sherm to cover for him and honestly tiring of the smoke blowin all's rosey line. Time is running out coach. I think next year is his 3rd and last mulligan, especially if Wilson goes down again because of crap line.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Making it to the second round of the playoffs with double digit wins are "mulligans?" Well according to that all the coaches in the playoffs right now other than quinn should have been fired, as all of their teams have given them more than three "mulligans."

Seymour

Reaction score
Trrrroy":5j7lp62b said:
Making it to the second round of the playoffs with double digit wins are "mulligans?"

SB49 blown call =1 this seasons shit show =2. He is the one that stated "this is the best group I've ever had to work with" at beginning of the year.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Injuries are the biggest factor on how far your team goes. Good teams that can keep more of their starters on the field have huge advantages in both play calling and togetherness.

This definitely was Pete's least talented team going into the playoffs. You could see this was a really tough year for our coaches. They worked their butts off but we weren't dominant at any position group on the field.
We still made it to the divisional round. That's good coaching and just plain guts from the whole organization.

Looking back honestly and the Atlanta game, I don't think we win this game at home either.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Seymour":1x5jz2fx said:
Trrrroy":1x5jz2fx said:
Making it to the second round of the playoffs with double digit wins are "mulligans?"

SB49 blown call =1 this seasons shit show =2. He is the one that stated "this is the best group I've ever had to work with" at beginning of the year.

Ok, I'll bite. Who do you replace him with if he has another mulligan? There are 30 other coaches with worse track records than him in the NFL right now. I don't think Bill Belichicks are as easy to find as many think.

nash72

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2w4qu1mg said:
Seymour":2w4qu1mg said:
Trrrroy":2w4qu1mg said:

Ok, I'll bite. Who do you replace him with if he has another mulligan? There are 30 other coaches with worse track records than him in the NFL right now. I don't think Bill Belichicks are as easy to find as many think.

Josh McDaniels would be my dream pick. Anyways, we have been in a steady decline. We were a team that went to the superbowl and was always a threat to go to the superbowl to being just a Wildcard team now that other teams beat to get to the superbowl and nobodys afraid of. When we get bounced in the 2nd or even 1st round next year, are you going to continue defending the path the team is taking, because it sure doesnt look like anythings going to change.

AVL

Reaction score
We had a lot of lucky breaks in the best years, just like everyone else. Single elimination tournaments, all we have in football, are crap shoots encouraging mental illness.

I'm keeping the floor to my expectations > 1 and done, not that there isn't a lot of room for improvement. I was definitely entertained less this year.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Isn't a great coach both a Coach and Motivator? He brought our Hawks from upper mid-pack to 10+wins a season over the last 5 years. That's not an easy task.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Seymour":2x5anxxx said:
Trrrroy":2x5anxxx said:

Calling for a coaches head because he has gotten you to 2 Super Bowls but lost 1..........within the last 4 years...

Do people really forget Jim Mora so quickly?

We have only been fully satisfied 1 time since 1976 with regards to the Seahawks.
You cannot win it every year, and one who is demanding such needs to bring themselves back to reality.

We have a very good team and a great coach. The record speaks for itself.

I will take a playoff run and win, over a 4-12 season any day.

The entitlement mentality will get you no where.

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
Seymour":2w0frow3 said:
Trrrroy":2w0frow3 said:

Don't you think injuries had a huge impact on this years "shit show"? From the first game, the hawks almost lost their starting QB. From there, the injuries kept on pilling up on both sides of the ball. Certainly, I had hoped for a better outcome in the playoffs, but realistically they got about as far as they could with the personnel available.

hawker84

Reaction score
He WAS a great motivator and coach, and got his players to believe in his philosophy in the beginning. When the times were good, they were world beaters and they'd follow him to the ends of the earth. But now because over the years he's coached so loosely and has let the players pretty much do and say whatever they want with very little consequences, he is now losing control of this team in the not so good times. Whatever inner problems there seems to be, has become extremely disruptive through out the locker room which Kam all but validated with his post game presser.

Way I see it:

* Gone is the physical smash mouth team that bowed down to no one.
* Gone is the team that strikes fear in anyone.
* Gone is the defense with the chip on the shoulder who kept you in every game.
* Gone is the QB who seemed to get better with every season. Injuries hampered him obviously, but has he reached
his peak, or just an off year, maybe because we had such a craptastick O line? Probable a bit of all three. But
time will tell on our young superstar.
* Seemingly gone is the comradery between players and coaching staff.
* Players are completely out of control and crossing lines that should never be crossed in sports
* The lack of discipline on both sides of the ball during games seemed to be at an all time high this season, and has
been a problem since Carroll got here. Fortunately our teams were good enough to overcome most of the penalties
but without that all world defense, it was a glaring problem this season.

Our players have lost faith in both coordinators, and maybe Pete as well for a reason. Sideline antics and post game comments have all but proven that. What the problem is exacly, I have no idea, but it has obviously disrupted this team all year...

I don't buy the whole, players got paid and are now content and no longer hungry excuse.

Bobby and Cliff had their best seasons
Bennett was still a force when healthy
Kam seemed to be back to pro bowl form
KJ balled out
Thomas started slow, but was coming on and looking like the old Earl before the injury
Sherman played great in my opinion especially now knowing he had a major injury
Baldwin and Graham both balled out this season
RW had a down year, which injuries and the O line played a big part, but that man gutted it out all season, with injuries that more than likely should have required surgery?

Do I think was Pete's a good coach and great motivator, absolutely. I also think his stubbornness and inability to evolve with the changing times is keeping him from being a great coach. I also think that is what hampering him from motivating his players now. So I say yes and no. 2011-2013 (except for SB call) YES - 2014 to present NO.

Am I calling for his head, nope. But he's going to start feeling some heat if they don't show some major improvement on the offensive side of the ball especially, and get's our defense back to at least playing consistent. JMO.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sparkchaser737":2av2j12g said:
Seymour":2av2j12g said:
Trrrroy":2av2j12g said:

Don't you think injuries had a huge impact on this years "shit show"? From the first game, the hawks almost lost their starting QB. From there, the injuries kept on pilling up on both sides of the ball. Certainly, I had hoped for a better outcome in the playoffs, but realistically they got about as far as they could with the personnel available.

We were missing our starting safety in the last game. Everyone else played? who are all these injuries you're talking about? Lockett? Hester and PRich filled his role beautifully. Who else were we missing?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sparkchaser737":3u20g1sa said:
Seymour":3u20g1sa said:
Trrrroy":3u20g1sa said:

Of course they did, that happens to every team. I'm talking mostly about the "gambled and lost" in Tom we trust, handling of the oline that got our QB and RB's destroyed. Our $$ is all wrapped up in superstars on D (signing Kearse , Lane, Sowell, Webb not helping), and now they are not performing up their own standard. Also, paying Graham $10M to often just block?? Just wow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of course he's both.

You don't become one of the greatest college and pro coaches of all time without being both an innovative coach and motivator.

My issue with Pete is he's stubborn to a fault, he's not willing to tweak his schemes and philosophies to continue to evolve and win. The last two years it's evident that the league has caught up to what we're doing, on both sides of the ball...........and we no longer can just overwhelm and push teams around because we have superior athletes.