Time to go DiPoto on the roster

Tical21

Reaction score
Time to get tough. Scare em. Shock em. A lot of folks in that locker room are feeling a little too comfortable with their mediocre play. DiPoto looked at our roster when he got here and said "if you've been here, and you haven't been performing to expectations, see ya later, I don't have time for it. Ackley, Miller, LoMo, Jesus, whoever was in CF, I'm looking at you. Taijuan, gonnna underperform? Next."

Rememeber when the Seahawks were like that? Now, they're all buddies, and they're all family, and you get to stay as long as you want if you're a nice guy and everybody likes you.

Gilliam. Time's up. Gone.
Willson. Still can't block or run routes, see ya.
Kearse, done. Owed money or not. Get out. We're not waiting anymore.
KPL? Going to squander your starting opportunities and still make boneheaded plays. Next.
Rubin. Gonna play pat-a-cake all year? Don't need it.
Lane. Gonna take a step back? See ya. Ain't got time for it.
Marsh. Gonna give you a full year of DE on 3rd down and you get two pressures. Go on. Get.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Yes!!! The only way to light a match under their butts. What Schneider and Carroll did year one with respect to transactions needs to be repeated.

hawker84

Reaction score
Tical21":1apty6l6 said:
Time to get tough. Scare em. Shock em. A lot of folks in that locker room are feeling a little too comfortable with their mediocre play. DiPoto looked at our roster when he got here and said "if you've been here, and you haven't been performing to expectations, see ya later, I don't have time for it. Ackley, Miller, LoMo, Jesus, whoever was in CF, I'm looking at you. Taijuan, gonnna underperform? Next."

Rememeber when the Seahawks were like that? Now, they're all buddies, and they're all family, and you get to stay as long as you want if you're a nice guy and everybody likes you.

KPL? Going to squander your starting opportunities and still make boneheaded plays. Next.
Marsh. Gonna give you a full year of DE on 3rd down and you get two pressures. Go on. Get.

HaHa, great post. Actually laughed out loud. Go on, Get.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get the roster churn after a disappointing year, especially for a team and coach that prides himself on competition at every spot.

But you can't jettison players like Lane and Kearse who have HUGE dead cap hits. Because salaries are slotted by position, so you can't get rid of Kearse because there will be no money to replace him.

As far as the others you listed? I think most of them are already gone, or be forced to go into their last year with no extension. They didn't earn it.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
We really do need to shake up the depth. Most of ours did not really develop the way we wanted them to. Need fresh blood on the underbelly.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I agree with all of those with the exception of Willson. He is good value for what we pay him and since Bevell cant integrate TE's into his offense no need to have to go shopping for another number 2 TE

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'd like to see them go Dipoto on the assistant coaching staff, lots of underperforming dead weight in that area.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3cjdzeul said:
We really do need to shake up the depth. Most of ours did not really develop the way we wanted them to. Need fresh blood on the underbelly.

But the depth is an indictment on our poor drafting and FA signings the last 2-3 years.

If we draft right, then guys like Marsh, KPL, Jefferson, Reed, Shead, Rawls, Gilliam, McCray, Morgan, Seisay, Terrell, Thorpe, etc. are now heavy contributors and challenging the stars of this team for their jobs.

THIS is the real problem, our hit rate in the draft has plummeted from it's amazing levels of 2010-2012 to missing on most each year now. Thus causing us to maybe hang onto guys like Lane, Kearse, etc when we should be moving on because the next man up is ready to rock.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Great post and I completely agree. The depth on this roster is pathetic in a lot of areas and there are far too many guys that have had enough time to reach their potential and have conclusively shown it's never gonna happen. KPL and Marsh lead this pack. And I agree about the guys underperforming on mid-level extensions. Not acceptable. Kearse and Lane. Get ruthless with this roster

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I don't know if this is more of a scheme thing, but KJ Wright has a tough time in pass coverage. Running backs and tight ends repeatedly find separation on him for big plays. I love KJ in enforcing the run or even when he snuffs out a screen while playing zone, but we need a backer who can take on pass coverage. I wonder if Dewey or even KPL could do that better?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't know about cutting guys, but drafting for competition, regardless of position, is needed.

We drafted best when we went BPA. When we drafted for need, we haven't done as well. But going after freakish athletes with attitudes that fit a niche in our system was how this team was built.

Then again, it wouldn't hurt to trade some guys as well. Especially guys that have gotten comfortable.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I thought Rubin played really well this year. Willson too. And the whole blocking narrative on Willson is old news. He was a plus blocking last year.

Marsh is a big enough contributor on ST that cutting him while he's making what he makes would be really stupid and shortsighted.

Largent80

Reaction score
Tical21":1prmnvjp said:

Good luck with that.

While YOU may be tired of all of those things your ideas are not even considered by the team, especially in the manner of tone you use.

People are not perfect, well except YOU maybe.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Mojambo":1c5pc436 said:
I thought Rubin played really well this year. Willson too. And the whole blocking narrative on Willson is old news. He was a plus blocking last year.

Marsh is a big enough contributor on ST that cutting him while he's making what he makes would be really stupid and shortsighted.
If Marsh wants to keep making himself look like a cartoon character with all that ink, I wish he'd pick Popeye and down a can of spinach before each defensive series.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If you would have told me that:

1. Wilson would suffer two separate significant injuries and a difficult third injury starting week one

and

2. Michael Bennett would need a procedure on an injured knee mid season

and

3. Earl Thomas would be IRed during our final month of the season

and

4. Thomas Rawls wouldn't start the season and would suffer another broken leg.

and

5. Tyler Lockett would be lost for the season late with a shattered leg

and then told me we would win the division and win 10 games. I think I would take that to the bank.

Sometimes, it's just not your year. And to lose effectiveness or availability on your three most important players for significant stretches of time is crippling. How many pro bowl talents did we lose for significant time?

This wasn't a season to throw the baby out with the bath water. It was just a tough year. If you're talking about adding depth -- that's exactly what we did last year. Depth type players take time to develop and we all should really expect to see a significant jump in quality after a second training camp.

Our team is littered with stars who didn't start playing like it until year two. I understand it's hard to envision what will be today. Especially through the lens of a tough year. But there is plenty of reason to be bullish on our prospects next year based on what we already have on this roster.

Last year, we added 9 offensive rookies. Many started. Depth rookies got experience too. And we had 3 other starters just in their 2nd year.

This is a great year to boost defensive depth and add potential starters. Last years' offensive infusion should begin to bear fruit.

I'm liking where we stand right now. And I'm especially liking how the draft seems tailored specifically for us to replenish and infuse talent where it's needed. There are starter quality guys that will be available to us throughout days one and two. We could see significant improvement on the defense where depth is replenished not by fresh rookies from the draft up, but by adding rookie starters at the top relegating current starters to depth.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fbwjm06 said:
Coug_Hawk08":3fbwjm06 said:

But the depth is an indictment on our poor drafting and FA signings the last 2-3 years.

If we draft right, then guys like Marsh, KPL, Jefferson, Reed, Shead, Rawls, Gilliam, McCray, Morgan, Seisay, Terrell, Thorpe, etc. are now heavy contributors and challenging the stars of this team for their jobs.

THIS is the real problem, our hit rate in the draft has plummeted from it's amazing levels of 2010-2012 to missing on most each year now. Thus causing us to maybe hang onto guys like Lane, Kearse, etc when we should be moving on because the next man up is ready to rock.

Exactly this

titan3131

Reaction score
Tical21":m6zy6zd6 said:

Kearse needs to be cut. His performance was so bad, little effort, minimal results. The cap hit doesnt matter. The message it would send would wake up some of these guys resting on their laurels.

KPL needs to be replaced, if he ever starts we are boned.

Marsh doesnt deserve to be in the nascar package - this is where a true 3T come in that can stay in and provide interior pressure with bennett clark avril moving in what ever position they want to rush from.

Lane is staying - underwhelming borderline terrible this year but he has a history of consistent good play since he has been here.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
There were rumors that Pete cut Deon Grant because Pete told everyone to switch seats in his first team meeting and Grant refused.

I agree a little shake-up can be a good thing.

ringless

Reaction score
One thing I find interesting is I think there is a little misconception about what each draft should result in. Realistically almost 50% of first round picks are busts! Let alone in the later rounds. How many star players are you expecting out of each draft? 2-3? That's just not going to happen on a regular basis. 1 star and 2 big contributors is actually a great draft and if it was guaranteed evey year you'd be smart to take it.

Even the best teams whiff on their drafts. I found an article and I'll try to remember to link it. But success rates with drafting even for "experts" is below 50% as a whole.

I'm not saying some of Seattle's drafts weren't bad. But expectations of the draft are typically always higher than reality for fans. Don't forget, most of the players players are playing against were once drafted as well, and had equally high expectations. :)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":cpyi6832 said:

Baseball doesn't have a salary cap and going scorched Earth on a routinely underachieving, middling franchise is much different than a team that has been one of the league's best since PC/JS got here.

I get it - we need new blood on the roster. That will happen. But cutting Lane, Kearse, etc isn't making the roster better.