What has been our most disappointing season ever? Is it 2016

What has been our most disappointing season in history?

Votes: 20 20.4%

Votes: 28 28.6%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 11 11.2%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 8 8.2%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

rjdriver

Reaction score
Please discuss, but read my preface.

PREFACE
I thought this might be interesting to discuss, plus I like threads that take me down memory lane. To preface, I know we made the playoffs and won our division. I know we won 10 games. This is NOT a thread about the worst Seahawk teams ever. This is a thread and poll about what team(s) in our history most disappointed you compared to preseason expectations. In other words, the season that just didn't pan out like you had hoped and bummed you out. Obviously we have emotional connections to certain teams for a myriad of reasons, so there is no right or wrong answer.

I obviously couldn't include every potential season in the poll, so please elaborate if you select other. I also understand that younger fans have less of a pool to draw from, but just put what you feel in your gut.

Once again to clarify, this is not about stats or records or division titles. It's about your emotional response to a team. I know someone will eventually flame me for placing some of our "good" teams on this poll, but my point is that the god teams are the ones that have the potential to disappoint.

LIKELY CANDIDATES
I personally selected 2016 with 1984 and 1986 being close seconds. I'll provide some brief history of some of the potential candidates.

2016- (10-5-1) Lost in Divisional Playoffs to Atlanta.
This is my most disappointing season. I was very exited about talk from Pete proclaiming that this was our most talented team ever. Wilson was a preseason favorite to win the MVP. We were a year removed from "the play" and were poised to have Jimmy Graham back and healthy as well as getting Rawls early in the season. No holdouts in camp and what seemed to be a favorable schedule. I honestly expected us to be in the Super Bowl. This team was frustratingly inconsistent and floundered offensively. Although they won a weak division, they top my list (which admittedly could be due to the heightened emotions of recency).

2014- (12-4) Lost Super Bowl to New England
Can one play make this your most disappointing season? What if this play effected the entire course of the franchise? We had some crazy highs (NFCCG) that make this season immune for me, but I get it if you feel otherwise.

2008- (4-12) No Playoffs
After four straight division championships and going 10-6 the previous year, we fell hard in Coach Holmgren's final year. I was looking forward to this year actually but it fell apart week one when we get eviscerated at Buffalo and Nate Burleson tore his knee up. We actually lost six in a row, including 4 at (née) Qwest. It was hard to see the Holmgren era end this way, and I consider it a very disappointing season.

2006- (9-7) Lost Divisional Playoffs to Chicago
Coming off a Super Bowl appearance, I was convinced we would be back. Then Hutch happened. That fiasco is enough to include this year on the list by itself. We lost to Rex Grossman (ugh) in the playoffs because we couldn't get one yard in Chicago. Thanks Timmy. I'm not saying we beat New Orleans the next week, but I liked our chances. This is the Romo botched snap year which was so awesome it may preclude it from contention, but it's up there for me.

2004- (9-7)
After coming off the infamous GB playoff game the year before (We want the ball and were going to score), I really thought this was the year we win a playoff game for the first time in a billion years. We finally exorcise our demons and pass the Rams for the division title only to lose at home to them in the playoffs on a dropped ball in the end zone. Man, I was deflated after that one.

1992- (2-14) No Playoffs
Does being the worst team in Seahawks history automatically qualify them for being the most disappointing? Not for me, but I understand if you do considering it was probably the most inept offense in NFL history.

1986- (10-6) No Playoffs.
This is the year that we caught absolute fire and won our last five games blowing the crap out of everyone that stood in our way including the Raiders and Broncos. We missed the playoffs by one game as the hottest team in the NFL. The homer in me knows we would have won it all had we qualified. It was very disappointing to say the least. This year is probably second on my list.

1984- (12-4) Lost Divisional Playoffs to Miami
This is a purely emotional inclusion for me. I was 12 and we had been listed as a favorite to win the Super Bowl by many (including Playboy). We were coming off playing in the AFCCG and had one of the leagues best young runners in Curt Warner. This was an awesome team I thought would win it all. Well, we lost Curt in the home opener (thanks turf) and ended up playing in one of the toughest divisions ever. We were 12-4 and didn't win the division. Digest this for a second:
DEN 13-3
SEA 12-4
OAK 11-5 (maybe it was LA, I forget)
KC 8-8
SD 7-9
How is that even possible? Every team in the division was either elite or pretty darn good. This was the first time of my life I really remember being disappointed with a season compared to my expectations going in.

OTHERS?
Please discuss

Largent80

Reaction score
2014 easily. 1 yard from back to back SB wins, it still haunts the players and fans.

I'm already over this year, and still not from XLIX.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I've been a fan since 1976.....so "I've seen it all". I agree with you that this year, we all had high expectations. They were dashed by mid year......crucified with the late year loss to AZ.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
2014 because I expected Harvin to take the offense to another level on top of the INT.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
1984 Thought that was the team. Krieg was playing great. Largent was still a major stud. Easley and the defense were balling out. Only bummer was the loss of Warner.

My second place vote would be 2006. Just thought we'd carry on the great ride that 2005 was and get right back to the SB. But alas it was not to be.

2014 and 2016 don't come even close. We made the SB in 2014 which is the second best thing you can do in the sport. If you can't live with second best, you have issues. 2016 I wasn't even expecting to win the division as I thought ARI had surpassed us and I was seriously worried about the OL. Turns out only one of those things was a concern.

raisethe3

Reaction score
2014- Could've been back to back Super Bowl champions. It is something that's not done in long time now.

Largent80

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2q6ebb0b said:
We made the SB in 2014 which is the second best thing you can do in the sport. If you can't live with second best, you have issues.

So, you need to include in the "you"....every single player and coach from that 2014 team per all of them.

"getting over it" works different for everyone.

mrt144

Reaction score
Since I started watching in 2003 and just containing to regular season -

I think 2006 was the most disappointing because of how far they'd gone the previous year and then closing out the season with 1 win and 3 losses, all of which were by less than a TD.

2016 was probably the most exasperating because it was like a rehash of the front half of the 2015 season in offensive ineptitude and then tack on gross injuries.

Every season under PCJS has been exciting its just that the bar on expectations has been raised a bit higher than previous ones and 2016 had similar issues as 2015 and then a few new ones like our defense being lost without ET.

Seymour

Reaction score
LOL....2014 and not even close!!

1...........friggen............yard = dynasty. :rumble:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
By far the biggest disappointment in 2016 was RW getting hurt in game 2. It let the air out of the big expectations many of us had for the season.

My second favorite season was probably 2012 as I started out climbing aboard the RW bandwagon, finishing the season completely bought in to the coming possibilities. And then 2013 as the favorite by far, obviously!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seymour":pptj0nb8 said:

How we experience "pain" and "disappointment" vary from individual to individual. The 2014 "pain" was intense for just a short time. The emotional pain endured for 2016 was over half the season! :(

hedgehawk

Reaction score
2014 still pops in my head from time to time. No other season does that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1aarntpu said:
Seymour":1aarntpu said:

How we experience "pain" and "disappointment" vary from individual to individual. The 2014 "pain" was intense for just a short time. The emotional pain endured for 2016 was over half the season! :(

Re-assess that in 10 years and tell me where you stand. :?

seahawksny

Reaction score
Im in the minority and ive said it 100 times.
2014 was NOT most disappointing because we won the previous year.

All other years when we finished short, we didnt have that SB to fall back on.

In fact, I dont even put in top 5

ZagHawk

Reaction score
100% without a shadow of a doubt, 2014. Miracles had to happen to get the Seahawks all the way back to the SB.

1) Arizona collapsing the second half of the season ensuring NFCW HFA
2) Packers collapsing in the NFCCG and on-side kick recovery
3) Kearse catch to bring Hawks back to the red zone prior to Marshawn run up to the 1.

Then ALL OF THAT negated 100% by that play.

We will never know what the Hawks could have become after two back to back SB wins. Maybe they become the first team in history to win three in a row? Maybe they come back this year and win still cementing dynasty.

Regardless 2014 destroyed the aura around our beloved Hawks, and sadly the only way to get it back is another SB win hopefully with whats left of the LOB. Too bad the outcomes of 2013 and 2014 weren't reversed, it'd definitely feel better..get to SB, lose...get back win dominately.

This season is a disappointment compared to preseason expectations, but as the writing was on the wall for how the end played out. Someone show that clip of Pete nodding his head after the reversed call from the challenge. That's pretty much how I felt watching the game seeing our Hawks get their butts handed to them. Not the Hawks year.

seahawksny

Reaction score
ZagHawk":353xy55h said:
100% without a shadow of a doubt, 2014. Miracles had to happen to get the Seahawks all the way back to the SB.

1) Arizona collapsing the second half of the season ensuring NFCW HFA
2) Packers collapsing in the NFCCG and on-side kick recovery
3) Kearse catch to bring Hawks back to the red zone prior to Marshawn run up to the 1.

Then ALL OF THAT negated 100% by that play.

We will never know what the Hawks could have become after two back to back SB wins. Maybe they become the first team in history to win three in a row? Maybe they come back this year and win still cementing dynasty.

Regardless 2014 destroyed the aura around our beloved Hawks, and sadly the only way to get it back is another SB win hopefully with whats left of the LOB. Too bad the outcomes of 2013 and 2014 weren't reversed, it'd definitely feel better..get to SB, lose...get back win dominately.

This season is a disappointment compared to preseason expectations, but as the writing was on the wall for how the end played out. Someone show that clip of Pete nodding his head after the reversed call from the challenge. That's pretty much how I felt watching the game seeing our Hawks get their butts handed to them. Not the Hawks year.

Brady threw for what? over 350 that game? Thats why they lost. Not because of one play. I know its hard to see it that way.
Being up 10 points at start of 4th and losing it was just as if not more fatal.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Yeah you guys are all nuts. It sucks losing a Superbowl and it sucks losing a divisional playoff. However, considering either as the most disappointing in franchise history is beyond ludicrous and severely underestimates just how hard it is to win it all. Even the best team only has 1 in 5 odds or worse each year during the preseason and our finishes in both 2014 and 2016 matched rational preseason expectations.

Now consider an actually disappointing year like 1993. Yes, we were coming off the worst year in franchise history but there was a ton of optimism. We still had the greatest defense in our franchise history up until that point, our young RB Chris Warren looked like he was going to become a star in the league, we signed a pro bowl center, and we had just landed a "franchise QB" with the #2 overall pick in the draft. We started off with two very close losses and three convincing wins, but then our season turned into a complete train wreck as we finished last in the AFC West. We once again had one of the worst offenses in the league despite Mirer looking OK, an enormous amount of criticism started to swell around Flores, our defense gave up a lot of points in the second half of the season and started to look older and injury plagued.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
1999 was pretty disappointing at the end. Was my first and only year I had season tickets. Last year of the Kingdome and a new HC. Started the season 8-2 only to finish the season 1-5. Last game at the Kingdome and we lost in our first playoff game since 1988.

seahawksny

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1gkmwpgj said:
1999 was pretty disappointing at the end. Was my first and only year I had season tickets. Last year of the Kingdome and a new HC. Started the season 8-2 only to finish the season 1-5. Last game at the Kingdome and we lost in our first playoff game since 1988.

I think it was marino's last season on a terrible miami team. If I'm not mistaken Miami went to Jacksonville a week later at Lost by 40 points or something ridiculous.
We were so disappointed because it was Cortez Kennedy's only shot at winning in the playoffs and we blew it