2017 Salary Cap Update (Cap Space: $18.78M)

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Hi all --

I'm sort of on the Aros plan these days ... really staying out of the day to day drama of the main board but I still value the community so I don't want to disappear completely. Also, until someone else really deals with salary cap issues I guess it's up to me.

A big question each off-season is HOW MUCH CAP SPACE DO WE HAVE and there isn't a simple answer. There are many factors that we don't know the answer to (for example, what is the league wide cap for 2017). There are also many adjustments that happen between now and the start of free agency.

My best guess is we're sitting at about $28M in available space for 2017. Bear in mind we have several 'restricted' free agents but it's hard to say what kind of tender offers they get. Gary Gilliam will probably get some kind of tender which will bring that figure down. Brock Coyle and Steven Terrell probably will be allowed to explore true free agency. Deshean Shead is definitely a victim of bad timing and won't get any tender.

If we start at $28M in available space, I would set aside about $2.2M for draft picks and another $5M or so for injuries so that really puts us at $20M in 'usable' space. When you start looking at the roster holes (DB, LB, OL) that money can disappear FAST. Also, the team will have to consider extending vets like Kam, Graham, Britt. Bottom line there isn't going to be any major FA adds.... also consider that we lose any true bidding war because a ton of teams have way more space than us.

When you think about the cap going into the off-season, try not to focus too much on available space, but do try to temper your expectations about how much of a player the team will be in free agency.

Of course, if the team wanted to really target a DUDE and manipulate other contract in order to make that happen, they could very well choose to do that, but that has not been something this regime has done in the past.

If you have cap questions, feel free to PM me or answer in this thread.
    Last edited by Hawkstorian on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
    * NET Staff *

Re: 2017 Salary Cap Update
Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:00 pm
  • The last two years there has been significant increases to projected salary cap. Really intrigued to see what happens this year. Wouldn't be surprised if another $5MM showed up
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:05 pm
  • Thank you Hawkstorian.

I'm terrible when it comes to cap stuff, so I'm going to ask a dumb question here if that's ok: Has Marshawn Lynch's contract officially come off the books, or is his contract still effecting the team's cap number in any way?
    Why Not Us?
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:06 pm
  • Not a dumb question at all. Marshawn is off the books as of 2017.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:28 pm
  • Thanks Hawkstorian!

It's amazing how little 28 million gets you these days. :lol:
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:28 pm
  • Wondering where the 28 mil number comes from. Is this assuming we resign some of our restricted free agents?
    If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – AE

Image Image
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:32 pm
  • Everything I am reading is 35-38 million free space.
    stang233
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:05 pm
  • We have about 25mil before they bump up the cap.

Bennetts ext might effect the number a bit.

Extending Graham could give us more space depending on how it's structured.
    Timmahawk
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:09 pm
  • A big difference this year is in the dead money that is disappearing. 2016 dead money was roughly 14 million, including 5 million to Lynch, 2.3 million to Williams, and 2.2 million to Webb. 2017 dead money is currently 828 thousand, with Webb occupying 600 of that. With all the roster churn this org does, we can expect that number to rise a bit. Maybe reach 2-3 million, but barring an epic FA failure (Harvin/Webb/Williams style), that number won't be huge.
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm
  • Wondering if you think Seattle might make a play for Martellus Bennett in FA and offer around 8.5 per year over 2 years. A year younger than Graham, a better blocker than Graham. They could cut Graham, and save 1.5 against the cap, or trade him for a 4th-5th round pick and still save the 1.5 of course that is if they came to terms with Bennett.
    ringless
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46 pm
  • Screw that, let's have Graham AND Bennett :)
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:40 pm
  • 20m should get us a rt and lt and get some more oline depth
    StaffAmerica74
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:01 pm
  • ringless wrote:Wondering if you think Seattle might make a play for Martellus Bennett in FA and offer around 8.5 per year over 2 years. A year younger than Graham, a better blocker than Graham. They could cut Graham, and save 1.5 against the cap, or trade him for a 4th-5th round pick and still save the 1.5 of course that is if they came to terms with Bennett.

Is Bennett a better blocker? If so, I'd say it would make a lot of sense for this current coaching staff. Of course e could extend Graham and structure it to save $1.5m if we want to keep seeing Wilson to Graham, it has been a reliable combo I'm not sure we can afford to lose.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    ringless wrote:Wondering if you think Seattle might make a play for Martellus Bennett in FA and offer around 8.5 per year over 2 years. A year younger than Graham, a better blocker than Graham. They could cut Graham, and save 1.5 against the cap, or trade him for a 4th-5th round pick and still save the 1.5 of course that is if they came to terms with Bennett.

Is Bennett a better blocker? If so, I'd say it would make a lot of sense for this current coaching staff. Of course e could extend Graham and structure it to save $1.5m if we want to keep seeing Wilson to Graham, it has been a reliable combo I'm not sure we can afford to lose.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Graham is the least of our problems. And if you wanted to let him leave after next year you are probably looking at a 3rd round comp anyway. I think an extension is much more likely.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:25 pm
  • If the Patriots win this year, I'm pretty sure Martellus will be chasing the money, knowing the Hawks they might actually pull the trigger, and then restructure Graham's contract as well. If so then they will probably let Luke Willson go.
    theincrediblesok
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm
  • theincrediblesok wrote:If the Patriots win this year, I'm pretty sure Martellus will be chasing the money, knowing the Hawks they might actually pull the trigger, and then restructure Graham's contract as well. If so then they will probably let Luke Willson go.

Be kind....I really like Luke Willson!
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:27 pm
  • ringless wrote:Wondering if you think Seattle might make a play for Martellus Bennett in FA and offer around 8.5 per year over 2 years. A year younger than Graham, a better blocker than Graham. They could cut Graham, and save 1.5 against the cap, or trade him for a 4th-5th round pick and still save the 1.5 of course that is if they came to terms with Bennett.

??? You cut a player who caught 65 passes 923 yds so you can save a paltry 1.5 mil?

Even worse, trade him for a 4th-5th round pick?

Insanity.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:01 am
  • seahawkfreak wrote:Wondering where the 28 mil number comes from. Is this assuming we resign some of our restricted free agents?

I don't assume that we're re-signing any in my calculation, so if they do tender Gilliam, that space will come down.
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:02 am
  • stang233 wrote:Everything I am reading is 35-38 million free space.

Not true. You read here that it's more like $28M.

OvertheCap.com is inflated right now because they only show 41 contracts for the Seahawks. Once they update their info that projection will come way down.
    Last edited by Hawkstorian on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 am
  • Timmahawk wrote:We have about 25mil before they bump up the cap.

Bennetts ext might effect the number a bit.

Extending Graham could give us more space depending on how it's structured.

I agree the cap seems to keep going up. My figures assume the cap will be $168M which seems to be the prevailing assumption these days.

As for the TE discussion, I don't pretend to know one player's true value over another, but i think it's fair to say the team will look to bring Jimmy's cap number down through some sort of contact extension. There aren't really any obvious veteran cuts looming, although there' an outside shot Jeremy Lane could get the ax shortly after the SB.
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:16 am
  • Thanks Hawkstorian. It is important to understand where the team is going into the draft. That may mean we rosterchurn for a few second/third rounders instead of jumping for a 50/50 first rounder.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:43 am
  • John, thanks for your post, you have always been the man as far as the cap. I agree with your observation that it is unlikely the Seahawks will be big players in FA and several faces we know of may leave in FA.

I'm curious where you see the difference between the OTC.com estimated available number of $32,879,707 and the $28 million number you advise of above?
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 am
  • bigskydoc wrote:A big difference this year is in the dead money that is disappearing. 2016 dead money was roughly 14 million, including 5 million to Lynch, 2.3 million to Williams, and 2.2 million to Webb. 2017 dead money is currently 828 thousand, with Webb occupying 600 of that. With all the roster churn this org does, we can expect that number to rise a bit. Maybe reach 2-3 million, but barring an epic FA failure (Harvin/Webb/Williams style), that number won't be huge.

There will be about $4.5 million in dead cap to Kearse as well........ :stirthepot:

(I know he won't be cut next year due to the minor difference between deadcap and salary)
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:59 am
  • mikeak wrote:The last two years there has been significant increases to projected salary cap. Really intrigued to see what happens this year. Wouldn't be surprised if another $5MM showed up

TV ratings down means tv revenues are likely down as well. Haven't the recent cap increases been tied to that?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:37 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:John, thanks for your post, you have always been the man as far as the cap. I agree with your observation that it is unlikely the Seahawks will be big players in FA and several faces we know of may leave in FA.

I'm curious where you see the difference between the OTC.com estimated available number of $32,879,707 and the $28 million number you advise of above?

I believe he answered that in his last post.

"Not true. You read here that it's more like $28M.

OvertheCap.com is inflated right now because they only show 41 contracts for the Seahawks. Once they update their info that projection will come way down."
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:45 pm
  • Thanks Ivotuk, missed that explanation.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 pm
  • Hawkstorian wrote:
    stang233 wrote:Everything I am reading is 35-38 million free space.

Not true. You read here that it's more like $28M.

OvertheCap.com is inflated right now because they only show 41 contracts for the Seahawks. Once they update their info that projection will come way down.

Good Call -

With 41 guys listed, we currently will be $25mil under the 2016 cap number.

Assuming we add 10 guys at $500k to get to 51 guys, we will have $20mil available by my count. Then you have to add in the extra cost of the draft class which will eat away about 2 mil, so lets call it $18mil available. The RFA's are a question mark, but we could let them walk, so I'm going to forget about them for now and figure out the final number we will have before we start discussing who we will tender. We also don't know the impact of Bennett's extension, so lets leave that out for now.

So once you account for a full roster of 51 players (your top 51 guys are what is used to for the cap), and assuming a new cap of $168mil, I'm coming up with $31mil available give or take.

Remember, this number includes the rookies, but doesn't include the add't cost to tender a player.

All the tender will do in this case is add the difference between their new salary and the hypothetical $500k that I'm using for the baseline for the last 10 added, ex: If we tender Gilliam for 2mil, this tender will add 1.5mil to our cap and leave us with $29.5mil available.

Does 31 mil give us enough to play a bit with? perhaps, but going by past history, this team is one to pay its own guys and not dabble too much with chasing the guys wanting big money.
    Timmahawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:37 pm
  • By my calculation the team presently has 29 FAs (UFA,RFA, ERFA players) and 52 players under contract for 2017.

These numbers 52 although not 42 as described in OTC.com still include a large number of Reserve Futures Contract signings. I still wonder about the difference between Hawkstorian's starting number of $28 million and the $32.8 million number as indicated by OTC. The 10 players cannot count for $4.8million as they will all be contracts at the low end of the scale, can they? I do however understand the team will likely try to re-up players like Reece or possibly Damontre Moore and maybe Tony McDaniel and therein could be the difference but these are not calculated in Johns numbers.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 pm
  • 2 million for draft picks? Are you planning to only sign ~3 of your picks?
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:34 am
  • QuickLightning wrote:2 million for draft picks? Are you planning to only sign ~3 of your picks?

The sum total of the salaries doesn't count against the cap, it's the effective cap cost. Last year our rookie effective cap cost was approx 2.2 mil out of a total rookie pool of 6.2 million.

Here's a link to how it works: http://overthecap.com/rookie-contracts-nfl-draft/
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:12 am
  • When figuring out available cap the only addition I'd make (the excellent calculations being done in here) is that you want to shave off about another two million or so, as every team goes into the season with at least a little room left for maneuvering.

As for why this cap room is coming from and the Seahawks salary cap strategy, that's a tougher story.

Basically, this *surprise* cap room in the Hawks strategy is the money that was supposed to go to re-signing guys from the 2013 draft class and extending guys from the 2014 draft class (who are now eligible to be extended).

It's room the Hawks weren't expecting to have because they weren't expecting to not have anyone from those two draft classes who are worth meaningful second contracts. So, for fans of the Hawks it's a nice surprise because the team is still good and they can now play around in FA a little bit, but from the perspective of the front office, having room now is actually not that great (given what that money was supposed to go to).

Edit: Worth saying that the 9ers are an even more extreme example of this, and why having a ton of cap room is usually a signal of a *problem* for a front office rather than something to be excited about. The 9ers have more cap room than they know what to do with due to 1) unexpected losses of high-priced players (Willis, Aldon, soon Kap) and drafting like absolute dog crap and not having any homegrown talent to give that money to.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:37 am
  • We don't have a huge amount of cap space, but we do have some nice cap flexibility, should we need it. We haven't mortgaged the future like some teams. We also have a good free agency distribution of our big stars, with some flexibility to part ways.

2018 Graham, Chancellor, Richardson, Britt
    2019 Thomas, Sherman, Avril, Kearse, Lockett, Rubin
    2020 Wilson, Wagner,. Ryan, Lane, Reed, Prosise
    2021 Bennett, Baldwin

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we carry over a significant amount of our free cap space this year and next, in order to have it available in 2019.

Seahawks are in a developmental model now. I expect we will be drafting to develop players who will take the field in 1-2 years so we can replace more expensive players, more like a typical college team. I'm convinced that this is what they are trying to establish with the offensive line with drafted and UDFA players being prepared for 1-2 years before playing, and keeping no more than one second contract on the line.
    Fire Thom Cable
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:13 am
  • Timmahawk wrote:

We also don't know the impact of Bennett's extension, so lets leave that out for now.

Bennett's new contract extension is already accounted for at overthecap.com.

Link to Seattle's 2017 list of contracted players

Click on his name and you'll see his numbers through 2020.
    Superbowl XLVIII Champions..."Can't keep everyone."
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:37 am
  • onanygivensunday wrote:
    Timmahawk wrote:

We also don't know the impact of Bennett's extension, so lets leave that out for now.

Bennett's new contract extension is already accounted for at overthecap.com.

Link to Seattle's 2017 list of contracted players

Click on his name and you'll see his numbers through 2020.

Thank you - I was on Spotrac and they don't have it yet, I cant stand the format of OTC on my phone as there are too many ads and I can never get it to load properly.
    Timmahawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:01 am
  • sondevil89 wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:2 million for draft picks? Are you planning to only sign ~3 of your picks?

The sum total of the salaries doesn't count against the cap, it's the effective cap cost. Last year our rookie effective cap cost was approx 2.2 mil out of a total rookie pool of 6.2 million.

Here's a link to how it works: http://overthecap.com/rookie-contracts-nfl-draft/

Correct - we will be replacing someone at the league minimum of 465k, with a slightly higher rookie contract. Thus the cap hit will only go up by about 2.18mil by my count.

Based on OTC's current numbers, and assuming we don't lose our 2nd round pick, we should have about 26.5mil available after draft picks are accounted for, but before we tender any RFA's and offer extensions to JG, Kam and Britt.

Kam and JG extensions can save us cap space this year, a Britt extension will surely cost more.

We should have room to go after 1 big name guy, or spread it out to 2-3 guys like we have in the past.
    Timmahawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:53 pm
  • sondevil89 wrote:
    QuickLightning wrote:2 million for draft picks? Are you planning to only sign ~3 of your picks?

Ugh... Please don't spread this misinformation. That's only before the season starts... The rule of top 51 goes away after the last preseason game. EVERY dime paid to the players hits the cap and you must be under the cap after that.

Here's what the Seahawks' rookie class actually costed in cap dollars:

Germain Ifedi
    $1,502,746

Jarran Reed
    $889,025

C.J. Prosise
    $623,116

Nick Vannett
    $614,220

Rees Odhiambo
    $611,355

Alex Collins
    $496,096

Joey Hunt
    $475,089

Or.... Over $5.2 million. Plus some dead money for the 3 other guys who were signed and didn't make the team.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:58 pm
  • Timmahawk wrote:We should have room to go after 1 big name guy, or spread it out to 2-3 guys like we have in the past.

Just give me two decent offensive tackles and 80% of the Seahawks' problems are covered. Need immediate help before our core players are past their prime. This is such a no-brainer but I'm worried FO doesn't get it.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:17 pm
  • QuickLightning wrote:Ugh... Please don't spread this misinformation. That's only before the season starts... The rule of top 51 goes away after the last preseason game. EVERY dime paid to the players hits the cap and you must be under the cap after that.

This is true, but we're talking now about the top-51 deals so the immediate cap impact is more like $2M.

After final cuts, teams have to adjust their cap to take into account all deals, and USUALLY their cap utilization goes up, but not always. Sometimes higher cost veterans get cut and the overall cap use goes down. It can work both ways.

So spare us your Ugh.
    * NET Staff *

Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:13 pm
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:
    theincrediblesok wrote:If the Patriots win this year, I'm pretty sure Martellus will be chasing the money, knowing the Hawks they might actually pull the trigger, and then restructure Graham's contract as well. If so then they will probably let Luke Willson go.

Be kind....I really like Luke Willson!

In second thought, I bet you we can still have Luke Willson, Martellus Bennett, and Graham getting his contract restructured. Even some contract extension to some folks, the rest of the group we will have to get from the draft.

Can you imagine a 3 TE set, who's blocking and who's actual going to get the ball....at least I hope Bevell would be able to use them that way.
    theincrediblesok
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:03 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:By my calculation the team presently has 29 FAs (UFA,RFA, ERFA players) and 52 players under contract for 2017.

These numbers 52 although not 42 as described in OTC.com still include a large number of Reserve Futures Contract signings. I still wonder about the difference between Hawkstorian's starting number of $28 million and the $32.8 million number as indicated by OTC. The 10 players cannot count for $4.8million as they will all be contracts at the low end of the scale, can they? I do however understand the team will likely try to re-up players like Reece or possibly Damontre Moore and maybe Tony McDaniel and therein could be the difference but these are not calculated in Johns numbers.

Rookie minimum for this year ('16) is $450K, so 10 rookies would be $4.5M....and I believe at least a few of the futures will be for players with a few years in. I see no problem at all with that representing at least $4.8M
    BadgerVid
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:39 pm
  • OTC is sitting at $27.8M after getting practice squad and street free agent deals entered, for those who were comparing my calculation to theirs.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:01 pm
  • I think we should be able to make two very solid free agent signings (starters), along with some competition.

There are more than a couple of a) offensive guards, and b) SAM linebackers who can rush the passer that are currently slated to be UFAs. If we can grab one of each I'd be happy.

Everyone wants OTs but there just aren't many. A solid vet on the OL next to Britt would go a long way to solidifying our line. Glow can compete at RG and back up both spots.

We could use a playmaker at OLB who can help as an edge rusher should we have injuries there.

In the draft, I'd like to see an edge rusher and a DB with the first two picks - that's where the talent is. After bolster both lines and look for potential playmakers at WR and RB.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:48 pm
  • Sign whitworth and remmers. Then draft some DB's.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:37 am
  • Useful site for some of the numbers. Can't say I've validated all of them, but I checked against another site and they seemed close. It also offers the ability to filter by Def or Off cap spend.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

Def: 79,002,591......................rank: 5 (ranked ahead: Jets, Miami, Denver, KC)
    Off: 60,939,223........................rank: 24 (Top 4 are Dallas, KC, LA, Pitt | Dallas at almost 121 million....wow)
    Dead: 827,917........................rank: 20
    Adjustments(?): 2,065,865....rank: 26
    Total: 142,369,731..................rank: 16
    Cap Space: 27,696,134........rank: 21 (Dallas almost 18 million over)
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:OTC is sitting at $27.8M after getting practice squad and street free agent deals entered, for those who were comparing my calculation to theirs.

So what you are saying is that your initial estimate was wrong? :stirthepot:

:D
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:16 am
  • Rumor is that the final cap number will come in at 170 M (Spotrac is using 168 M) so that's an extra $ 2 M for every team.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Starter

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:25 am
  • lobohawk wrote:Useful site for some of the numbers. Can't say I've validated all of them, but I checked against another site and they seemed close. It also offers the ability to filter by Def or Off cap spend.

Def: 79,002,591......................rank: 5 (ranked ahead: Jets, Miami, Denver, KC)
    Off: 60,939,223........................rank: 24 (Top 4 are Dallas, KC, LA, Pitt | Dallas at almost 121 million....wow)

So does that mean Dallas has to shed $18 million by the start of the season?
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:41 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:
    lobohawk wrote:Useful site for some of the numbers. Can't say I've validated all of them, but I checked against another site and they seemed close. It also offers the ability to filter by Def or Off cap spend.

So does that mean Dallas has to shed $18 million by the start of the season?

Here's Romo's impact, so answer may be in there.
    $14,000,000 Base salary
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am
  • I've been fine-tuning my spreadsheets and here's what I see right now.

Let's assume the leaguewide cap sits at $168M. That may go up a bit, but it's the best figure we have now.

After signing Blair Walsh, the Seahawks sit with just about exactly $27M in cap space. $2.3M or so goes to draft picks and we know they have to leave about $5M buffer at the end of camp, so that leaves 'usable' space at about $19.7M. With that they have to decide if they're going to tender any of the RFAs (Gilliam, etc.) which would bring the cap down.

I can seen room to go out and spend $10M or so on outside players, which isn't really a lot considering many teams will have far more than that to spend.

I'll try to do another update after free agency starts when we have more solid information. Feel free to shoot me questions and I'll do my best to answer. Keep in mind I suck at 'speculating' so if you ask me how much a certain player might cost the answer will be "I have no idea".
    * NET Staff *

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 am
  • Thanks for boiling it down for us Hawkstorian :)
    It doesn't look like we'll be in the market for any $8 million/per tackles.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information