CB

Largent80

Reaction score
Right now, we are in deeeeeep doo-doo at CB.

Lane is the only guy with any experience to speak of unless to include the signing of Cox, which is a giant yawn IMO.

Something needs to be done here obviously as Shead won't probably be available until game 6 if then.

I'm sure were targeting some draft choices and F.A. but, what a headache to try and figure out the salaries. I just don't see us in the position to pay for a FA.

Ideas?

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":18p6md76 said:
The year of drafting 4 CB's and seeing who survives again.

And ignore Oline, Dline depth, and the fact we have 4 RB's with only one of which is usually healthy at a time?

Doubt we have that luxury to throw away picks just to cover the potential bust issue.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I started a thread in the draft board, but this is the year I think we should go with CB in the 1st round.

There are about 6 guys with legitimate 1st round grades and it's more than likely 1 to 2 of them fall to us. Drafting a guy in the 1st round gives us 5 years of team control, and at that point we can see where Sherm is at.

They can still draft their guy in the 4th round that they typically like to do, but we need a top flight guy in the 1st. It also gives us flexibility with Shead. He's big enough, he might be able to slide over and back up Chancellor.

We're not just hurting at CB though. This draft is loaded with elite safeties. Maybe it's time to pick Chancellor's successor or a legit guy to back Thomas up (although I think it's premature with Earl).

edit: I forgot we also just signed Perrish Cox. He's a solid, if unspectacular, veteran signing.

Rat

Reaction score
Stephon Gilmore would be an awesome addition; might be difficult to pull off capwise though. I'm also curious what kind of contract A.J. Bouye will command.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":uxm0qubz said:
chris98251":uxm0qubz said:
The year of drafting 4 CB's and seeing who survives again.

And ignore Oline, Dline depth, and the fact we have 4 RB's with only one of which is usually healthy at a time?

Doubt we have that luxury to throw away picks just to cover the potential bust issue.

O Line we have bodies they think have high potential, don't get your hopes up, Healthy RB's they will look at the 4 they have and think it's a fluke and probably not go after one till late or go UDFA, D line depth I think is where we will make something happen, we do every year. But we have Reed and the guy that was hurt last year Jefferson I think, so they may just waiver wire or FA pick up a big stuffer again. Pete loves his Safeties and CB's.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind going Defense as long as we spend a few dollars on FA OL.

The UW standout CB should be available when we draft.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Do Elliott, Thorpe, Seisay, Pierre-Baptiste or Desir provide any encouragement for becoming a decent starter?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":lxve0ser said:
Do Elliott, Thorpe, Seisay, Pierre-Baptiste or Desir provide any encouragement for becoming a decent starter?

Do you like your toast al dente or burnt?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1no71wri said:
Siouxhawk":1no71wri said:

Do you like your toast al dente or burnt?
Every one of them?

cymatica

Reaction score
Convert Kearse to cb. He play great against our offense this year

rjdriver

Reaction score
No worries. We will just use our second rou.....

Crap.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's tempting to see the draft as a fix-it but there aren't too many spots where I see a place for a significant 2017 impact. That usually occurs at the skill positions where we are actually looking pretty solid.

For example, I'm sure a lot of us would like to see them pick up King as a bigger press corner who excels against the run. However, it takes time to learn the Hawks system and guys like Seisay, Elliott, Thorpe, and Pierre-Baptiste would probably still have the edge for playing time given they'd have anywhere from 5-9 times as long in the system as King would by September.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Funny y'all mentioning Seisay and Baptiste. We never seen them in regular season action, not a single snap. Lol, what's the point of keeping them? Yeah, we should draft more corners pending Shead free agency. I am not confident in Lane stepping in.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I bet Shead is ready game one. ACL recoveries aren't what they used to be.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm not impressed with what we have at CB,I think they need to sign a bunch of UDFA and draft 1-2 to find us a couple good ones..Same at safety and maybe the next Brandon Browner can be found

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1nu2udcz said:
I'm not impressed with what we have at CB,I think they need to sign a bunch of UDFA and draft 1-2 to find us a couple good ones..Same at safety and maybe the next Brandon Browner can be found

Yeah.

But then that takes us back to the UDFAs already on the roster who should be "developing", but we lack any evidence that is actually happening. Most of those guys in the pipeline would seem to have advantages over new UDFAs.

Who knows? It does seem like somewhat of a desperate situation with injuries, lack of apparent on-roster depth, Lane a ?, and the Cox signing.

I can see drafting 1-2, continuing to scour for UDFAs, and maybe more vet signings. Big question for me is why haven't more of the guys we have "developed" already?

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
^^^^ Developing a player is a crap shoot. Look how long it took Shead to crack this lineup, and he did it mostly because of Maxwell leaving and injuries.

If you are drafting DB to stash on the practice squad, then I would say a change in philosophy is needed.

The biggest problem for us is that our o-line is obviously worst in the league, and F.A. is NOT the route we can take to address our immediate problems with DB and OL.

People are starting threads about a G.M. change....Sheesh, what a tough job that is.