So... Maybe it was just the Falcons?

crosfam

Reaction score
With all the reflection - maybe we just caught the Falcons when they were at home, and sizzling hot? Are the Packers fans beating up their team and calling for radical change?

Sure, we had an opportunity to secure home field, but we just missed it. It seems like it simply may be their year. A few less injuries and a bit of luck and it could have been us. I figure the Falcons can win it all. And then go 9-7 next year.

Go Hawks in 2017. I predict 12-4 and home field.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
No doubt about it, we got a talented team rested in their yard, it was tough sledding but calls for change were going on before that loss. The way we lost it and the complete and thorough beatdown just solidified the thought for many who were already leaning that way. Also can't compare us to the pack, given how they started the season and the major turnaround the fans were probably happy with the staff and team, just disappointed to not being able to continue going forward but they can see reason for optimism. Our team ended the season on some down notes that left a bad overall taste for many.

Optimus25

Reaction score
This year and last year both, we had to go on the road and face the hottest teams in the league.

HFA all comes down to getting back to dominating these turds in our division. We need to sweep the rams. We need to split the cards minimum. Not even mentioning the nfc browns. That there would be 5 wins alone. Exact formula new England benefits from every year. Playing down to the rams has quite possibly been the nail in our coffin the past two years.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Also, it looks like Dom Capers owns Bevell. The Falcons just carved Capers defense. It will be interesting to see what Shannahan can do aginst the Pats.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2rf730l6 said:
Also, it looks like Dom Capers owns Bevell. The Falcons just carved Capers defense. It will be interesting to see what Shannahan can do aginst the Pats.

In fairness the Falcons carved many defenses this year.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Falcons offense is great but GB was absolutely decimated by injuries. They lost six players during this game alone and were playing a second year UDFA CB in man coverage against Julio. Lost 3/5 OL players, which led to Rodgers facing way more pressure than usual .... and they still looked far superior to the Hawks OL. Jordy and Davante Adams were playing hurt as well. Add the poor turnover luck, dropped passes, and you have almost no chance and certainly zero margin for error to even have a shot.

There just aren't/weren't any truly dominant defenses in this year's playoffs. The Giants got waxed @ Lambeau and the Seahawks got dismantled in ATL. Even if Denver made it, they probably would've got wrecked by NE. Houston had the best defense left, but Osweiler was so terrible it didn't matter.

BTW I've been reading around and GB fans are absolutely calling for Capers' head, as well as McCarthy's and Ted Thompson's.

Josea16

Reaction score
crosfam":26bn7lbh said:
With all the reflection - maybe we just caught the Falcons when they were at home, and sizzling hot? Are the Packers fans beating up their team and calling for radical change?

Sure, we had an opportunity to secure home field, but we just missed it. It seems like it simply may be their year. A few less injuries and a bit of luck and it could have been us. I figure the Falcons can win it all. And then go 9-7 next year.

Go Hawks in 2017. I predict 12-4 and home field.
Not with the OL they fielded it was ridiculous to expect success with 5 guys in different positions, 2 rookies and a LT that never played the position at any level. Though it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they go 9-7 next year because Carolina will be absolutely loaded just because of their draft position alone. They will get some good players no matter what. What happened to them this year is what almost always happens to the Superbowl loser. The Superbowl Curse is like death and taxes it is just a reality.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3a8htnlv said:
sdog1981":3a8htnlv said:

Also in fairness, many DCs own Bevell.

cover-2

Reaction score
I have been pulling for the Falcons since we lost to them. The Falcons win the Super Bowl and at least we have a built in excuse to losing in the playoffs..."we lost to the best team in the NFL".

And I kind of really dislike Aaron Rodger's Packers, along with the Steelers "Big Ben". Now hopefully Tom Brady's Patriots will get slaughtered by the Falcons! :2thumbs:

adeltaY

Reaction score
Josea16":3fawycxs said:
Not with the OL they fielded it was ridiculous to expect success with 5 guys in different positions, 2 rookies and a LT that never played the position at any level. Though it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they go 9-7 next year because Carolina will be absolutely loaded just because of their draft position alone. They will get some good players no matter what. What happened to them this year is what almost always happens to the Superbowl loser. The Superbowl Curse is like death and taxes it is just a reality.

Well it's an odd year, so Carolina will do well. It's the even years when they can't muster a winning record. :mrgreen:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is definitely the Falcons year....all the calls, ball bounces went their way. They are a very good team but they also seem to have a bit of luck on their side too.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
adeltaY":326meyco said:
Falcons offense is great but GB was absolutely decimated by injuries. They lost six players during this game alone and were playing a second year UDFA CB in man coverage against Julio. Lost 3/5 OL players, which led to Rodgers facing way more pressure than usual .... and they still looked far superior to the Hawks OL. Jordy and Davante Adams were playing hurt as well. Add the poor turnover luck, dropped passes, and you have almost no chance and certainly zero margin for error to even have a shot.

There just aren't/weren't any truly dominant defenses in this year's playoffs. The Giants got waxed @ Lambeau and the Seahawks got dismantled in ATL. Even if Denver made it, they probably would've got wrecked by NE. Houston had the best defense left, but Osweiler was so terrible it didn't matter.

BTW I've been reading around and GB fans are absolutely calling for Capers' head, as well as McCarthy's and Ted Thompson's.

You made many great points.

GB was a seriously hobbled team, and yes, their fans still demand better. That's what a winning franchise does - the hometown wants to go to the Big Show every season.

And yes, Falcons are legit good. I recall some in here saying prior to the Hawks-Falcons game how our D was going to give them fits. Hah. Not this year's Hawks. No way, no how. They were the much better team on both sides of the ball and from a coaching perspective.

The Patriots will have their hands full, but they are the Patriots, so it could be a great SB game this year. Certainly from a QB vs QB perspective, one of the most talented showdowns at that position in some time. Two amazing pocket passers who carve up defenses via meticulous timing routes.

evergreen

Reaction score
They get everything that falls on the ground. There just red hot. We've been there. Just not at this time of year...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Falcons would have given us hell even at the Clink. They did, back in October - we won on the Julio no-call. We still could have beaten them, though - it just comes down to who executes better. If you're good enough to be in the playoffs, you're good enough to compete.

blue 22

Reaction score
I wont say anything negative but, that is why Kyle Shanahan will be getting a head coaching gig and others wont.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bitter":evkqll46 said:
Year of The Hawk":evkqll46 said:
sdog1981":evkqll46 said:

Also in fairness, many DCs own Bevell.
Five straight double-digit win seasons would suggest different.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
sdog1981":3jd9u81v said:
Everybody owns Bevell. Show me one defensive coordinator Bevell has consistently outsmarted; and teams that are perennially terrible don't count, for obvious reasons.

Siouxhawk":3jd9u81v said:
There you go confusing correlation with causation again. If our defense was league-average throughout the Russell Wilson era, we'd probably have one playoff appearance in that time.

Josea16

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":zo401gi3 said:
Falcons would have given us hell even at the Clink. They did, back in October - we won on the Julio no-call. We still could have beaten them, though - it just comes down to who executes better. If you're good enough to be in the playoffs, you're good enough to compete.
I agree but even having an average OL completely changes this so that's why I just don't buy into Atlanta yet. New England is a whole different beast then what Atlanta faced this year especially with two weeks of preparation time.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30o085e3 said:
sdog1981":30o085e3 said:
Everybody owns Bevell. Show me one defensive coordinator Bevell has consistently outsmarted; and teams that are perennially terrible don't count, for obvious reasons.

Siouxhawk":30o085e3 said:
There you go confusing correlation with causation again. If our defense was league-average throughout the Russell Wilson era, we'd probably have one playoff appearance in that time.
I'm not confusing anything. We have been the most successful NFC team this decade. Obviously Pete's mantra is to roll with the defense and succeed with a low-risk, ball-control offense. Our record and playoff showing proves that the formula works. So in other words, the offense under Bevell has held up its end of the bargain to the tune of winning at just under a 70 percent success rate. That qualifies as owning our opponents.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Do you understand the fact that offense and defense aren't just magically responsible in equal parts for a team's success? Some games, an offense might account for 60% of a win. Some games, 20%. It varies with every team. One thing that has been enormously consistent, however, is that our defense wins us games way more often than our offense.

Tell you what...Go look up how many games in the Russell Wilson era where the Seahawks defense held the opponent to below the league-average points per game number, then look at how many games our offense scored above the league-average points per game number.

Our defense has been way more responsible for our success than our offense has just like how the offense has been way more responsible for New England's success than their defense has in the Tom Brady era.