Want a kick in the gut?? Seattle beat both Superbowl teams

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Regular season wins mean squat. Would have thought that was obvious when the Falcons whooped us in the playoff re-match.

Seymour

Reaction score
We could beat anybody, and we could lose to anybody. That is not a championship formula, so we will once again watch.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I remember back when the Giants won their first Super Bowl. Seattle beat the Giants and the Broncos (the other Super Bowl team) and the Seahawks were the hottest team at the end of the season but just missed the playoffs because of losing a tie breaker (10-6, I believe was their record). That season hurt a lot for years to come. Probably the last good team the Seahawks had for almost 2 decades.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1dbfy8bt said:
Regular season wins mean squat. Would have thought that was obvious when the Falcons whooped us in the playoff re-match.

I get what you're saying. But i'll counter with the Arizona game. That one in particular meant a whole lot. I don't care what anybody says we beat ATL in the Clink.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
gowazzu02":89c78kuv said:
Coug_Hawk08":89c78kuv said:

I get what you're saying. But i'll counter with the Arizona game. That one in particular meant a whole lot. I don't care what anybody says we beat ATL in the Clink.

I guess I meant in terms of beating any particular opponent. Obviously the record overall matters, and I agree with you, getting the 2nd seed would have improved our chances. But we were destroyed by the Falcons because they got better and we regressed since the previous meeting. They stepped up, we didn't. home field wouldn't have saved us.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2mapxik1 said:
gowazzu02":2mapxik1 said:
Coug_Hawk08":2mapxik1 said:

I guess I meant in terms of beating any particular opponent. Obviously the record overall matters, and I agree with you, getting the 2nd seed would have improved our chances. But we were destroyed by the Falcons because they got better and we regressed since the previous meeting. They stepped up, we didn't. home field wouldn't have saved us.

I dont know. Whether intentional or a "nba like" side effect. Maybe the devin hester return doesn't get flagged in Seattle. We were on the verge of going up 17-7 which could have changed the entire game..."could have" of course key term and woulda coulda shoulda we didn't get hfa and lost. But like I said i'll take our chances vs anybody at home.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It just shows that we are still one of the elite teams in the league and with a little more health and improved offensive line play, we can win it again next year in Minneapolis.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
While that is true, we've also lost to 3 sub .500 teams (Rams, Saints and Cards). This is still a very good team but if we want to win another Superbowl the inconsistencies need to be fixed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
gowazzu02":wny4ql4b said:
Coug_Hawk08":wny4ql4b said:

Maybe, certainly would have helped.

Once again the playoffs proved how valuable HFA and getting a bye is, and how dumb it was to squander it away against Arizona. For some reason this team has decided they can just turn it on down the stretch, and that mindset obviously isn't working.

I thought last year showed that to them, but guess not. We needed another road playoff loss.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fksohr6 said:
gowazzu02":1fksohr6 said:
Coug_Hawk08":1fksohr6 said:

Once again the playoffs proved how valuable HFA and getting a bye is, and how dumb it was to squander it away against Arizona. For some reason this team has decided they can just turn it on down the stretch, and that mindset obviously isn't working.

I thought last year showed that to them, but guess not. We needed another road playoff loss.

For some reason? The reason is clear. It is drilled into them every day. "It's not how you start, it's how you finish".

mrt144

Reaction score
We also lost some doozies against mediocre to bad teams. Such is life.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Reminds me of watching Houston vs Orlando in the Finals the year that the Supersonics were undefeeated against both teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1m502vfj said:
Sgt. Largent":1m502vfj said:
gowazzu02":1m502vfj said:
Coug_Hawk08":1m502vfj said:

For some reason? The reason is clear. It is drilled into them every day. "It's not how you start, it's how you finish".

Another Pete-ism is "every week's a championship opportunity."

So why is the team picking and choosing what's important to listen to. This is the NFL, EVERY SINGLE WEEK IS VITAL.

classicaaron

Reaction score
why does everyone refuse to acknowledge that Seattle is average. We win games we maybe shouldn't and lose games we probably shouldn't. We are up and then down, that basically puts us in the middle, average. bad teams always lose, good teams always win. we do neither, again average. average teams don't make super bowls. pretty simple.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
classicaaron":3udxmp81 said:
why does everyone refuse to acknowledge that Seattle is average. We win games we maybe shouldn't and lose games we probably shouldn't. We are up and then down, that basically puts us in the middle, average. bad teams always lose, good teams always win. we do neither, again average. average teams don't make super bowls. pretty simple.
If you go by draft position, we were the 7th best team in a league of 32 this past season. Certainly better than average and an obvious Super Bowl contender on paper again next year at this point.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
8-8 teams are average, we at least made the playoffs every year so far.

We had major injuries to most of our starters this year. The injury bug plague us big this time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
classicaaron":1wnw69vj said:

Maybe average for the Pete Carroll era, but certainly not average in general.

But if you're putting a disclaimer on average being compared to the Carroll era run of NFC Championship and SB appearances? Then I agree with you.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Falcons pulled a Seahawk and played out of their minds late.

We didn't. The kick in the gut for me was Tampa. We just beat NE in Foxboro, and got completely ass kicked in Tampa. That was my que that we weren't going far.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Largent80":1gbg4kbp said:
The Falcons pulled a Seahawk and played out of their minds late.

We didn't. The kick in the gut for me was Tampa. We just beat NE in Foxboro, and got completely ass kicked in Tampa. That was my que that we weren't going far.
Iirc we were out not just Britt but also ET, Bennett, Rawls, CJ, and more. Britt was the biggest hit, with us scoring only 5 points.

Was also tough because of it being a back to back east coast game, following the win over the Pats as you say.

We were something like 7-2 going in.