Kickoff rules

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Hey anyone know the kickoff rules and if you have to declare an onside kickoff attempt?

Just wondering because whenever you see a kickoff the recieving team just automatically turns and runs towards the kick returner ready to block and I was wondring why theres no fake kickoffs that are cheeky onside attempts if that makes sense?

Also who watched the NFCCG, anyone else think after Atlantas first drive when they scored and had a penalty enforced at kickoff should have tried an onside?

They kicked off from the 50, a TB starts from the 25 and an onside kick has to go 10 but usually 10-15 so youd only be gifting 10 or so yards if you failed seemed like a good chance to stamp authority (although didnt need it at all in the end).

sutz

Reaction score
First things first.....No you do not have to "declare" an onside kick. That might happen, so to speak, based on personnel on the field, but yes you can do it as a surprise.

And yes, it is not a bad idea to go onsides if you're kicking from the 50. Most teams don't do that, but you could.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":2sfcq4f9 said:
Hey anyone know the kickoff rules and if you have to declare an onside kickoff attempt?

Just wondering because whenever you see a kickoff the recieving team just automatically turns and runs towards the kick returner ready to block and I was wondring why theres no fake kickoffs that are cheeky onside attempts if that makes sense?

Also who watched the NFCCG, anyone else think after Atlantas first drive when they scored and had a penalty enforced at kickoff should have tried an onside?

They kicked off from the 50, a TB starts from the 25 and an onside kick has to go 10 but usually 10-15 so youd only be gifting 10 or so yards if you failed seemed like a good chance to stamp authority (although didnt need it at all in the end).

I thought they wasted an opportunity there. Not for an onside kick but a pooch kick near goal line forcing them to run it back. They started at the 50 and could have backed them up deep. A wasted opportunity there IMHO. Although they did not need it in the end.

mrt144

Reaction score
EmbattleTheeHawks":mus7kusj said:

Yeah, they were talking about that on Football Outsiders and why not do an onside when kicking from the 50. I would love for a coach to play as aggressive as they suggest.

sutz

Reaction score
I remember a few years back there was a Rams game where they sort of randomly did an onsides kick in the middle of the game. In the post game presser, the Coach said he wanted to stop the other team from automatically dropping back into coverage for the return. Kind of answers the first question. Yes they can do that whenever they like.

potatohead

Reaction score
How long have you followed football?

Sean Payton did just this to start the second half the year the Saints won the Superbowl... 2009 season I believe?