Would you take a flier on Brandon Marshall?

2_0_6

Reaction score
My brother lives in New York and talk radio back there is talking about trading or even releasing Brandon Marshall. Even though he's no longer in his prime, I think he would fill the exact void this team needs at WR.

With the Jets sounding like they would pretty much take anything on to shed his salary, I wonder if they would take Kearse? :D

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/ ... 50529.html

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
This team has bigger needs to spend money on than WR. Kearse's 2017 cap number is 4.033 million. If we trade him then 3.67 of that becomes dead cap money in 2017. Marshall's base salary is 7.50 million.

I don't think for one instant that Kearse is worth $4.03 million.

However I'd rather do that than essentially spend $11.17 million for one year of Brandon Marshall.

Josea16

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":bnjxaha7 said:
My brother lives in New York and talk radio back there is talking about trading or even releasing Brandon Marshall. Even though he's no longer in his prime, I think he would fill the exact void this team needs at WR.

With the Jets sounding like they would pretty much take anything on to shed his salary, I wonder if they would take Kearse? :D

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/ ... 50529.html
I would love it for the right price but if we get any outside FA just go OT or Calais Campbell. That or trade or draft. Hopefully DT, CB, Safety, RB, TE and whatever else.

sutz

Reaction score
I'd rather see the continued improvement of Richardson, Lockett, and McEvoy.

High priced FA WR seems like a waste of precious resources to me.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
If they release him, I really wonder how much he will get on the open market. No where near his contract now.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm gonna get flak for this. But this offense could really use a #1 receiver, rather than Graham and the three shrimps. As clutch as they are, Graham isn't fast, and the shrimps sometimes lose their battles at the LOS as well as some jump passes. Everyone wants a big-fast guy, and for good reason.

However, I don't see Seattle going after one in free agency, especially given how our current receivers overperform so reliably. The draft is the place to look. A lot of folks will be upset if we don't emerge with two offensive linemen with our first two picks, but if a Julio somehow falls to us because of character flags or something, I'll be ecstatic.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We need a physical WR. Looking at Julio Jones man we need a guy who can beat the press off the LOS. Is there anyone in the draft that we might take a flyer on?

Josea16

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":r6bfjbqh said:
I'm gonna get flak for this. But this offense could really use a #1 receiver, rather than Graham and the three shrimps. As clutch as they are, Graham isn't fast, and the shrimps sometimes lose their battles at the LOS as well as some jump passes. Everyone wants a big-fast guy, and for good reason.

However, I don't see Seattle going after one in free agency, especially given how our current receivers overperform so reliably. The draft is the place to look. A lot of folks will be upset if we don't emerge with two offensive linemen with our first two picks, but if a Julio somehow falls to us because of character flags or something, I'll be ecstatic.
Yeah, but keep hoping....as it is we got extremely lucky to get Lockett. The man is nearly an Antonio Brown but with much better upside. I hope they do somethng in FA for the OL and defense in the draft. Especially CB, FS, DT. I think we can resign Willson if we want to.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Will it matter if we keep the same OC?

I am sure that we would find a way to not use Marshall effectively just like we do with Graham.

But until we get decent even barely average OC ability in house, it won't matter.

Our offense put up historically horrific scoring #s for a supposed playoff team in MULTIPLE games. In MULTIPLE games in the middle of a playoff home stretch.

It isn't the playing pieces that are the issue, the guy moving them on the board is probably more the issue.

Josea16

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2f8luv08 said:

I am sure that we would find a way to not use Marshall effectively just like we do with Graham.

But until we get decent even barely average OC ability in house, it won't matter.

Our offense put up historically horrific scoring #s for a supposed playoff team in MULTIPLE games. In MULTIPLE games in the middle of a playoff home stretch.

It isn't the playing pieces that are the issue, the guy moving them on the board is probably more the issue.
It's the OL. no OC can work behind that mess not even Shanahan. Please go to the 49er's....please you average guy. (Shanahan).

Seafan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ysja2qt said:

That's my feeling every time the discussion of adding an offensive skill position is brought up.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I don't want to give Bevell any new toys, he just breaks them.

If Pete isn't going to change up this chump OC then add oline help where you can and pour whatever is left on the defensive side and hope the talent makes up for the lack of ballz in the defensive play calling.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2r0wnzq5 said:
I think ADB would tell you our OC is brilliant. And I trust Doug a wee bit more than some of you.

I think Sherm would tell you our OC isn't brilliant and i think I trust Sherm more than some of you. We can both play this stupid game. You aren't getting paid by each Bevell defense, you can let one mention go. The question was is Marshall worth a flier, no I don't think our OC would utilize him, the money is spent better elsewhere. I answered the question I don't want to spin another thread off it's topic and make it a siouxheartsBevell thread

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And I wouldn't be a fan of acquiring Brandon as I think his attention has turned to his broadcasting/media personality career too much and he'd be jetting back to New York every Monday or Tuesday. Those cross-country trips would take too much of a toll for him to be productive.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Problem isn't really with the skill positions except from the consistency at RB and QB. OL consistency is worse than both and consists of the majority of the root problem.

Defense needs another pass rusher. And interior pass rusher, in particular, that can collapse the pocket without having to go around an OL is preferable. Long armed bull rusher, in short. Our fast and quick undersized guys are great, but we really lack the ability to take away the QB's stepping up in the pocket and so our pass rush lacks symmetry. Even Bennett, when he plays inside on 3rd downs, is a speed rusher most of the time. We need to control the pocket better on defense.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Seafan":32p9xpt3 said:
TwistedHusky":32p9xpt3 said:

That's my feeling every time the discussion of adding an offensive skill position is brought up.

Will it matter if we keep the same QB? RW may have plateaud. Too many misses to WRs which was also a problem his rookie year. Too many misread on routes and wrong decision for throws. I am changing my tone on Bevell. Cable has broken Russell Wilson and he is slowly becoming David Carr. If Cable can't fix it this year, than Pete needs to be shown the door. We can't have Pete destroy a franchise QB due to his arrogance on the OL. Marshall would be beastly, but I don't think it would be of use due to Cable.

Josea16

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1stmjket said:
Seafan":1stmjket said:
TwistedHusky":1stmjket said:

Will it matter if we keep the same QB? RW may have plateaud. Too many misses to WRs which was also a problem his rookie year. Too many misread on routes and wrong decision for throws. I am changing my tone on Bevell. Cable has broken Russell Wilson and he is slowly becoming David Carr. If Cable can't fix it this year, than Pete needs to be shown the door. We can't have Pete destroy a franchise QB due to his arrogance on the OL. Marshall would be beastly, but I don't think it would be of use due to Cable.
Yup. I believe Cable is the problem. He built this bullshit OL despite having a franchise quarterback. He needs to go, and if not Pete can go, and don't let the door hit you where it split you. I don't care about the last five years (Souixhawk). I care about now and the future. This assistant coaching staff is wasting the best years of the best team we have had and in the NFL just like the 1990's Cowboys and it's disgusting and pissing me off. All while shortening Wilson's career just like Airman.

We don't need Brandon I agree. We don't need any skill players. We need OL and a good DT, an actual DB and backup safety.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Russell has been fairly successful with bigger, physical receivers in the past (Sidney Rice and Chris Matthews in XLIX).

It would be nice to give Russell a big target at wide out, and could complement Baldwin on the other side. Marshall may not be the answer to that, I'd like to see the team look for that in the draft or the CFL

Ozzy

Reaction score
Back to the original topic I would love Marshall for the right price. It's not a huge priority but he would be a massive upgrade over someone like Kearse and give Wilson another big target. Don't think it happens though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
No need to trade for someone who will be released. Marshall will be released if there are no buyers for his services. WR is a lesser need with Richardson playing better. Now if Alshon Jeffery is available, then....