How are we going to avoid another OL dumpster fire?

blazen2392

Reaction score
I feel like everything hinges on the development of our current starters of ifedi-glowinski-britt. If they do not take a step forward we are likely going to have another shit season.

Do you think pete is serious about not bringing in anyone in the FA? literally all we need a a league average OL and we will be sniffing at a superbowl again. What can we do to get this done? Is it OL coaching that is our problem?

Seymour

Reaction score
As long as Cable is here, it will not get much better, especially in the pass blocking. Pete acting like all is good and next year will be all better because they are a year older inspires zero confidence in me. I expect a very similar season, but just one decent OL tackle could change that. At this time and point, we are due to get lucky on one choice we make on oline, since we clearly cannot rely on our grading skills. We will see.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
We could always get a new head coach that is offensive-minded and spends all our resources on the offense while putting a soft defense on the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it's business as usual for the O-line. Draft and maybe bring in a veteran FA or two for depth.

Unfortunately this is not only one of the worst draft classes for O-lineman, but it's one of the worst FA classes. So I wouldn't expect a big signing or trade.

Two names on the FA list are intriguing to me though. Okung and Giacomini are both FA's, so I'd be fine with bringing either back on a 1-2 year lowball incentive loaded contract.

razor150

Reaction score
Quite honestly, I doubt we'll b much better unless we solidify our tackle positions. Our young guards will probably benefit greatly from someone who can do their job, preferably someone who has done it in the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2b43gpuv said:
We could always get a new head coach that is offensive-minded and spends all our resources on the offense while putting a soft defense on the field.
That would make half the board happy I'm sure..Then they would find out pretty fast why we didn't have all these things they wanted before

The Breh

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mh7ycas said:
Two names on the FA list are intriguing to me though. Okung and Giacomini are both FA's, so I'd be fine with bringing either back on a 1-2 year lowball incentive loaded contract.
One injury prone, one penalty prone.
I suppose I'd take the penalty prone one because Giacomini would be an upgrade and couldn't manage to draw more flags than we already suffer from from this current line :twisted: :mrgreen:

Boycie

Reaction score
blazen2392":1s48r5ax said:
I feel like everything hinges on the development of our current starters of ifedi-glowinski-britt. If they do not take a step forward we are likely going to have another shit season.

Do you think pete is serious about not bringing in anyone in the FA? literally all we need a a league average OL and we will be sniffing at a superbowl again. What can we do to get this done? Is it OL coaching that is our problem?

Didn't you hear Pete? Everything is fine. Nothing to worry about. :stirthepot:

Largent80

Reaction score
Tackles on both sides. I would suppose if nothing happens in the draft or F.A. they stand pat or try a trade.

Maybe Fant improves? after all, he was thrown to the wolves with no experience and actually did well if you take that into consideration. For Gilliam, I don't know of any excuses for his play, he's GOT experience.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I feel like we only really need to add a RT and a swiss army knife type vet that could fill in in place of injury or if Fant just doesn't progress at all.

I understand how poor the line played, but I really believe if we keep the interior line in tact and just improve at tackle, we will be fine.. and possibly even a pretty damn good unit.

Tackle is the key though, as L80 stated above.

sondevil89

Reaction score
First of all, you have to have someone who can actually evaluate talent, someone we clearly do not have right now. Those two vets we brought in last year were not just veterans, they were already retired!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
sondevil89":26z633qi said:
First of all, you have to have someone who can actually evaluate talent, someone we clearly do not have right now. Those two vets we brought in last year were not just veterans, they were already retired!

I know for a fact we coveted Alex Mack but didn't have the money to get the deal done. Something Pete actually confirmed at the end of our season. He's pretty talented yeah?

Sowell and Webb were absolutely terrible signings, but they were also what you expect to get for that salary. OL is a premium position.. you're not getting a really good player for cheap very often.

One intriguing option I could see us entertain is kicking Ifedi over to RT and signing a G in FA. There are much better options in FA at the guard position than there are at tackle. Unless Matt Kalil tickles your fancy.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24f41ft7 said:

If Breno came back on the cheap, I'd be more than happy with that.. however, he's also going to be 32 next season.. how much has he regressed since leaving?

Seymour

Reaction score
The Breh":s40ktup6 said:
Sgt. Largent":s40ktup6 said:
I suppose I'd take the penalty prone one because Giacomini would be an upgrade and couldn't manage to draw more flags than we already suffer from from this current line :twisted: :mrgreen:

Breno hasn't been penalty prone since the 2012 season. Last 3 years with NY he has averaged 5.6 per YEAR and that is better than either of our 2 tackles have done.

Also Okung played all 16 games last year.

Amazing what olineman can do once they leave and enter a better than Cable ZBS system.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Breno coming back for a lower $ contract. He would be a big upgrade over what they had this year at RT. And he brings that nasty that we need on the O Line.

King Dog

Reaction score
I think our offensive line by default is going to be a little better next season just because we already know where everyone is going to be playing the 1st day of OTA's and they played the position this last season. Ifedi,Fant and even Glowinski should have that year one to year two jump that everyone talks about. Britt will know the position from day 1.

Assuming no personnel changes are made anyway.

Do I think they're going to be at least "average?" LOL

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2h3gkic3 said:
Wouldn't mind Breno coming back for a lower $ contract. He would be a big upgrade over what they had this year at RT. And he brings that nasty that we need on the O Line.

That is what I really liked about Breno. When RW went down he'd run over and be the first to pick up his little buddy. Also, he learned to real in the penalties and could get under the D's skin and draw some 15 yarders against them his last season here.

King Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":1cmywymk said:
SoulfishHawk":1cmywymk said:

That is what I really liked about Breno. When RW went down he'd run over and be the first to pick up his little buddy. Also, he learned to real in the penalties and could get under the D's skin and draw some 15 yarders against them his last season here.

Me too. Brings some nastiness to the team, which I still feel we're lacking.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Seymour":qxjf7r8v said:
The Breh":qxjf7r8v said:
Sgt. Largent":qxjf7r8v said:

Breno hasn't been penalty prone since the 2012 season. Last 3 years with NY he has averaged 5.6 per YEAR and that is better than either of our 2 tackles have done.

Also Okung played all 16 games last year.

Amazing what olineman can do once they leave and enter a better than Cable ZBS system.
So leaving a system is a cure for being injury prone? Okung was always average to above average as a player in Seattle....when he was healthy. Other than playing all 16 games this year, Okung probably had his worst season as a pro on tape. Most Bronco fans would tell you he was a pretty big disappointment.

As far as Breno, again....he was also good when he was here. So him going somewhere else and playing good there should not be a surprise to anyone.

Seymour

Reaction score
King Dog":2x4s01wd said:
I think our offensive line by default is going to be a little better next season just because we already know where everyone is going to be playing the 1st day of OTA's and they played the position this last season. Ifedi,Fant and even Glowinski should have that year one to year two jump that everyone talks about. Britt will know the position from day 1.

Assuming no personnel changes are made anyway.

Do I think they're going to be at least "average?" LOL

I would lay down serious $$ that it does not pan out that way even if they all are back and healthy. Cable not tinker with the oline? Preposterous!