Two rookies to be excited about on each side of the ball

hawknation2017

Reaction score
C.J. Prosise and DeAndre Elliott. Both are explosive athletes who looked like studs in the short amount of time they were able to play this season.

I could see them fitting in very well next season: Prosise playing the lightning to Thomas Rawls' thunder at RB in the 3rd down back role and Elliot taking over at cornerback opposite Richard Sherman.

Elliot has the length, explosiveness, instincts, and the right amount of aggressiveness to become another special player for this defense.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
ivotuk":2b2afuwi said:
What was elliot's status this year?

Elliot was Shead's backup who flashed during the preseason.

He came in for Shead in the final game. It was telling that Terrell, Lane, Wright, even Sherman were the ones getting burned after Shead went out . . . not Elliot, who did a fine job I thought.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Certainly could use the help. If they use a high draft pick for CB there should be some competition there as well.

bighawk

Reaction score
I thought the same thing about Elliott to be an undrafted rookie. We need to replenish our secondary in order to make this defense back to LOB standards. Speed and length is what's needed. My 2 rookies are Jefferson and Fant. With another off season of work and training he should be much improved over last year. This years rookie class just needed a little more seasoning to be just Right they should be just fine this year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3lxih585 said:
Prosise needs to stay on the field. 5 games played...

His durability is a big concern.

Bu, he is exciting.

This is where I'm at. I like how good he looks, but he runs too upright and takes too many big shots. If he can lower his pad level, or avoid more contact, he'll be fine I hope.

I haven't seen enough of Elliot to make me not want them to draft a CB in the 1st round. It's a great draft for CB's.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Not rookies but maybe CB's Seisay and Jean-Baptiste will come back strong?

DT Garrison Smith flashed some too.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":5r8qtdkz said:
What was elliot's status this year?

Should be in the mix for playing time. His snap counts of 2016: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ntasy/2016

Elliott was a player I thought Seattle would be interested in prior to the draft and thought they'd take in in R6. We got him in R8, which is bonus. His length is extreme even by Seahawk standards. He played in every game, so he wasn't just a guy deep on the depth chart. Although he was pressed into service due to injury as a CB -- I think there is room for some optimism as the game slows down for him and he benefits from a second offseason.

Remember, he beat out guys that had been in the system and still were on their rookie deals (Simon comes to mind). So he was competitive enough to scuttle established depth guys that were still on the cheap.

His UDFA deal runs through the end of 2018. Eligible for extension after next season. A battle worth keeping an eye on is Elliott v. Lane. Lane's deal basically makes him largely safe for 2017. But one of the cap/roster decisions in the 2018 offseason will be whether to extend Elliott (and if Lane struggles again -- cutting Lane).

Elliott is the Lane hedge if he has another bad year.

Seattle also has a hole at starting RCB. So we're adding at least one CB this offseason. Seattle can add two and I think they will, given their record over the last couple of drafts, of double dipping in classes where depth is strongest. But I don't think taking two will reflect on Elliott in the slightest.

getnasty

Reaction score
My two would be Prosise and Reed. Prosise has a little La'veon Bell/David Johnson feel to me if he can stay healthy the sky's the limit with kid. With all the attention the Graham and Baldwin receive getting him on some one on one match ups with a LB will be huge. As far as Reed goes he came in and filled in for Mebane perfectly. He's only gonna get better and if he can grow a little in the pass rush game on early downs he'll end up being a stud for the next 6+ years. Like mentioned earlier Jefferson is very intriguing and don't forget about Nick Vannett

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
As for offense, I think I'm going with McAvoy.

Obviously many of us were tantalized by his unique size. And he was last year's preseason darling.

But I think he easily eclipsed that brief preview during the regular season. He made a LOT of real impact plays. Probably more in one year than we saw in the entire careers of other similar players like Helfet. I'd say he had more splash plays this year as we got in total from Harvin.

The guy just has that knack. And he looks very smooth on the field against the regulars. Doesn't look like he's overmatched at all. He looks like he belongs.

I'm excited to see if he doesn't get something like the Frank Clark treatment next year. It feels like a situation where Seattle may consider that we didn't get Tanner involved enough.

This is a good class of R2/3 WRs. But I have to think Seattle is in good shape with the realistic expectation that Richardson and/or McEvoy can make much stronger contributions at the position. They probably can take their time bringing Lockett back from his late injury.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think Ifedi, Reed, Prosise, Collins, Elliot, Fant and McEvoy all showed flashes of potential that they can compete and carve out quality roles moving forward. Boykins and Hunt to a lesser degree as more career backups.

I'm more excited about the unknowns like Vannett, and particularly Odhiambo and Jefferson.

Vannett still has the potential to be Zach Miller 2.0 with Willson and Williams FA, Vannett is currently the 2nd TE and might have a bigger role.

Odhiambo came in some to some mixed results, but I believe with a gut feel he'll develop into a cornerstone OL, he has that kind of make-up to him that he'll just get better and better each day on and off the field.

Jefferson might be the most exciting of all because before his injury he was looking like a solid player. Seahawks need a guy much like Clinton McDonald to be a quality interior pass-rusher in the rotation. How he comes back though from his injury, which might have been the same knee he had trouble with in college, is uncertain.... Which is why Jeff is categorized in this group unlike Prosise.

bighawk

Reaction score
Prosise durability is the key because he has great speed and can catch. Jefferson has the look of a difference maker. The team signed a guy named Shaneil Jenkins the cowboys where really high on him last year in training camp before he got waived\injured he had 2 sacks during the preseason. I hope he and or Jefferson can give us interior pass rush on the cheap. They are both explosive.

Seafan

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3fjsa87w said:
Tyvis Powell has big-time potential, I hope we can get him back.

He never showed it. He did show that he doesn't like to tackle. Doubt he returns.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":8k17jbn5 said:
Prosise needs to stay on the field. 5 games played...

His durability is a big concern.

Bu, he is exciting.

Yeah, it seems like we get a player that comes with all the bells & whistles, get's banged up, and he get's tagged with the "Made Of Glass" label.
I thought that in 2015, Richardson was going to be one of those, what an outstanding athlete he turned out to be.
Here's hoping Prosise can bring it back next season like Richardson did. :pray:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
this entire draft class was one big injury report. tough to reload when they are all hurt

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm fully on board with Prosise and think he can be a pro-bowl type player. I really hope you're right on Elliott and haven't given him much thought to be honest.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The defensive rookie I was most excited about this year was Jefferson.

He was tearing it up in training camp and pre-season. But he couldn't stay healthy, so I'm hoping he can get right and get in that interior rotation and pick up where he left off last pre-season.