Seahawks Redzone

sdog1981

Reaction score
A very good read posted today about the Seahawks in the red zone. The author took a very in-depth look at teams performance in the red zone. The conclusion?

Wilson and Bevell suck in the red zone. A joint effort if you will.

Let's not talk about Bevell this time.

But Wilson? Man, that could suck. Trent Dilfer was on ESPN before the divisional round talking about Wilson attempting to hold the ball for a long time causes him to miss on some of the quick passes into tight windows you see in red zone passing situations.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/1/29/143 ... -stats-nfl

sondevil89

Reaction score
sdog1981":38jmdvbg said:
A very good read posted today about the Seahawks in the red zone. The author took a very in-depth look at teams performance in the red zone. The conclusion?

But Wilson? Man, that could suck. Trent Dilfer was on ESPN before the divisional round talking about Wilson attempting to hold the ball for a long time causes him to miss on some of the quick passes into tight windows you see in red zone passing situations.

In the second half of last year RW became very good at the quick pass and that salvaged the season from what easily could have been a losing season. This year he seemed to regress and while much of that was due to injury, he wasn't much better when he got well.

As for his red-zone proficiency, there isn't nearly as much space in a shortened field with a higher concentration of players. For the most part, he has been able to overcome his height issues, but I wonder if that doesn't play a role in his red-zone efficiency.

chris98251

Reaction score
sondevil89":1ussa1tq said:
sdog1981":1ussa1tq said:

In the second half of last year RW became very good at the quick pass and that salvaged the season from what easily could have been a losing season. This year he seemed to regress and while much of that was due to injury, he wasn't much better when he got well.

As for his red-zone proficiency, there isn't nearly as much space in a shortened field with a higher concentration of players. For the most part, he has been able to overcome his height issues, but I wonder if that doesn't play a role in his red-zone efficiency.

Three ways to counter this, shotgun, but that tips the play, roll outs but that tends to give you only half the field, moving pocket could help, play calls that are quicker to develop, like basketball catch's where only our 6"7 receiver can go up and get it. Mostly improving the run game in the red zone specifically goal line inside the 5, when they have to think run first they don't get off the blocks as fast to apply pressure.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
One of the points from the article was "Throw it to jimmy"

Anthony!

Reaction score
Okay first things first. Well for one you cannot actually exclude Bevel as he calls the plays.

Wilsons compt% in the red zone is not good, as the post states. However is efficiency % is very very good at 72%. Wilson was 15th in attempts in the redzone but was sacked the most in the league in the redzone. I know that Dilfer said he held onto the ball to long when there were small windows, I have seen this, but the question is, is that Wilsons choice or PC adversity to TOs, something we may never know. Then comes the oline well enough said they suck. Suffice it to say there are numerous reason why they struggle, Bevel, Rw, Oline, PC. As the writer says at the end it is pretty much everyone.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Anthony!":28pe02ln said:
Okay first things first. Well for one you cannot actually exclude Bevel as he calls the plays.

Wilsons compt% in the red zone is not good, as the post states. However is efficiency % is very very good at 72%. Wilson was 15th in attempts in the redzone but was sacked the mos tin the league in the redzone. I know that Dilfer said he held onto the ball to long when there were small windows, I have seen this, but the question is ts that Wilsons choice or PC adversity to TOs, something we may never know. Then comes the oline well enough said they suck. Suffice it to say there are numerous reason why they struggle, Bevel, Rw, Oline, PC. As the writer says at the end it is pretty much everyone.

This is my major Seattle sports fan fear. That the coaching staff/system is going to hold Wilsons development back and he might regress into this wonky David Carr syndrome.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Wilson is a mediocre at best RedZone QB - but this season he was too often just plain bad.

His lack of height likely plays a role. He really is an almost-midget compared to the O and D lines he's attempting to see over.

With Beast, RW never really had to develop that split-second timing that great redzone QB's have. They had a decent O-Line and a great running back who could smash the ball into the endzone. That, and the fact RW just seems to struggle with basic pocket-timing play, is magnified in the redzone. RW is a slandlot QB. That doesn't work in the shortened field redzone scenario - and opposing teams know it.

If RW hopes to get to the next level of his playing career, he needs to greatly improve his pocket-timing play. Hopefully his lack of height does not hinder that need too much.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":2amdmup2 said:
Anthony!":2amdmup2 said:

Wilsons compt% in the red zone is not good, as the post states. However is efficiency % is very very good at 72%. Wilson was 15th in attempts in the redzone but was sacked the mos tin the league in the redzone. I know that Dilfer said he held onto the ball to long when there were small windows, I have seen this, but the question is ts that Wilsons choice or PC adversity to TOs, something we may never know. Then comes the oline well enough said they suck. Suffice it to say there are numerous reason why they struggle, Bevel, Rw, Oline, PC. As the writer says at the end it is pretty much everyone.

This is my major Seattle sports fan fear. That the coaching staff/system is going to hold Wilsons development back and he might regress into this wonky David Carr syndrome.

It's a legitimate concern, we will see. The good part is Rw is already amongst the best in the league and works very hard to get better every year. So as it relates to what he does we should have no worries. As it relates to play calling, oline and PC adversity to TOs that is another issue. One thing we do know it is not a height issue as some try to make out to be as he has shown he can make every throw to include over the middle, to include quick timing, slants, and every other throw, which is why I think and PC has said it is his TO adversity that comes to play here.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
My belief is that he'll continue on the trek to a Hall of Fame career

semiahmoo

Reaction score
I could care less about RW's "trek to a HOF career."

What I care about are WINS and seasons that end with the Hawks playing in the SB.

This organization has a world-class owner/facility/and in recent years, expectation by fans of excellence on the field.

The Seahawks have under-delivered the past two seasons if SB appearances are the standard by which we hold them to. (And I do.)

The Hawks were not a top four team in the league this season.

There's plenty of blame to go around for that, and injuries certainly played a big part, but RW's stall in his development is also a contributing factor. He has proven to have a desire to always improve.

I hope in 2017 he is able to do just that because this team, and yes, his career, need to return to elite status.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sdog1981":37jn27zm said:
One of the points from the article was "Throw it to jimmy"

This would've been my first professional advisement.

Hyak

Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, RW's height is a bigger factor in the red zone with the reduced space to operate. Still, I do really think that a major factor in his regression was due to the injuries that limited his running ability and factored into the play calling. Less boots and read option plays. Add in that the running game was flat out bad aside from 4 or 5 games and they become a lot easier to defend.

Anthony!

Reaction score
You know some here keep talking about his height being a factor, I am still waiting for some proof of that. So far none, all speculations, and assumptions. Well when there no facts to support you just make it up.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well if it isn't height, then we have to find another excuse.

At least height is somewhat understandable.

Frankly, I think it is less Wilson than another factor but I think Wilson clearly left a lot of chips on the table repeatedly.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Anthony!":7mlamo8s said:
You know some here keep talking about his height being a factor, I am still waiting for some proof of that. So far none, all speculations, and assumptions. Well when there no facts to support you just make it up.

No real facts to back that up. Just a theory based on lack of production. I for one want to discount it because if it was true Drew Brees would not be as efficient as he is in the red zone with only 1/2 inch height advantage.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sdog1981":jz3t8ilv said:
Anthony!":jz3t8ilv said:

No real facts to back that up. Just a theory based on lack of production. I for one want to discount it because if it was true Drew Brees would not be as efficient as he is in the red zone with only 1/2 inch height advantage.

I think it is mainly the oline and play calling, When you get down in the redzone play calling is huge and well ours sucks

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Anthony!":gdxezfiq said:
sdog1981":gdxezfiq said:
Anthony!":gdxezfiq said:

I think it is mainly the oline and play calling, When you get down in the redzone play calling is huge and well ours sucks

Part of me wonders what would happen if Wilson got hooked up with the Saints current QB coach Joe Lombardi or OC Pete Carmichael. They work wonders with that Saints O but they throw the ball a TON and burn out defensive units.